Ruderalis strains

• Thread starter Hickey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hickey

I am confused about Ruderalis strains. They are an auto flower indica/cross strains. Low level THC high CBD.
Where can I find some ruder seed, high CBD, low THC?
First, can you find typical un-feminized strains?
Second, can they be cloned successfully?
Third....If Fem strains are only avail, can you force to flower as a male with stress, ? LIGHT cycles?
I would love to experiment with CBD levels for oils. and need some more info.

Also... all the talk about land-race Ruderalis and tossing seed everywhere so enforcement cannot keep up, I personally do not think this is a good idea for a few reasons.
First open air cross pollination, I would be pissed if random pollen effected my crop.
Second, with all the BS and concerns with GMO's....
Lets say the Gov't has another conspiracy against growers. Patent RUDI strains, by GMO , they can cross breed leaving all our private strains sterile. The GMO issues are huge, people can lose their farms, I am talking about legitimate food producing farms. Look it up, its a scary scenario.
If some strain was developed and successfully released by the gov't we could be in serious trouble as far a medical strains are concerned. All developments lost and left only to the big drug companies who hold patents and the only viable seeds...........Very SCARY prospect...........................
I feel that all cannabis studies should remain private, not in the hands of ANY gov't control.
The Gov't has not helped us develop our current strains or research in MMJ THC/CBD ...
There are no tax breaks, buyouts, credits, grants, ETC for the current MMJ suppliers and research, why change now?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't really answer your questions because the only auto strain I've ever run wasn't supposed to be an auto, it just happened. Budded out at 2"-3" tall, then just died. Never smoked the bud. Don't know that anyone's working with Ruderalis spp to create a high CBD strain, either.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Don't know that anyone's working with Ruderalis spp to create a high CBD strain, either.

Me neither.. might be something to look into though

I dont think you can clone a Ruder.. ..so Making your own female Ruder seeds would be the way to go.

Camdawg

Camdawg

@Hickey cannabis ruderalis is land race eastern European hemp. It has extremely low thc and I believe low cbd as well. C. Ruderalis does have an interesting side to it as its flower cycle is not photo sensitive. It has been used in breeding programs to create auto flowering strains. These strains can not easier be cloned, I've heard its possible but still have my doubts, tend to have lower thc and yields are often measured in joints due to smalll yield. The The original idea behind the low Ryder amd other auto flowers was purely for hobbyists and window growers.

monkeymun

monkeymun

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with autos. Waste of time and money for small yield you have little influence over.

As for the whole GMO patent topic. That could happen to any cannabis species, nor just ruderalis. So the risk is always there and not likely to happen any time soon. Don't stress is my advice.

homebrew420

homebrew420

I will take the other end of the auto coin. I have not grown any though I really am interested. I have seen nice autos from a few different breeders, black creek, secret gardens (mitch connor). Not for cash cropping, obviously.
I will completely disagree with you fears. The govt doesn't care nor have they the funding to do the gmo thing. Not to mention they should have been planting ferral hemp in Norcal for the past 35 years if this was any notion toe the feds. Not going to happen. Not now anyway.

Just my 2cents

iCultivate

iCultivate

I will take the other end of the auto coin. I have not grown any though I really am interested. I have seen nice autos from a few different breeders, black creek, secret gardens (mitch connor). Not for cash cropping, obviously.
I will completely disagree with you fears. The govt doesn't care nor have they the funding to do the gmo thing. Not to mention they should have been planting ferral hemp in Norcal for the past 35 years if this was any notion toe the feds. Not going to happen. Not now anyway.

Just my 2cents

I reckon you're spot on on both topics mate.

I wouldn't grow autos personally, but I'm sure they have they're place.

-- iCultivate --

zeke

zeke

Not all Ruderalis crosses are autos. Around 2003 or so while living in pdx I did a trade with a dude from Madison Wisconsin. I can't remember what I gave him pineapple probably and or the cough but he gave me a cut called Russian Ruderalis aka the Rudy or the rude dude. Anyway I couldn't get it to grow inside for shit. My friend said everyone in Wisconsin grew it in and out and some only grew it.

I grew it out side and it was amazing. 8" plants put outside in southern Oregon on the 21st of July transplanted from red solo cups. I went back once and gave them bat and seabird guano tea. Then I went back the first week of October and harvested three foot tall plants that were solid colas as big around as my arm. Best and easiest outdoor crop ever for me. Potent as fuck as well. A couch of seasoned cultivators finished half a not so fat joint and put it out. Lost the cut of course before I harvested.

I think that if this cut did have Ruderalis genes in it then it was a cross selected for rapid floral development not autoflowering. I cloned it several times. So it couldn't have been an auto.

S

Seraphim19

There is a lot of bad information here. Autoflowering plants are most definitely not a small hobbyist plant anymore.
And they are definitely not for kids!!

Granted back when lowryder was released autoflowering plants were small and you could yield as little as 3-4 grams at the end of your grow. Now however they can outperform a lot of photoperiod plants. a good example of this is a grow I watched by a Guy called Tang he test grew a strain called auto extreme by dutch passion and 10 weeks from seed he had produced 1000grams of high quality bud. If that is not commercially viable I don't know what is!

In that timescale I have yet to see a photo period strain able to produce like this.

In response to the claim that Auto flowering plants have low strength and quality I will issue this challenge:
If you try one of my strains and don't change your tune regarding autos I will stop breeding and never grow cannabis again.
If you change your mind then your forfeit will be to spread the word auto flowering plants have changed from the micro plants they used to be.

Lets see if we get any takers!

To be fair there are pro's and con's to auto's and photo's
PHOTO PRO'S
I can only see two real advantages of photo period plants which are

photos can be cloned and are much easier to breed as the original mother and father plants can be kept alive in clone form, autos cant be cloned effectively as they are governed by a pre-determined lifecycle so any cutting will mature at the same rate as the plant it was taken from regardless of lighting hours.

With photos the ability to control their veg and flowering cycles provides advantages that suit growing beginners (kids lol)
the ability to extend the veg cycle and get over any problems you may have had before you start flowering is very useful for beginners. For the more experienced grower the ability to extend veg time helps to increase potential yields.

PHOTO CON'S
There are two main drawbacks to photo period plants is that they can be very time consuming, a good example of this is if you grow a photo period plant it can take between 60 and 100 days for the flowering phase alone.

The second drawback is the need for a separate veg room or the need to grow in batches so you can flip the daylight hours without messing up any plants.

AUTO PRO'S
With autos there are a few pro's the first being the speed factor. As I previously mentioned it can take between 60 and 100 days for a photo to complete just the flowering phase. I have an auto strain that goes from seed to harvest in 50 days so you can see they are MUCH quicker. The average yield for my 50 day strain is 2-4 oz dry weight

The second pro is the ability to have a perpetual grow in one room. Most of the productive autos take 10 weeks from seed to harvest so the way I advise people to grow if they want a perpetual harvest is to start with a space big enough to fit 10 plant in it and put down one a week and grow them on 16 or 20hrs light a day after 10 weeks they will be at the stage of germinating one plant a week and harvesting one plant a week.

Perpetual growing brings about the next pro, which is variety. I personally like to put down a different strain every week so I can enjoy different tastes and effects on a regular basis rather that end up with a lot of the same strain which I find becomes boring after a while.

The last pro for autos is the possibility of multiple outdoor harvests in one season, and in a stealthy manner. Having such a short lifecycle you can get multiple harvests in with plants that are hard to spot. in addition they will be ready before they stand out against the surrounding foliage and become blatantly visible to aircraft.

AUTO CONS
The first con of auto's is obvious, the inability to clone. this means that you need to have seed for every plant you want to grow. I thought this was a big drawback to start with but once I learnt to make feminised seed it wasn't a problem as I can get at least 500 fem seeds from a couple of seeds. and the other consideration is that the little bit of money you part with for your seeds is nothing compared to your end result.

the second con is - unless you know what you are doing it is very easy to ruin your plant. having a pre-determined lifecycle means that if you have problems with your plant you don't have the option to keep it in veg and correct it so problems like ph imbalances are much more harmful to a auto grow than they are a photo grow - so if you have problems in your photo grows don't try autos until you have solved your issues first.

S

Sassyfemme

Hi, I'm growing a couple of Lowryders from seed in an outdoor garden, so far, all is going super fine though I am a little perplexed since all the information I've read about Lowryder says they get to be about 18-20 inches in height and mine are respectively 32" and 54".
Here are images of them. I'm just wondering if this is actually usual for this strain that they got to be taller than advertised?

Lowrider
Lowrider 2
Lowrider trichomes
Stardusted

Stardusted

Don't worry...be happy..the plant is using us...and has been..for a very long time... We're Helping it evolve..?

Latest posts

Top Bottom