root issues

• Thread starter bigmikeyg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bigmikeyg

bigmikeyg

hey guys and gals

have some clones that are week 2 in a rdwc..

have three buckets and i have an in-line pump that pumps into the top of the 5 gallon bucket

the res temps are at 19.8 c which is 67 f

i have an air stone in each bucket and one in the res

57 litre res ro water

week 1 i ran 50 ml cal mag 110 ml hygrozyme 45 ml connoisseur

ppm was at 430 and the ph was anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 through the week and i added ph down when needed to and about day 4 i added 5 gallons of water with half the strength as listed numbers above

week two im on day 2
running 50 ml cali magic
an connoisseur grow at 150ml
50 ml per hydrozyme
ppm was at 980 and 5.5
day 2 it’s at 6 and i’m about to add some ph down

thing is .. check the roots .. plants look healthy enough but the roots didn’t look like this last week ..

first timer for dwc .. am i tripping ? i didn’t think with the temps and the hygrozyme i would be seeing brown ass roots :(

any input would be cool ..

Root issues
Root issues 2
Root issues 3
Root issues 4
Root issues 5
Root issues 6
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm no DWC expert, @Aqua Man is your guy here. But brown roots are usually not a good thing, you're sure it's not staining from nutes? Though It does look like there is some brown slime on them..

Personally I'd drop the zyme and run it with H2O2 instead. I assume you're in Canada? Only reason I say that is we cant get hydroguard here, and I assume youd be using that instead if you could get it. If you can get it, run hydroguard.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm no DWC expert, @Aqua Man is your guy here. But brown roots are usually not a good thing, you're sure it's not staining from nutes? Though It does look like there is some brown slime on them..

Personally I'd drop the zyme and run it with H2O2 instead. I assume you're in Canada? Only reason I say that is we cant get hydroguard here, and I assume youd be using that instead if you could get it. If you can get it, run hydroguard.
You can order hydrogaurd off Amazon.com I got some and it's approved in Canada to bring across the border but funny enough not sold here. Not cheap in total though

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

hey guys and gals

have some clones that are week 2 in a rdwc..

have three buckets and i have an in-line pump that pumps into the top of the 5 gallon bucket

the res temps are at 19.8 c which is 67 f

i have an air stone in each bucket and one in the res

57 litre res ro water

week 1 i ran 50 ml cal mag 110 ml hygrozyme 45 ml connoisseur

ppm was at 430 and the ph was anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 through the week and i added ph down when needed to and about day 4 i added 5 gallons of water with half the strength as listed numbers above

week two im on day 2
running 50 ml cali magic
an connoisseur grow at 150ml
50 ml per hydrozyme
ppm was at 980 and 5.5
day 2 it’s at 6 and i’m about to add some ph down

thing is .. check the roots .. plants look healthy enough but the roots didn’t look like this last week ..

first timer for dwc .. am i tripping ? i didn’t think with the temps and the hygrozyme i would be seeing brown ass roots :(

any input would be cool ..
Looks like a little root rot but don't panic it's very early. Some is staining likely from the cal mag... It generally has iron in with it.

Give about 30 mins and I go through your grow and see what I can find and tell ya how to fix that pesky root rot.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cooking so I wanna sit down and go through it. First give it the smell test does it smell a bit musty or like dirt?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

OK here we go.

I hate these nutes because anything you add to them fucks them up and you give up all control. This is the AN PH perfect 2 part correct?

They are designed for use with RO water and adding calmag or PH up/down will mess them all up.

So I would do a res change and add nothing but nutes. Put the PH pen aside all you need is the PPM meter. This concept is so foreign to me and thats why i dont like them.

I have no experience with hydrozyme but as @Dirtbag mentioned hydrogaurd i do have experience with that and it works amazingly well not only for prevention of pythium but also will kill it dead even in infected tissue. The bacteria Bacillus amyloliquefaciens has been used for a long time in agriculture for this very purpose. If you can get your hands on some its about the best thing i can recommend.

Now to treat you will need to take tap water (not RO because tap water conatins chloramines and chlorine that will kill some of the pythium) PH'ed and temp adjusted. Then take the plants out and wash the roots gently removing all slime by lightly rubbing with your fingers or even a tooth brush. Then place back into the system and repeat this every 24 hrs. until the infection is gone.

If you can get hydrogaurd great if not keep using that hydrozyme or switch to a sterile system and use H2o2 but that need to be added every 2-3 days. this will also work as a good treatment for pythium in terms of an in the res solution but either way you need to remove and rinse those roots daily.

The good news you have nice low res temps so the population can be controlled until fixed.

bigmikeyg

bigmikeyg

ok dude your my knight i shining armour i think :)

so yes it’s ph perfect .. but it’s not staying perfect .. day one it is 5.5. next day 6.5

so i’m on a well with bad water and a salt system and uv light .. and ro :). so no chlorinated water :(

i just went out and got the following

OK here we go.

I hate these nutes because anything you add to them fucks them up and you give up all control. This is the AN PH perfect 2 part correct?

They are designed for use with RO water and adding calmag or PH up/down will mess them all up.

So I would do a res change and add nothing but nutes. Put the PH pen aside all you need is the PPM meter. This concept is so foreign to me and thats why i dont like them.

I have no experience with hydrozyme but as @Dirtbag mentioned hydrogaurd i do have experience with that and it works amazingly well not only for prevention of pythium but also will kill it dead even in infected tissue. The bacteria Bacillus amyloliquefaciens has been used for a long time in agriculture for this very purpose. If you can get your hands on some its about the best thing i can recommend.

Now to treat you will need to take tap water (not RO because tap water conatins chloramines and chlorine that will kill some of the pythium) PH'ed and temp adjusted. Then take the plants out and wash the roots gently removing all slime by lightly rubbing with your fingers or even a tooth brush. Then place back into the system and repeat this every 24 hrs. until the infection is gone.

If you can get hydrogaurd great if not keep using that hydrozyme or switch to a sterile system and use H2o2 but that need to be added every 2-3 days. this will also work as a good treatment for pythium in terms of an in the res solution but either way you need to remove and rinse those roots daily.

The good news you have nice low res temps so the population can be controlled until fixed.

FF248DCD 1C7F 44AD A9BE 1BC305B52421
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

ok dude your my knight i shining armour i think :)

so yes it’s ph perfect .. but it’s not staying perfect .. day one it is 5.5. next day 6.5

so i’m on a well with bad water and a salt system and uv light .. and ro :). so no chlorinated water :(

i just went out and got the following
ok so you are using RO right? what is the PPM of your water before adding anything? want to know how well your filters are working

Like i say they are designed for RO so adding cal mag, PH up down or having high ppm source water can all have a bad impact on them.

The PH changes based on the nutes used and ratio's I don't fully understand it but the PH will adjust itself and it will have larger swings. I could never use these nutes for that reason I would lay awake at night driving myself nuts. But when left to thier own devices they seem to work for ppl so don't even look at the PH pen unless you want to cause yourself undue stress lol.

I mean i hate saying that but its the truth.

bigmikeyg

bigmikeyg

i’m under 20 ppm after the ro does it’s thing

ok so you are using RO right? what is the PPM of your water before adding anything? want to know how well your filters are working

Like i say they are designed for RO so adding cal mag, PH up down or having high ppm source water can all have a bad impact on them.

The PH changes based on the nutes used and ratio's I don't fully understand it but the PH will adjust itself and it will have larger swings. I could never use these nutes for that reason I would lay awake at night driving myself nuts. But when left to thier own devices they seem to work for ppl so don't even look at the PH pen unless you want to cause yourself undue stress lol.

I mean i hate saying that but its the truth.

bigmikeyg

bigmikeyg

Cooking so I wanna sit down and go through it. First give it the smell test does it smell a bit musty or like dirt?
doesn’t smell must and clearly i can’t smell really good but a faint hint of earthy .. dirt

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i’m under 20 ppm after the ro does it’s thing
Ok your good on that. Grbbin a link for on on the peroxide. I run a live system so not experienced with it other than treating cynobacteria in aquariums.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

doesn’t smell must and clearly i can’t smell really good but a faint hint of earthy .. dirt
Ok thats an indication. Like i said its not a bad infection at all yet and most of it is staining. The darker spots are where its pythium

bigmikeyg

bigmikeyg

going to the states this weekend i’m going to order some to ups store and grab it on the way back hydroguard :)

was hoping with the cool temps this wasn’t gonna be an issue thanks aqua man for your already time and any other time you spend on this !!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom