Rotted/Damped off Clone Failure

• Thread starter Kohuhu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kohuhu

Kohuhu

Hi all.

So I took a lot of cuttings for clones. Prepared them, rooting hormone, etc.

Approx two days later was speaking to a guy who showed me how he "scarfed" them with a razor blade to get a better rooting response.

I went home and decided because the cuttings were still fresh it wouldn't hurt for me to pull them out of the jiffy and scarf them as I was shown, re-dip them in hormone and place them back in the jiffy.

They all "damped" off and rotted/went slimey.

Obviously I shouldn't have done what I did but I don't understand what happened.

Can someone explain?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
well you probably shouldn’t of pulled them out firstly,. and scrapping means very very lightly scrap here and there around where the rooting powder/gel will be applied..
you probably were too rough..

growsince79

growsince79

Hi all.

So I took a lot of cuttings for clones. Prepared them, rooting hormone, etc.

Approx two days later was speaking to a guy who showed me how he "scarfed" them with a razor blade to get a better rooting response.

I went home and decided because the cuttings were still fresh it wouldn't hurt for me to pull them out of the jiffy and scarf them as I was shown, re-dip them in hormone and place them back in the jiffy.

They all "damped" off and rotted/went slimey.

Obviously I shouldn't have done what I did but I don't understand what happened.

Can someone explain?
They were too wet. Next time, soak the jiffy pot in warm tap water and squeeze out the excess like you would a sponge.

Top Bottom