Roots not growing to the edge of the pots. Why?

• Thread starter Frosty.McDanknugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Frosty.McDanknugs

Hey all. Wondering why the roots of my harvested plants didn't grow all the way to the edge of my 7 gallon smart pots. Plants came out fine and were sturdy during flower period but usually after I harvest and dump my pots the roots have grown all the way to the sides of my pots. This time when I checked the roots only grew about 2/3rds of the way to the sides of the pot as you can see in the photo. This is highly unusual. I only watered the root ball and about an inch or two outside the rootball the first few feedings in flower to force the roots to stretch out and look for water. But i still didn't get root growth all the way to the sides of the pot. Any ideas why this can happen? Does this mean I had unhealthy plants the entire grow? Plants looked healthy all the way to harvest. Thanks!

Roots not growing to the edge of the pots  why
F

Frosty.McDanknugs

It means the edges were much dryer. Roots will not grow in to dry soil.
Hey thanks but I'm not sure what you mean. The photo is from after I harvested. During veg and flower, when I fed them every other day I watered the entire pot, edges and all. The only time I ONLY watered the root ball and one inch outside the rootball was the first two feedings in veg so the brand new roots could have something to reach out for. Why didn't my roots grow all the way to the sides of the pot throughout the entire grow even though I watered the entire pot every time I watered? Thanks again!

freezeland2

freezeland2

Hey thanks but I'm not sure what you mean. The photo is from after I harvested. During veg and flower, when I fed them every other day I watered the entire pot, edges and all. The only time I ONLY watered the root ball and one inch outside the rootball was the first two feedings in veg so the brand new roots could have something to reach out for. Why didn't my roots grow all the way to the sides of the pot throughout the entire grow even though I watered the entire pot every time I watered? Thanks again!
The sides might have got wet when you watered, but they were dryer than the rest of the pot. The quality of the fabric pot has a bit to do with it drying quicker on the edges. Personally I don’t care for smart pots. I use the ac infinity fabs, they seem to retain moisture more even throughout the pot.

Top Bottom