Root pruning advise please

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

When I up-pot I have taken to cutting off the roots that have "spun out" (run along the plastic container)
Is this proper technique?
My logic is that longer roots are good if they tap an area not served by the root system. Roots that turn back on the plant are a waste of plant mater in the first place, and should be removed.
The "bonzi moms" thread specifically cuts back the root perimeter by inches, then re-pots into fresh soil.
What do you do?

T

TROCOLO

Hi

I did root pruning in my plants when they became root bound and I don have space to put them in bigger pots. I cut almost one half of the roots.

It works at least for me.

Greetings

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

I did it in hydro and only cut that which was needed and so far... so good.

G

ganjherbsmoke

yea i usually always do this and never have problems if theres enough roots established

you should check out oldtimers posts about keeping a mom for several years he even kept one up to 10 years!!
all by pruning and root pruning he just literally shaves off pieces of each side of the pot and replants it awesome stuff

F

fatganjagrower

smart pots or fabric pots swear by the air pruning methed and root circulation and im highly intrigued by it

kooter840

kooter840

I agree 100%, those smart pots r the best thing around. Ill never use plastic bags again!...........and as far as root pruning I always cut a couple inches off the bottom when I re-pot and never have a problem.

Top Bottom