Rosin,how Much Pressure Is Necessary? 20 Ton Vs. 30 Ton

• Thread starter Nick61244
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Metal screens, pressed into a bag shape. Works well, but scratches the platens and I would rather stuff and toss, than stuff and clean/reuse.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Metal bags..... not a big fan of pressing metal and bishing up a 400.00 set of billet plates.

I press flower all the time, parchment only. No need for a bag.

brd

brd

Metal bags..... not a big fan of pressing metal and bishing up a 400.00 set of billet plates.

I press flower all the time, parchment only. No need for a bag.

Do you prepress in a cold press? What about plant material without some kind of filter? I've read that some believe the flavor is better when pressing flower or trim.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

For flower, I just place the bud in parchment paper.

I prepress with my hand on a table and squish it that way, then into the press.

Yes, more flavor with flower. Never ran trim. Bubble hash, flower, kief.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

I'm looking into geta Baileigh industrial 30 ton air hydraulic H-frame press and using Rosinworks 2.5 Ă—5 universal spring return kit and upgrading to a rosinator plate . I'm curious if a 30 ton press is worth it or if I should just go the cheap route and get a 20 ton press. I'm looking to spend between 1500 to 3k. Any advice on cheaper springed cage set Ups?

http://www.baileigh.com/shop-press-...4idScZeSekE7q4l-dRV1_UEexBqhije1lwhoC1yLw_wcB

http://the-rosinator.com/products/the-rosinator-press?variant=20492787396
For the amounts you're talking about, a higher-quality press like Bailegh or Dake is a better choice than the cheap ones from discount stores, well worth the extra $. Personally I wouldn't go below 30 ton for flowers on that plate size, and be sure to get a good gauge (for progressive/partial force methods). Pre-press for sure if you want best results.

Been theu 150 baggies, 5lbs trim (150g kief) and over 3oz of rosin under my belt.

Harbor freight 20t press for 2t0

3x5 plates from low temp plates
3 ounces, holy shit! How much is your consulting fee? Maybe we should fire someone to trade for that kind of massive expertise.

Last edited:
Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Yesterday, I worked for 4 hours, and pressed a little over 3 ounces of flower. Very high quality work, proud of my machine.

What temps you guys running material at?

Flowers 210-230

Kief 180

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
What does that create @DemonTrich? Shatter I assume? To me that seems like high heat mixed with very high pressure, you use a 20+ ton right?

I tend to get a more buttery material for flowers at 210, snap and pull at 220, and shatter at 230. Strain dependent of course.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Yesterday, I worked for 4 hours, and pressed a little over 3 ounces of flower. Very high quality work, proud of my machine.

What temps you guys running material at?

Flowers 210-230

Kief 180
I have heard 240 is best if you want the Rosin stable like shatter.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Just remember, less heat more flavor. More heat less flavor.

I've never went over 225. There really is no need to with a press with tonnage ability.

M

magicmonkey

If I am getting darker material, using low heat, like 180-200, is it just because of my starting material? Its older bubble and old keif. I was hoping to use this process to turn older, not so great stuff, into better, yumminess. Its interesting how varied peoples times and temps are. From 150-320F and anywhere from 8seconds to 60! A bit confusing, I am excited to figure it all out ;)

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
If I am getting darker material, using low heat, like 180-200, is it just because of my starting material? Its older bubble and old keif. I was hoping to use this process to turn older, not so great stuff, into better, yumminess. Its interesting how varied peoples times and temps are. From 150-320F and anywhere from 8seconds to 60! A bit confusing, I am excited to figure it all out ;)

Most people pressing at 150 are pressing for several minutes. If you press at 220, you only need to press for 3o seconds. What people don't understand is if you put a temp gun on your material as it comes out, the temps are usually the same. At 220 and only 30 seconds the material doesn't get enough time to reach 220, its more like 150. And the several minute press at 150 the material gets fully heated at 150. So there should be a three way graph, X axis is heat, Y axis is time, z axis is material temps. So in my mind, I am just trying to reach that 150 for the shortest amount of time. So 220 and a quick squish has been working just as well as a 180 45 second squish or a 150 2 minute press. Get it? Not sure if that made sense.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
So in other words, it doesn't matter what temp your machine is at. What matters is the temperature the material reaches. This is effected by temp and time.

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

Just bought a lil smasher 12 ton alloy plates lifetime guarantee out of cali , works good . Flooded my last paper lol dripping off sides cost $ 790 inc freight . Figures i got just over a gram off the last eighth but that varies from strain to bubble ect . Peace . Very sturdy very heavy for a smaller machine .

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

Anyone have problems with too much tonnage? Seems like if I smashed buds/kief/whatever between two flat plates I would just have a piece of paper made from my material. How much psi is ideal?

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Anyone have problems with too much tonnage? Seems like if I smashed buds/kief/whatever between two flat plates I would just have a piece of paper made from my material. How much psi is ideal?

Everybody says more is better. However I upgraded my 12 ton to a 20 ton with zero added benefit. Depends on the size of your plates. I can smash 40 grams of flower per squish with my plates. 12 tons is more than enough.

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

That's what I was thinking. If there was a way to contain the material while being squished it might be have more benefit. I remember you saying before your bags were blowing out on ya. Almost need a tube with a precision plunger and screen on one end you could heat the whole thing then extrude your oil... Hmm. Sorry just high and brain storming

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Bags all the way. My bags were blowing because there are some companies out there with crap bags. I now have a constant hook on quality bags, and getting zero blow outs. I get mine from extracted co, not sure if he sells to the public. If you don't use bags, don't expect to get into any dispensaries. No particles for patients.

Latest posts

Top Bottom