Roots Organic Soil and Dry amendments

• Thread starter NorthEastGrower91
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NorthEastGrower91

NorthEastGrower91

I've been using the Roots organic 707 soil and roots organic dry amendments (which I use as a top dress). They've been in 3gallon pots for just over a month. I fed them 1week nd a half ago(using 1 Tsp or Uprising Grow and 1 Tsp of Uprising Foundation). 1 week later and I didnt notice any difference in the plant condition. 3 days ago I felt maybe they needed more so I added 1 Tsp of Bat Guano Nitro. Still havent seen much of a result. My water PH has been ranging 6.5-6.8(which I know is kinda high in Veg) and have been keeping it tight at 6.4-6.5 for the past week. I feel like this always happens and i just dont want to over feed and kill the plants or cause a lock out...Are they hunger than I think and need a another Tsp of Nitro? I've always read hot the Guano Nitro was "hot" ,so I wanted to be careful with it.
Sorry if this has been discussed before and I'm new to the group. Would greatly appreciate some words of advice..TY

Roots organic soil and dry amendments
Roots organic soil and dry amendments 2
Roots organic soil and dry amendments 3

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Welcome to the Farm @NorthEastGrower91, you found the right place!

Not sure if I can be of help to you as we are doing a few things the same and a few things differently. I can really only speak of my experience and hope I can add to your learning too. We are both using organic soil and the Roots Organics products butthe differences, well they might make a difference. I am growing indoors and also using a different line of Roots Organics products. It took me a while to learn and figure out my own plan. I just knew I wanted to go organic and as simple as possible, I spent a lot of money on things I didn't really need or would be harmful to my organic grow. After some trial and error and lots of reading at this forum, I eventually settled on the Roots Organics Terp Tea system. I did not go all in at first for budget reasons and just got the grow and bloom formula. I have recently completed the 4 formula package and got the Bloom Booster and the Microbe Charge. I can say I am very happy with the Roots Organics products and my plants seem to love them.
I've been using the Roots organic 707 soil and roots organic dry amendments (which I use as a top dress). They've been in 3gallon pots for just over a month. I fed them 1week nd a half ago(using 1 Tsp or Uprising Grow and 1 Tsp of Uprising Foundation). 1 week later and I didnt notice any difference in the plant condition. 3 days ago I felt maybe they needed more so I added 1 Tsp of Bat Guano Nitro. Still havent seen much of a result. My water PH has been ranging 6.5-6.8(which I know is kinda high in Veg) and have been keeping it tight at 6.4-6.5 for the past week. I feel like this always happens and i just dont want to over feed and kill the plants or cause a lock out...Are they hunger than I think and need a another Tsp of Nitro? I've always read hot the Guano Nitro was "hot" ,so I wanted to be careful with it.
Sorry if this has been discussed before and I'm new to the group. Would greatly appreciate some words of advice..TY

When using a "hot" soil, you really don't need to supplement anything except maybe cal/mag if you are using distilled or RO water. However, the nutrients in the soil will not last forever, I would say the 3 weeks in the 3 gal pots have maxed out your available nutrients and you need to start supplementing with the Roots Organics products right away. It sounds like what supplements you have been giving is not enough. What does it say on the package directions? My Terp Tea says 1 tsp to 1 tbsp per gal of water mixed and fed that way or 1 tsp per gallon of potting soil as a top dress before watering. I talked to a guy at the company and he advised mixing the nutrients directly with the water and then immediately feeding at the rate of 2 tsp per gallon of water, once a week. My plants are in week 2 of flower and they are taking about a gal of water each when watered.

Also, I would not worry too much about PH and your water. Somehow the soil takes care of the PH for you and I have learned it's good to have a meter and check things but don't get too hung up on it. Our water PH is 8.0 or so and I have not had any ph related lockouts. The main problem I had with our water is the high ppm from our well, which sits at about 685 ppm. My plants were dying with this water until i switched to distilled water. I distill water in a distiller and the ppm is zero coming out but the PH is still the same. For some reason, I thought it would change but it did not.

Personally, I would be cautious of using anything straight like bat guano unless you know what you are doing. Get the whole lineup of products from Roots ORganics as they are developed to work in tandem with each other.

Hope this helps Bro.

If you want to learn more about things I have done and the bumps along the way, you can check out a thread in progress from my first grow-

NorthEastGrower91

NorthEastGrower91

Welcome to the Farm @NorthEastGrower91, you found the right place!

Not sure if I can be of help to you as we are doing a few things the same and a few things differently. I can really only speak of my experience and hope I can add to your learning too. We are both using organic soil and the Roots Organics products butthe differences, well they might make a difference. I am growing indoors and also using a different line of Roots Organics products. It took me a while to learn and figure out my own plan. I just knew I wanted to go organic and as simple as possible, I spent a lot of money on things I didn't really need or would be harmful to my organic grow. After some trial and error and lots of reading at this forum, I eventually settled on the Roots Organics Terp Tea system. I did not go all in at first for budget reasons and just got the grow and bloom formula. I have recently completed the 4 formula package and got the Bloom Booster and the Microbe Charge. I can say I am very happy with the Roots Organics products and my plants seem to love them.

When using a "hot" soil, you really don't need to supplement anything except maybe cal/mag if you are using distilled or RO water. However, the nutrients in the soil will not last forever, I would say the 3 weeks in the 3 gal pots have maxed out your available nutrients and you need to start supplementing with the Roots Organics products right away. It sounds like what supplements you have been giving is not enough. What does it say on the package directions? My Terp Tea says 1 tsp to 1 tbsp per gal of water mixed and fed that way or 1 tsp per gallon of potting soil as a top dress before watering. I talked to a guy at the company and he advised mixing the nutrients directly with the water and then immediately feeding at the rate of 2 tsp per gallon of water, once a week. My plants are in week 2 of flower and they are taking about a gal of water each when watered.

Also, I would not worry too much about PH and your water. Somehow the soil takes care of the PH for you and I have learned it's good to have a meter and check things but don't get too hung up on it. Our water PH is 8.0 or so and I have not had any ph related lockouts. The main problem I had with our water is the high ppm from our well, which sits at about 685 ppm. My plants were dying with this water until i switched to distilled water. I distill water in a distiller and the ppm is zero coming out but the PH is still the same. For some reason, I thought it would change but it did not.

Personally, I would be cautious of using anything straight like bat guano unless you know what you are doing. Get the whole lineup of products from Roots ORganics as they are developed to work in tandem with each other.

Hope this helps Bro.

If you want to learn more about things I have done and the bumps along the way, you can check out a thread in progress from my first grow-

(Just refrazing)
So 1 1/2 week ago I added 1 Tsp of (Uprising Grow 6-1-2) and 1 Tsp of (Uprising Foundation 2-1-1) for my 3 gal pot of soil. The application rate for both is -Apply 1-2 Tsp per (small container 1-10 gallons)...Note that is the directions on the bags itself.

4 days ago I added 1Tsp of (Nitro Bat Guano 9-3-1) which is applied as Light feeding: 1-2Tsp per gallon of soil
Heavy Feeding: 1Tbsn per gallon of soil
also on the back of the bag.

Now on the Roots organic feeding schedule for soil users says 2Tsp of each for a 5gallon pot(I'm using a 3gal, so I'm also not tryna burn and kill them. That's why I felt 1 Tsp of the first two nutes was a decent introductory rate for a 3gallon pot. Then a week later I added 1Tsp of the Nitro and was just worried I'm gonna mess them up because I always hear it run hot. I'm to paranoid to overload the soil with nutes.So its just confusing with the directions on the bags to the feeding schedule they put out for soil users. My plants besides looking really yellow have no symptoms of dying or leaves falling off.So the little bit I'm giving them is clearly keeping them going but extremely slowly and they seem to need more. .and I'm sorry if sounds really confusing,I dont wanna have everyone's brain in a not like mine right now.
I'm using rain water I've collected into barrels. One thing I do is filter twice through a 25micron filter then PH the water. I've read on posts that it's not good to PH rain water? Ive talked with Aurora Innovations(maker of roots organics) and my local hydro store owner and they both said for this product, PH water then water into top scratch. Then the soil helps by buffering the PH balance of the soil. Lastly I havent used the Roots organics Tea brews yet and my hydro store owner asks the same thing about the tea brews every time I go in, so I'll have to definitely check those out, but for now I need to get this confusing issue taken care of. And ty for the reply!😎

20210625 105031
20210625 105026
20210625 104800
Last edited:
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Ive talked with Aurora Innovations(maker of ) and my local hydro store owner and they both said for this product, PH water then water into top scratch.
One of the differences in our grows is I am using the Terp Tea line which might have a different optimal feeding. I would go with what they say for feeding amount. One advantage of mixing the nutrients with water and then feeding that way as a tea is that you give the microbes a head start so the nutrients are more readily available to the plants than just a top dressing. Another advantage, imo, is that if you do over do it a bit, you can give a little extra water next time you water (no nutrients) and flush that bit out. I had this problem but keep a good eye on the plants and they will tell you what is wrong. I think your caution is great, but don't let it stop you from pushing that a bit to find out what YOUR plants need vs what you are giving them.

One question I had is how are you PHing the water? Are you just testing it for PH? or are you adding anything to alter the PH? I learned this the hard way but you don't want to use General Hydroponics PH Up and PH Down because they will harm your soil microbes.

I suggest making a tea from worm castings, some of your nutrients (whatever they recommend), and a tbsp of molasses. If you don't have a bubbler or aerator, just mix it together in a bucket and stir a few times over 24 hours, then water to run off. This will jump start your soil microbes. Roots Organics also has a microbe boost that I am going to start using next week in my grow that might be something for you to consider.
roots organics

NorthEastGrower91

NorthEastGrower91

One of the differences in our grows is I am using the Terp Tea line which might have a different optimal feeding. I would go with what they say for feeding amount. One advantage of mixing the nutrients with water and then feeding that way as a tea is that you give the microbes a head start so the nutrients are more readily available to the plants than just a top dressing. Another advantage, imo, is that if you do over do it a bit, you can give a little extra water next time you water (no nutrients) and flush that bit out. I had this problem but keep a good eye on the plants and they will tell you what is wrong. I think your caution is great, but don't let it stop you from pushing that a bit to find out what YOUR plants need vs what you are giving them.

One question I had is how are you PHing the water? Are you just testing it for PH? or are you adding anything to alter the PH? I learned this the hard way but you don't want to use General Hydroponics PH Up and PH Down because they will harm your soil microbes.

I suggest making a tea from worm castings, some of your nutrients (whatever they recommend), and a tbsp of molasses. If you don't have a bubbler or aerator, just mix it together in a bucket and stir a few times over 24 hours, then water to run off. This will jump start your soil microbes. Roots Organics also has a microbe boost that I am going to start using next week in my grow that might be something for you to consider.
Great info, ty!
And I do use PH down for my water, not sure what brand it is. I do about 4 to 6 droplets of PH down per 5gallon bucket of water out of a 1ml plastic syringe. The whole tea brew feedings I've been considering over time,but I can usually see results from feeding within 2days of a top scratch. Weither it gives a little result, over done, or nothing much at all. So kinda tryna skip the tea brew of it for feeding wise.
Ugh. I must not be feeding them enough😭. I'm probably just gonna hit it with more Nitro soon. Again ty for the info!

HarryHood

HarryHood

Great info, ty!
And I do use PH down for my water, not sure what brand it is. I do about 4 to 6 droplets of PH down per 5gallon bucket of water out of a 1ml plastic syringe. The whole tea brew feedings I've been considering over time,but I can usually see results from feeding within 2days of a top scratch. Weither it gives a little result, over done, or nothing much at all. So kinda tryna skip the tea brew of it for feeding wise.
Ugh. I must not be feeding them enough😭. I'm probably just gonna hit it with more Nitro soon. Again ty for the info!
i've got basically their entire lineup (drunk purchases mostly) and can tell you that i prefer the terp teas to the top dressing. far easier to deal with and the plants get the nutes immediately. but that's just my 2 cents.
my last grow i did a bit of both- top dressed in the beginning, but quickly moved to terp teas. i did all autos with 3 different strains. now on my first grow i went exclusively terp tea and produced some really quality bud. while both grows were successful and abundant i think my first turned out a bit better. again, just my .02. happy growing!!

NorthEastGrower91

NorthEastGrower91

i've got basically their entire lineup (drunk purchases mostly) and can tell you that i prefer the terp teas to the top dressing. far easier to deal with and the plants get the nutes immediately. but that's just my 2 cents.
my last grow i did a bit of both- top dressed in the beginning, but quickly moved to terp teas. i did all autos with 3 different strains. now on my first grow i went exclusively terp tea and produced some really quality bud. while both grows were successful and abundant i think my first turned out a bit better. again, just my .02. happy growing!!
Thank you my friend! Happy growing as well😎🏡🌲

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

Thank you my friend! Happy growing as well😎🏡🌲
You should check out "superthrive" it's cheap as in cost effective, and great 4 ur plants at literally 1drip/drop per gallon of water.
I've always ran a feeding schedule & coordinated that to a calendar, wich also helps you telegraph your harvest time-ish.
Usually start at half the recommended strength, & especially now growing is legal alot of places you want stuff that's formulated for marijuana specifically.
Lotus dry nutes look kinda good too, but idk.
I also use additives & won't grow without certain ones. Snow storm ultra primarily
That's dif conversation tho
Good luck

C

CocoFun

Heyyyy!!! You're a drunken amazon shopper too?! I just bought a 50 gallon jug of pH perfect Grow. It was only 30 bucks, I don't even know what it is!

Latest posts

Top Bottom