Root Aphids, Not Nitrogen Toxicity

• Thread starter Tommy Dragon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tommy Dragon

Just wanted to share something i learned the hard way... i had some plants where the leaves started to canoe... looked like nitrogen toxicity... flushed them, continued to get worse... ended up bein root aphids... if u have any gnats flyin around in ur grow and ur plants start to develope signs of nitrogen toxicity... u probably have em... they look like small specs of salt... sometimes u can see them in the drain pan or if u move the top of the soil away from the inside of the pot... these things will kill ur plants... real bad news... the eggs r found in lots of commercial soils so its good to treat right away... i use an all natural soil drench and havent had the problem since...

Last edited:
xenon730

xenon730

canoeing isn't typical of n tox. and gnats and nitrogen deficiency are both so common to say having both means you likely have root aphids is ridiculous. any time you experience symptoms that have crossover with pest symptoms, you should always check for pests. things like canoeing, deformed growth, patches on leaves, rapid changes of any kind, etc. that said nitrogen deficiency would not be on that list. I'm not trying to be confrontational but this info is flat out wrong and shouldn't be spread.

fatawa

fatawa

I gotta agree...canoeing is usualy heat related.nitro tox wud leave u with hunter green leaves(dark).niether has anything to do with bugs.mayb u had a few issues instead of 1?

T

Tommy Dragon

canoeing isn't typical of n tox. and gnats and nitrogen deficiency are both so common to say having both means you likely have root aphids is ridiculous. any time you experience symptoms that have crossover with pest symptoms, you should always check for pests. things like canoeing, deformed growth, patches on leaves, rapid changes of any kind, etc. that said nitrogen deficiency would not be on that list. I'm not trying to be confrontational but this info is flat out wrong and shouldn't be spread.
In researching the symptoms my plants were displaying there is LOTS of info out there suggesting problems like nute lock n nitrogen toxicity... i posted this in order to help anybody that might not be able to identify the problems plants display when this pest is involved...

Last edited:
T

Tommy Dragon

I apologize, i actually meant nitrogen toxicity... my mistake...

xenon730

xenon730

In researching the symptoms my plants were displaying there is LOTS of info out there suggesting problems like nute lock n nitrogen deficiency... i posted this in order to help anybody that might not be able to identify the problems plants display when this pest is involved...
right but because the information is wrong you will hurt and scare people. it is not helpful to post bad information, even with good intentions.

T

Tommy Dragon

Ok, made the edits from deficiency to toxicity... sorry about the miswording...

v12xjs

v12xjs

I often get small infestations of little white bugs that live in the roots and they come out of the runoff in my coco, sounds a bit like what you are seeing. They are called springtails and they are not harmful.
I seem to get mine free with Canna Coco :(

T

Tommy Dragon

I often get small infestations of little white bugs that live in the roots and they come out of the runoff in my coco, sounds a bit like what you are seeing. They are called springtails and they are not harmful.
I seem to get mine free with Canna Coco :(
Did u have gnats too? The aphids have winged ones that look like fungus gnats, but r actually the ones that lay the eggs...

v12xjs

v12xjs

I thought they could fly but they just jump pretty high, which is why they are called springtails.
I'll try and find a pic but to my old eyes they mostly just look like white dots.

Schkronis

Schkronis

I thought they could fly but they just jump pretty high, which is why they are called springtails.
I'll try and find a pic but to my old eyes they mostly just look like white dots.

White and jumpy? Springtails, actually good guys - I have a lot of them in my top soil. I read somewhere that they spread beneficial fungi, due to Benny fungi attracted to their excrements (complex sugars may be).

v12xjs

v12xjs

No shit?
Perhaps that's why I said:
'They are called springtails and they are not harmful.'
Can't you fucking read?
What is it with this place and fuckwits?

Schkronis

Schkronis

No shit?
Can't you fucking read?

Sorry, quoted the wrong post.
smoke a bowl and chill. If you don't like this place and fuckwits - gtfo man,
420 magazine will be a good place for ya....

xenon730

xenon730

No shit?
Can't you fucking read?

everyone's stupid but you're the one complaining about someone using a public forum how its supposed to be used. take a break and go smoke asshole.

Islandgrows

Islandgrows

i have had root aphids and a diluted bleach water drench got rid of them in some plants i had in flower . after the bleach water flushed with plain water

K

kk286x

what you said is exactly the same thing happened to me right now and you confirm what i thought.. good information it can be hard to figure out since also fungus gnats but good post

Top Bottom