Rosin Pressing with the new Best Value Vac 30Ton Press

• Thread starter AnselAdams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I tried to place an order for a Dulytek DW6000 two nights ago and had trouble with the site i was dealing with (not Dulyteks'). While trying to deal with their round-about financing (something about third party verification, blah, blah....) anyway; while dealing with it, i ran into someone who thought i got a crappy deal and was being screwed. So he put me in touch with a family member that is trying to move the newly released reworked Best Value Vac's revised 30 Ton press. I was able to purchase the new machine at a significant discount if i would write and submit a review for the product. DONE!

p.s. yes the receipt from the vendor is legit (lol ... someone is going to ask... 😃)

Yes, 30T is over-kill but from an engineering perspective, I am pretty well assured sturdy construction to at least 20T even though i never really expect to get close to that. I am more concerned about the stress' place on the construction materials over time. I do find the fact that it has 6x8 in plates really enticing, i really want to get into the design. (does it have multiple heating elements,.... ); I have lots of questions and will still have 90 days to return it.

I am new to this pressing shit. I was commanded by TOWMBO (the one who must be obeyed) to find another way to produce our product of Sustance without blowing up the friggin house. We like the output of our closed loop system, but the risk for output value really was not rockin' our world. So i have chalked the 2g's spent on the CLP system to just be part of the learning curve. After doing a LOT of reading and being encouraged to try pressing. Also in the spirit that it was MUCH, MUCH safer. The kicker was the increase in high quality product out; vs product in!

It has been ordered and was put on the truck today. Stay tuned and please send me your questions. Who knows it could be a bomb or a damn good product. We'll see.

SOLD!

Rosin pressing with the new best value vac 30ton press

Last edited:
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

It's not overkill imo..those plates are massive!
Hope you have a good air compressor to drive that beauty!

I looked at that one as well, but it was too heavy for me..I wanted one for inside and another set of plates for the garage press..
Enjoy!

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
It's not overkill imo..those plates are massive!
Hope you have a good air compressor to drive that beauty!

I looked at that one as well, but it was too heavy for me..I wanted one for inside and another set of plates for the garage press..
Enjoy!

I have ordered 2x9 and 3x9in "tea bags" along with a 3x6 pre-press and a 2x6 pre-press to go along with. All is due to arrive Wednesday. I have also made arrangements to have a fresh QP on hand. I should be able to press two zips per press without throwing things out of balance/wack pressure wise.

2x6 tea bag
75 micron 3x9 tea bags

Last edited:
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I have ordered 2x9 and 3x9in "tea bags" along with a 3x6 pre-press and a 2x6 pre-press to go along with. All is due to arrive Wednesday. I have also made arrangements to have a fresh QP on hand. I should be able to press two zips per press without throwing things out of balance/wack pressure wise.

View attachment 866259View attachment 866260
I currently have 3 presses..3x5 2.75x6, and 3x6 plates in the Garage (all Dulytek (From Dulytek) except the 3x5's (Dabpress).

I was gonna press 1/2 to an oz on the 3x6's but I actually get much better product from 7-10 gram presses (NO BAGS). Yield is not an issue here, but quality is. I found yields reduced, with greater amounts, but also I got more plant matter with the larger amounts (again..no bags..I hate them except for hash/keif pressing.) I do have bags here and there the Press Club brand as well.

My 3x6's are on a 10 ton benchtop press and the 2.5x6's are the DHP7 7 ton bottle jack. The 3x5's are on the Dabpress driptek model and TBH..I have really not used any pressures above 4 tons. (the garage press and the Dabpress both have gauges.) Having more PSI available just makes the press work alot less getting up to where you want it...not to mention those huge plates need pressure in spades!

I will be curious how you like that hydraulic/air pump (orange thing). I was thinking of hoojing one up to my 10 ton w/ hollow ram. Getting old..LOL

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Like This?
Specs? Tank size? HP? PSI max? (usually those pumps run at about 125 psi).

I have a Rigid 2 tank in the garage, but oil-less compressors are noisy AF. It also trips my breakers since it wants the 15 amp circuit for itself..Usually have to hook it up to the dedicated dryer circuit for good operation.

Snap1
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Specs? Tank size? HP? PSI max? (usually those pumps run at about 125 psi).

I have a Rigid 2 tank in the garage, but oil-less compressors are noisy AF. It also trips my breakers since it wants the 15 amp circuit for itself..Usually have to hook it up to the dedicated dryer circuit for good operation.

Gotcha! I can see me having to do the same thing re: the washer/dryer circuit. I have each cabinet & chiller are on its on circuit along with some misc. environmental monitoring equipment inside/outside the cabinet.

the one pictured is:
  • 3.0 SCFM delivered at 90 PSI pump, 2.5 gallon tank and 200 max PSI
  • Durable oil free pump provides extended maintenance-free operation
  • Low 71.5 dB allows for quieter operation;High-flow regulator for increased performance
  • Low 12 amp draw motor provides easy start-up and reduces breaker tripping
  • Lightweight (36 lbs), thin (12.5") and compact design is easy to carry and store
BVV says as long as it will do a 125 psi max i should be good to go. This will do 200, so hopefully 125 is within its standard range and won't add too much strain to the duty-cycle of the unit. Again, we'll see.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Gotcha! I can see me having to do the same thing re: the washer/dryer circuit. I have each cabinet & chiller are on its on circuit along with some misc. environmental monitoring equipment inside/outside the cabinet.

the one pictured is:
  • 3.0 SCFM delivered at 90 PSI pump, 2.5 gallon tank and 200 max PSI
  • Durable oil free pump provides extended maintenance-free operation
  • Low 71.5 dB allows for quieter operation;High-flow regulator for increased performance
  • Low 12 amp draw motor provides easy start-up and reduces breaker tripping
  • Lightweight (36 lbs), thin (12.5") and compact design is easy to carry and store
BVV says as long as it will do a 125 psi max i should be good to go. This will do 200, so hopefully 125 is within its standard range and won't add too much strain to the duty-cycle of the unit. Again, we'll see.
If there was a problem, you could always add a separate air holding tank between the compressor and the press..If you haven't heard those oil-less units..I recommend shooter's ear plugs! (I use shooter's headsets). I have a bunch of other stuff on my garage circuit, but usually nothing else would be running..It always started slowly and tripped that breaker. I own a few super heavy Duty extension cords that I use to get to the dryer outlet..That makes the thing hummmm along nicely. Also, it seems that most Hydraulics are prone to leaking! I had a Bottlejack that was toast in a few months. I am not sure if your is the newer or older model, since Best Vacks also had one with a 30 ton Bottlejack. I still can't believe that Sasquatch gets the $$ the do, since your press looks at least as good. (the cute name ain't worth a single squish imo..LOL)

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
If there was a problem, you could always add a separate air holding tank between the compressor and the press..If you haven't heard those oil-less units..I recommend shooter's ear plugs! (I use shooter's headsets). I have a bunch of other stuff on my garage circuit, but usually nothing else would be running..It always started slowly and tripped that breaker. I own a few super heavy Duty extension cords that I use to get to the dryer outlet..That makes the thing hummmm along nicely. Also, it seems that most Hydraulics are prone to leaking! I had a Bottlejack that was toast in a few months. I am not sure if your is the newer or older model, since Best Vacks also had one with a 30 ton Bottlejack. I still can't believe that Sasquatch gets the $$ the do, since your press looks at least as good. (the cute name ain't worth a single squish imo..LOL)

Yea, I looked at the new Dulytek that is in the same price range; it comes out at the end of the month. But then i went on and looked at the Sasquatch line.... OUCH Agreed, they are very proud of their gear. If i were doing retail with another persons $$$ maybe. This was one of those situations where i don't see where i could lose if the machine performs even reasonably well enough to keep past 90 days.

Thanks for your help. I think this is going to be fun..... certainly a learning experience :badboy:

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Yea, I looked at the new Dulytek that is in the same price range; it comes out at the end of the month. But then i went on and looked at the Sasquatch line.... OUCH Agreed, they are very proud of their gear. If i were doing retail with another persons $$$ maybe. This was one of those situations where i don't see where i could lose if the machine performs even reasonably well enough to keep past 90 days.

Thanks for your help. I think this is going to be fun..... certainly a learning experience :badboy:
If I can assist with anything..just yell!
My formula for flower that is jarred 2 weeks.
220d F
2 minutes or less (when the spurting stops, I release)\2 presses even though there is still rosin in the puck
runny rosin I freeze before collecting..
My yields avg about 20-25% depending on the strain I grew.

ENJOY!
This was GG#4 x SVG....
GG4 x SVG

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

If I were doing retail..It would be the Pure Pressure rigs..Those guys are on top of the game as are their products..No BS cute names..but very high tech!

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
If I can assist with anything..just yell!
My formula for flower that is jarred 2 weeks.
220d F
2 minutes or less (when the spurting stops, I release)\2 presses even though there is still rosin in the puck
runny rosin I freeze before collecting..
My yields avg about 20-25% depending on the strain I grew.

Thank You, only thing i don't see is a suggested psi.

I know you shouldn't just shoot straight to that "recommended pressure" but "bump" your way up to it over about half of the total press time. Sound about right?

Thanks in advance.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Thank You, only thing i don't see is a suggested psi.

I know you shouldn't just shoot straight to that "recommended pressure" but "bump" your way up to it over about half of the total press time. Sound about right?

Thanks in advance.

I found this at the site run by the folks at Pure Pressure . . . https://gopurepressure.com/blogs/rosin-education/the-physics-behind-rosin-heat-pressure I have copied only the important stuff narrowly related to my topic. I have supplied the url if you wish to read up on the science and theories. I also wanted to give them credit for their original publication. This is their business site so there is some rah-rah; but also good science. Take what you need, and appreciate the rest.

. . . "Based on extensive pressing and anecdotal conversations with hundreds of our customers, we feel that we've honed in on some these pressure guidelines that will help most users achieve excellent results with their rosin press. It is currently our belief that the optimal pressure range for pressing rosin is between 300 and 1000 psi, at the bag. Flower will be on the upper end at 600-1000 psi and kief or hash will be on the lower end between 300 and 800 psi. The plate size does NOT factor into these numbers. If you have a 20 ton press and press a 2x9 bag you will get 2500 psi at the bag. With a 2x3 bag you will get 7500 psi at the bag." . . .

. . . "On a pneumatic press pressure is generated by compressed air which enters the machine and is distributed over the area of a piston. Pressure = Force / Area so Force = Pressure x Area. The cylinder on the Pikes Peak Press is 82.3 in^2. With 120 psi of air entering the machine we calculate 82.3 in^2 x 120 psi = 9,876 LBF. Since 2,000 LBFs equals 1 ton we can see that the Pikes Peak pneumatic press generates approximately 5 tons of force. This is the force at the plates. However, what we really care about is the force at the bag.

We will now calculate the pressure at the bag using the equation Pressure = Force / Area, where area is the size of the bag. For example, the area of a 2” x 9” bag is 1.8” x 9” = 16.2 in^2. (1.8” is the true measurement inside the seam). If we plug that number in we get 10,000 / 16.2 = 617 psi at the bag. Now let’s run this calculation for our 2” x 3” bags. 1.8” x 3” = 5.4 in^2. 10,000 / 5.4 = 1,851 psi at the bag. As you can see the smaller the bag, the more pressure you will get. Think of a nail. A nail tip exerts a large amount of pressure on whatever it is traveling into because it has a tiny area. If you hit a hammer with the same force but drive the head of the nail into the wood rather than the tip it will barely dent the surface. This is because it has a larger surface area. When creating recipes for a specific batch of material, you will want to know the pressure at the bag that produces the highest quality and yield. You will be able to scale your recipe up or down in size with replicable results by maintaining a constant bag pressure. For example if we create a recipe that works well in a 2” x 3” bag and we want to scale up to a 2” x 9” bag we will increase the air pressure entering the machine, compensating for the larger bag area and maintaining a constant bag pressure." . . .

================================

This will give me a place to start. 2x3 bags seem like a small enough.

I will try as little as 7g. but i don't think that will scale well to 28g in a 2x6 bag. I will most likely end up with 14g. test sacs.

based on the calculations shown above; to get <1000 at the bag... 2x3 @ 5000psi= 925psi @bag OR for a 2x6@10000psi=925psi@bag.

My "amnesia hazed" engineer brain, is telling me that the variable that should change with the amount of material pre-molded; is time.
I'm sure my testing will show me the error of my ways.

The crate will be delivered first thing in the morning (I missed the delivery today by 10 min.) :cry:

Last edited:
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I found this at the site run by the folks at Pure Pressure . . . https://gopurepressure.com/blogs/rosin-education/the-physics-behind-rosin-heat-pressure I have copied only the important stuff narrowly related to my topic. I have supplied the url if you wish to read up on the science and theories. I also wanted to give them credit for their original publication. This is their business site so there is some rah-rah; but also good science. Take what you need, and appreciate the rest.

. . . "Based on extensive pressing and anecdotal conversations with hundreds of our customers, we feel that we've honed in on some these pressure guidelines that will help most users achieve excellent results with their rosin press. It is currently our belief that the optimal pressure range for pressing rosin is between 300 and 1000 psi, at the bag. Flower will be on the upper end at 600-1000 psi and kief or hash will be on the lower end between 300 and 800 psi. The plate size does NOT factor into these numbers. If you have a 20 ton press and press a 2x9 bag you will get 2500 psi at the bag. With a 2x3 bag you will get 7500 psi at the bag." . . .

. . . "On a pneumatic press pressure is generated by compressed air which enters the machine and is distributed over the area of a piston. Pressure = Force / Area so Force = Pressure x Area. The cylinder on the Pikes Peak Press is 82.3 in^2. With 120 psi of air entering the machine we calculate 82.3 in^2 x 120 psi = 9,876 LBF. Since 2,000 LBFs equals 1 ton we can see that the Pikes Peak pneumatic press generates approximately 5 tons of force. This is the force at the plates. However, what we really care about is the force at the bag.

We will now calculate the pressure at the bag using the equation Pressure = Force / Area, where area is the size of the bag. For example, the area of a 2” x 9” bag is 1.8” x 9” = 16.2 in^2. (1.8” is the true measurement inside the seam). If we plug that number in we get 10,000 / 16.2 = 617 psi at the bag. Now let’s run this calculation for our 2” x 3” bags. 1.8” x 3” = 5.4 in^2. 10,000 / 5.4 = 1,851 psi at the bag. As you can see the smaller the bag, the more pressure you will get. Think of a nail. A nail tip exerts a large amount of pressure on whatever it is traveling into because it has a tiny area. If you hit a hammer with the same force but drive the head of the nail into the wood rather than the tip it will barely dent the surface. This is because it has a larger surface area. When creating recipes for a specific batch of material, you will want to know the pressure at the bag that produces the highest quality and yield. You will be able to scale your recipe up or down in size with replicable results by maintaining a constant bag pressure. For example if we create a recipe that works well in a 2” x 3” bag and we want to scale up to a 2” x 9” bag we will increase the air pressure entering the machine, compensating for the larger bag area and maintaining a constant bag pressure." . . .

================================

This will give me a place to start. 2x3 bags seem like a small enough.

I will try as little as 7g. but i don't think that will scale well to 28g in a 2x6 bag. I will most likely end up with 14g. test sacs.

based on the calculations shown above; to get <1000 at the bag... 2x3 @ 5000psi= 925psi @bag OR for a 2x6@10000psi=925psi@bag.

My "amnesia hazed" engineer brain, is telling me that the variable that should change with the amount of material pre-molded; is time.
I'm sure my testing will show me the error of my ways.

The crate will be delivered first thing in the morning (I missed the delivery today by 10 min.) :cry:
YES!
To condense: (I use this and slightly change up according to flower material. Hash is way less heat and temps)

Pre warm the puck with the plates just touching the material.
GRADUALLY increase pressure to 500lbs....then gradually increase pressure to 2000lbs as the flow starts. (watch for blowouts)
Increase pressure to 3000-4500lbs until flow stops and then release. (usually 120 seconds here and then press a second time)

2 of my presses have gauges and I can see the pressure dropping as the pucks condense..then it's easy to pump up back to the desired pressure again. You will "feel" the press and become adept with only a few presses under your belt! I am waiting for your report on that orange foot pump, to see if I will add one to my own benchtop hollow ram 10 ton setup. I have become decent with feeling the material on my Dulytek DHP7 without a gauge, but I get way better control with the visual cues that the gauges provide.

I added a gauge to the Dabpress model just after the picture and my Dulytek DHP7 is not pictured.
Press station
IMG 1427

PURE PRESSURE is tops!

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
. . .

IT'S HERE!!! :cool: I've got it unboxed (like a kid at Christmas i missed the "in box" photo). I will have to put it back in the box to get the missed shot.

At least it is only once. This thing is truly a beast; weighing every bit of the advertised 180 lbs. To be totally fair and accurate, the press weighs about 160, the foot control easily 20lbs (i will get it all weighed and report back). It came with anti-tip stabilizing legs that i have to figure out how to attach. There isn't much in the way of instructions. Kind of like buying a hammer at HD.

20190419 070407
20190419 070554
20190419 070727
20190419 070918
20190419 071246
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

IT'S HERE!!! :cool: I've got it unboxed (like a kid at Christmas i missed the "in box" photo). I will have to put it back in the box to get the missed shot.

At least it is only once. This thing is truly a beast; weighing every bit of the advertised 180 lbs. It came with anti-tip stabilizing legs that i have to figure out how to attach. There isn't much in the way of instructions. Kind of like buying a hammer at HD.
SWEET!
I want dibs on the 1st press....oh..NVM..make that DABS! LOL

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
SWEET!
I want dibs on the 1st press....oh..NVM..make that DABS! LOL

I would say cruise on over; but somehow i think your area code is colder than mine right now, so driving might be an issue... lol

If got her configured and powered up. I ran a test with the compressor to make sure it would work out and did not have any issues. The plates seem to be running a little hot but i have been told that is a good thing because they usually lose heat during break-in.

Had to make it mobile. The other half wasn't having the noise. lol. Now we'll prep some weed by making a 14g 2x6 and cutting it in half (i don't have a 2x3 press), and bagging both for individual test runs.

20190419 093657
20190419 0937251
20190419 093725
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Massive!
I would be concerned about that shelf..that's alot of weight, not to mention the action when it smashes..Enjoy! and a vid would be super of the movement..Hint..LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom