Roots not growing downwards

• Thread starter Zbishoff404
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zbishoff404

I have 2 12-ft. Pvc pipe Outdoor Nft setups for 30 plants. Some of the plants already have alot of roots in the nurtrient film.l, and have matured. Others, have not had any roots grow out of the starter and down into the film. They have alot of roots, but none are going downward. Any advice is appreciated .

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
High humidity and over saturated medium won't promote them to stretch down for water. They are happy where they are at and aren't seeking water.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I grow in a Promix medium, but the previous post is correct... the plants won't always grow massive roots if they can get whatever they need without growing too much. I start in a wet bucket and as the bucket slowly dries out, the roots follow the dropping moisture level. It's a balancing act, as roots don't grow in dry soil,so a little moisyure is always needed, just not waterlogged.

Z

Zbishoff404

High humidity and over saturated medium won't promote them to stretch down for water. They are happy where they are at and aren't seeking water.
That makes sense, i live in florida and its very humid. We have also had rain almost everyday the past week.
So what are my options to chamge this? Because these are still tiny but the same age as my big ppants l, that have their roots in my film. Thanks for the info!

Z

Zbishoff404

I grow in a Promix medium, but the previous post is correct... the plants won't always grow massive roots if they can get whatever they need without growing too much. I start in a wet bucket and as the bucket slowly dries out, the roots follow the dropping moisture level. It's a balancing act, as roots don't grow in dry soil,so a little moisyure is always needed, just not waterlogged.
This makes alot of sense too. I will have to start me seedling out in buckets before transplanting into my outdoor NFT setup. Great info thanks

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
This makes alot of sense too. I will have to start me seedling out in buckets before transplanting into my outdoor NFT setup. Great info thanks
FWIW, I transplant directly into the 5 or 6 gallon bucket from the initial sprout. After planting, I water around the perimeter of the seedling a little to settle the dirt around the seedling and root, then maybe a little water the next day or two until the root starts growing, then the seed will use the next couple weeks filling the growing medium. After about two weeks, I start a regular watering regimen based on the size of the plant and the amount of moisture in the bucket. I use Promix as it is great for not holding too much water, making it hard to overwater your plants.

BigCube

BigCube

Most likely too much water. They need to have decent dry periods so the roots go searching for the moisture.

What plants aren't doing so well? Is it the last plants in the watering line? Sometimes the other plants and soak up all the nutrients before the last few plants get any. Adding another feeding line to the last half of the row might help.

Other than that they only thing I can suggest is that they aren't getting enough light or food.

Good luck! Let us know if you solve it!

Z

Zbishoff404

Most likely too much water. They need to have decent dry periods so the roots go searching for the moisture.

What plants aren't doing so well? Is it the last plants in the watering line? Sometimes the other plants and soak up all the nutrients before the last few plants get any. Adding another feeding line to the last half of the row might help.

Other than that they only thing I can suggest is that they aren't getting enough light or food.

Good luck! Let us know if you solve it!
Actually they are spread all thruout my line. Just some started growing downward roots right away. They rest just havnt searched for the film. But i will try to keep those covered when it rains so that it can dry out a little. Tha ks fir the advice. I will post about what method works for me!!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
That makes sense, i live in florida and its very humid. We have also had rain almost everyday the past week.
So what are my options to chamge this? Because these are still tiny but the same age as my big ppants l, that have their roots in my film. Thanks for the info!

easiest thing to do is put some kind of barrier over the top of the medium/pots. Something like panda or any type of plastic will work that way they are only getting the water you are giving them.

Also make sure you arent wicking moisture up into the medium.

Top Bottom