Rookie Outdoor Grower: How do they look?

• Thread starter Fortaf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fortaf

Fortaf

Hey guys and gals. I’m a first time grower from NY. I’m currently in day 7 of the drying process.

getting a little nervous because my buds are looking …ugly. I didn’t expect high quality flower , however I’m just wondering if this looks right.

currently hanging in a grow tent set at 60-60 (deg,hum).

is it normal for the buds to lose color / smell while drying ???

thanks!!

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

When they are nice and crispy outside. Remove the buds from the stalk. Take your time and give them a nice finish trim. Put the buds in sealer jars and tuck them away.
Burp them every day until they are ok to store long term, then let them cure for at least 3 months. They will smell rally nice after curing.
Don't rush them. I give mine at least 3 months in glass jars in the dark. Some have been cured and tucked away for several years. There are plenty ov how to videos on youtube.

Fortaf

Fortaf

When they are nice and crispy outside. Remove the buds from the stalk. Take your time and give them a nice finish trim. Put the buds in sealer jars and tuck them away.
Burp them every day until they are ok to store long term, then let them cure for at least 3 months. They will smell rally nice after curing.
Don't rush them. I give mine at least 3 months in glass jars in the dark. Some have been cured and tucked away for several years. There are plenty ov how to videos on youtube.
So the buds are starting to get crispy but the stalks aren’t “snapping” yet.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Sounds about right. Give them another day or so. Hanging bud does not have the aroma or color, your looking great.
Sounds like you could start working on them about any time. Just check them every day. If they get damp feeling in the jar. Dump the jar out for a couple of hours and let the buds dry. It's the moisture from deep inside the buds coming out. Wipe any moisture from the glass. Then back in the jar. Do this every day until they stay nice feeling. You know what nice bud feels like. Just make sure you do this. You don't want to end up with moldy buds in the jar after all the work you put into it. When you open the jar and it feels good a few days in a row you can stop burping and you can smoke it or let the bud cure for 3 to 4 months in the dark. Don't packm to tight. If this buds for you. Take your time and do a real nice job of trimming. Just a few buds a night when your in the mood to do it. And you will have something you can be proud to say I grew.

Last edited:
PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

They look fine and look like hash phenotypes with lots of red hairs.

But I'd go for 70-50 (degF-RH) during drying if possible, that should take about a week to finish. At 60-60 it will take longer is all.

Madbud

Madbud

Hey guys and gals. I’m a first time grower from NY. I’m currently in day 7 of the drying process.

getting a little nervous because my buds are looking …ugly. I didn’t expect high quality flower , however I’m just wondering if this looks right.

is it normal for the buds to lose color / smell while drying ???

thanks!!
They could have gone longer, do you really want to smoke all those leaves? Unless you’re north of Syracuse they could easily have gone into october…unless they had bud rot, should have asked first rookie.

Fortaf

Fortaf

Sounds about right. Give them another day or so. Hanging bud does not have the aroma or color, your looking great.
Sounds like you could start working on them about any time. Just check them every day. If they get damp feeling in the jar. Dump the jar out for a couple of hours and let the buds dry. It's the moisture from deep inside the buds coming out. Wipe any moisture from the glass. Then back in the jar. Do this every day until they stay nice feeling. You know what nice bud feels like. Just make sure you do this. You don't want to end up with moldy buds in the jar after all the work you put into it. When you open the jar and it feels good a few days in a row you can stop burping and you can smoke it or let the bud cure for 3 to 4 months in the dark. Don't packm to tight. If this buds for you. Take your time and do a real nice job of trimming. Just a few buds a night when your in the mood to do it. And you will have something you can be proud to say I grew.
Thank you my friend !! 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Fortaf

Fortaf

But I'd go for 70-50 (degF-RH) during drying if possible, that should take about a week to finish. At 60-60 it will take longer is all.
Due to the natural humidity here the room was hanging around 70-60/65 so not too far off

Fortaf

Fortaf

They could have gone longer, do you really want to smoke all those leaves? Unless you’re north of Syracuse they could easily have gone into october…unless they had bud rot, should have asked first rookie.
I actually did detect a small bit of bud rot. That’s why I decided to chop a little earlier than I wanted :/

Fortaf

Fortaf

Also I wanted to keep the leaves for a slower dry.

TSD

TSD

I leave on a lot of sugar leaves through like the first month of curing, I find it protects the inner trichomes from getting knocked off as much when I shake the jars. Once they are cured for a good few weeks,, I manicure them a bit at a time and send them back to cure longer, then they really start to tighten up and smell lovely.

Top Bottom