Roots coming out of fabric Pot & timing questions

• Thread starter CannabinoidCarson33
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

Hello everyone. Im currently growing for the first time and am using fabric pots. My plants are doing pretty good and are healthy but today when I was watering I lifted a pot up and noticed that roots have already grown through the bottom of the pot and they are only about done with veg...
Is this common? Should I leave it alone or take some type of action? My goal is obviously have a successful harvest and im wondering if this has a chance of messing that up.
Also I had a question on the timing of switching to flower. I want a pretty decent harvest and have a 6ft tall tent so they should fit if I wait a bit longer until flipping, my only concern is that as you can see, I HAVE TOO MANY PLANTS AND TOO LITTLE SPACE. I
Genuinely thought they would show signs of sex by now and Id be able to pull the males but that hasn't happened yet and things are getting TIGHT. If I flip tonight, will my yield be worth it?
Any other suggestions are accepted, please go easy on me, like I said, Its my FIRST GROW.

Any help is appreciated. Thx guys

-Carson

GROWING...
9 gelato 33 × wedding cake from regular seed
&
@1 slurricane clone from purple city genetics (back right of tent in orange bucket)
Under two 240w Meijiu 3500k QB LED lights
Using GH flora series with cal-mag (as needed) and have 'flower fuel' to begin using when I flip to 12/12...

Roots coming out of fabric pot  timing questions 2
Roots coming out of fabric pot  timing questions

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
you should have those bags off the ground for a number of reason, one is to air prune the roots.
just get it up on something which will allow airflow underneath..
check this out

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
also they should be showing signs of sex by now?
take a coupe pics of the nodes/branches of the big one in the back..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
even still when you switch they’ll show signs quickly and than just pull out the males?
no biggie, it won’t pollinate anything that early..

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

also they should be showing signs of sex by now?
take a coupe pics of the nodes/branches of the big one in the back..
The big one in the back right is a clone and female, the others are all from seed and not feminized. Ill take a few pics no problem if you think you could help... Thx. Also, I got 6 saucers to hold my plants off the ground, i have 3 that aren't off the ground but im guessing 3 will be male and ill pull em then reallocate the saucers that lift em a bit...i appreciate the help!

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

you should have those bags off the ground for a number of reason, one is to air prune the roots.
just get it up on something which will allow airflow underneath..
check this out
Damn, thx a million. Will lifting it up off the ground prevent the roots from coming through? Im still wondering if its bad for the plants and why in a 7gal pot they are coming out of the bottom already. Obviously next time ill go with feminized, but this hobby began with me finding seeds in an ounce and wanting to try it out.. A few months later im like 800$ in and am HOOKED.
Anything else that looks like its not right or is it okay? I do know they are overcrowded. Males will be taken out and hopefully they will have enough room

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

20210320 164342 HDR
20210320 164259 HDR
20210320 164147

let me know if you see something that I dont, I appreciate your help!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i love your motivation!
the roots growing through is no biggie, i’d guess in your case that there’s was moisture there from watering, little to no airflow and dark as it’s underneath..,
keeping the bags on something allows airflow to pass underneath, that’s what you should try to do..,
ya those in the front are a bit small still, how old are they?
i’m sure your doing good if not you’ll ask,
lots of great help here at thc farmer!

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
1 and 3 female
As for saucers, that won't do for what they are saying. You need something that exposes the bottom of the bag pot to air. I'm using some cookie cooling racks, but anything that you can put under each side and leaves most of the bottom where air can get to it

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

Holy crap, all the females are visibly showing those two little hairs coming from exactly where they are supposed to! It turns out I have 4 males, All others have those little female hairs. Thanks so much for your help man! Now I can put up my net amd focus on the plants that matter!

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Real nice grow, i personally dont like fabric pots bc nursery pots tend to hold water longer, when i do use smart pots i still put a small layer of clay pebbles on botom of pot bc it helps with drainage, i have seen the roots cling to the clay but never saw them penetrate the bottom or sides of pots but i never say i saw it all, obviously the pots are to small for the strains your growing, you have a real nice grow it would be a shame if this affected it.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Real nice grow, i personally dont like fabric pots bc nursery pots tend to hold water longer, when i do use smart pots i still put a small layer of clay pebbles on botom of pot bc it helps with drainage, i have seen the roots cling to the clay but never saw them penetrate the bottom or sides of pots but i never say i saw it all, obviously the pots are to small for the strains your growing, you have a real nice grow it would be a shame if this affected it.
won’t affect at it all!

Top Bottom