Room retooling to vertical need advice.

• Thread starter enigma182
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Solis Tek sells a 'digital splitter' for $70, it's a bit cheaper elsewhere in the 'net. If you like Hydrofarm connectors, Sunpulse has a 'magnetic' splitter. Honestly, I think the only difference between them is plugs and price.

What these do is split the power coming from your thousand watt ballast into two cords, so you can run a 600W bulb on each. Originally designed to allow thousand watt ballasts to run 600W bulbs- @500W apiece.

The new Gavita el ballast has an overboost feature, allowing the user to deliver up to 1150 watts. Split, this would mean 575 watts to each of two 400V el 600W bulbs, or basically perfect. This is also the only way I could think of to get the new 400V technology to go vertical without fuckin' with fixtures.

Internet pricing for the whole deal should be right around $600- not bad for two 600W lights, right?

You should ask @whazzup if you can split the power on the gavita ballast. It might now be as easy as this. Hopefully it is, but I would still ask.

ttystikk

ttystikk

You should ask @whazzup if you can split the power on the gavita ballast. It might now be as easy as this. Hopefully it is, but I would still ask.

The only difference between el 400V ballasts and the old ANSI S52 compliant stuff is the line voltage to the bulb- and what's in the bulb itself. The splitter won't care- what's the difference between 110 and 220 to a piece of cable? The 220 runs cooler...

Ballast shouldn't care, either- just be damned sure you always run both bulbs, and I wouldn't dim them.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Are you sure that the line set to the bulb is even different? It looks the same to me.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
The SE 600w 400v uses an e39 socket. 2 hots and a ground.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
My guess is that the ballasts that run 120/240 just switch the leg. Neutral to Hot.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Are you sure that the line set to the bulb is even different? It looks the same to me.

The SE 600w 400v uses an e39 socket. 2 hots and a ground.

My guess is that the ballasts that run 120/240 just switch the leg. Neutral to Hot.

I'm pretty sure that the el 400V stuff works the same as the 250V bulbs, they both run the same mogul socket and cords.

The way splitters work is by running the two bulbs in series instead of in parallel. That's how they run two 600W bulbs on 1000W. I'm just going to run el bulbs at 1150W/2 = 575W ea.

J

Jalisco Kid

I'm pretty sure that the el 400V stuff works the same as the 250V bulbs, they both run the same mogul socket and cords.

The way splitters work is by running the two bulbs in series instead of in parallel. That's how they run two 600W bulbs on 1000W. I'm just going to run el bulbs at 1150W/2 = 575W ea.
Is this an HPS ballast? If so you run an ignitor in series also? JK

J

Jalisco Kid

Have they changed the design with electronic ballasts so hps do not use an ignitor? JK

ttystikk

ttystikk

In another thread, Capulator mentioned that Gavita sets their '600W' ballasts to actually run at 660W. It's there any way to verify this?

J

Jalisco Kid

In another thread, Capulator mentioned that Gavita sets their '600W' ballasts to actually run at 660W. It's there any way to verify this?
Call them. The reason I was asking about the ignitor is it is set off to fire one bulb,now you want it to fire off two bulbs.I am old school and never owned a dig ballast long enough to tear one apart to see how they are firing off hps. JK

ttystikk

ttystikk

Call them. The reason I was asking about the ignitor is it is set off to fire one bulb,now you want it to fire off two bulbs.I am old school and never owned a dig ballast long enough to tear one apart to see how they are firing off hps. JK

The splitter device makes the two 600W bulbs run in series instead of in parallel. They use the same ignition circuitry as any digital ballast, because any thouie can do it.

ttystikk

ttystikk

The issue is mixing ANSI S52 compliant lighting with the new Green Power. That one does not do...

In practice, the wiring, plugs and mogul sockets all remain the same. I'm just restating that if you use a Greenpower ballast, be sure to use compatible bulbs.

Last edited:
woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I like this. Vertical gardening, using available space.

Mylar on walls above the trellis and overhead on the ceiling, FTW!

Flat white paint
Before 10,260—after 12,600. 2,340 lux increase.

That is huge for this small bulb. That is with only a back, no panels. With panels, the lux increases even more. That is from one standard 23w cfl at 2 inches away from meter, about where you want to be with such a bulb. Put 4 of these together under the same hood, and you get a huge increase in lux, than if they were not in a white hood.

White beats everything I tested.

Mylar, like inside a grow tent
Before 10,170—after 11,030, 860 lux increase. That's only an 8.4% increase. Mylar sucks.

purpleberry

purpleberry

6.6 x 14' room with limited amps is a tough one. Youll need to figure out exactly how many amps you can spare and go from there. Running the light at night and not using other stuff in the house will help. But in summer with the house ac and room going, tv, ect. is going to be hard. You need 200amps asap.

L

Lothbrook

I purchased 3 of the 1000w nanolux
remote I I 400v el along with 6 dual cool tubes, and a flip panel. The plan is to strip the reflectors out and stack 2 of the SE-DE bulbs in them and hang them vertically... they are the only 1000w 400v bulb on the market, I've never felt that 600w yield the same density and weight so I have always stayed away... these maxpar sede lamps are totally awesome... not to sure why gavita only makes the 400v el bulbs in 400w and 600w.... but when I discovered maxpar made these I wasted no time in buying...
I will be growing 7-8 large/tall plants around each dual set up, then lining the sides with hortilux t5 lamps with 4k,6k and uv bulbs. Also tapering the cycle so I harvest a tent some what monthly. Figure this way I can make the most of the numbers my medical document allows

Latest posts

Top Bottom