Running Undercurrent In Series Instead Of Parallel?

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

So I had to read through the thread and I will add my 2buds worth,
few years back a great farmer was building the ultimate tree UC system IMHO it was Epic.
with water cooled HPS stainless tanks and a pump system that rivaled some small city water programs. lol
he had two problems Condensation on the tanks causing massive HR issues and Water transferring tank to tank once the root mass exceeded 50% by volume. he used 6000 GPH . . ect well hell here is a few images of the thread.
Uc 4a

UC 5a

Pipe size and pump size were the limiting factors on the system
UC 7a

Uc 3a

The man could grow some trees
Peace Farmers
FlyJ

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So I had to read through the thread and I will add my 2buds worth,
few years back a great farmer was building the ultimate tree UC system IMHO it was Epic.
with water cooled HPS stainless tanks and a pump system that rivaled some small city water programs. lol
he had two problems Condensation on the tanks causing massive HR issues and Water transferring tank to tank once the root mass exceeded 50% by volume. he used 6000 GPH . . ect well hell here is a few images of the thread.
View attachment 815028
View attachment 815029
Pipe size and pump size were the limiting factors on the system
View attachment 815030
View attachment 815031
The man could grow some trees
Peace Farmers
FlyJ
Yeah stainless tanks with cold water would definitely cause condensation issues. Insulating them might have helped. I also thought about using very porous filter foam on the output of each bucket to prevent roots clogging it but that would need checked often and not sure if it would possibly just add more problems

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

I am sure you have all seen the pinned thread on this grower He, Texas Kid, Cap JAWs Thunder Squiggles and the squealer just to name a few added to my tiny amount of knowledge, It is you all who experiment and add to the Research that make the farm what she is. . . .
The place that makes Growing an Art.
Keep at it growers
FlyJ

H

heisen

Yeah stainless tanks with cold water would definitely cause condensation issues. Insulating them might have helped. I also thought about using very porous filter foam on the output of each bucket to prevent roots clogging it but that would need checked often and not sure if it would possibly just add more problems
Roots wont clog if you cut off the long runners a couple weeks into veg.plants stop making roots after they begin to flower.i lift my pots and cut off the excess,no clogs at all.
Higher humidty will cause the buckets to sweat.anything over 60 percent they will sweat like crazy.i insulate all my buckets with r13 and it solves the issues of sweat.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Roots wont clog if you cut off the long runners a couple weeks into veg.plants stop making roots after they begin to flower.i lift my pots and cut off the excess,no clogs at all.
Higher humidty will cause the buckets to sweat.anything over 60 percent they will sweat like crazy.i insulate all my buckets with r13 and it solves the issues of sweat.
Thanks for the info, I will definitely do that.

H

heisen

I cut my plants off at a ceartian size.could prob veg them to the moon if I wanted.i got.my setup articulated around 3 week veg times and even canopys for scrogs.just seems like I pull more weight with the total KW hour used per weight.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I cut my plants off at a ceartian size.could prob veg them to the moon if I wanted.i got.my setup articulated around 3 week veg times and even canopys for scrogs.just seems like I pull more weight with the total KW hour used per weight.

Ordered my seeds today (white Widow, think a good beginner plant?) Hoping for 3-4 week veg once I get clones. Still have some more parts on the way and almost finished planning this out. Doing a 4x4 DIY build(framing and using duralock insulation board, scrog, HLG600 V2 3000k, UC DIY, Mega Crop nutes, pressurized Co2, humidifier, dehumidifier, peltier cooling system, and heater. Everything on controlers. Now the hard part.... waiting until Oct to be legal to grow.

All in all a lot of things to go wrong for my first grow but I am definately up for the challenge and have spent countless (thats an understatement) hrs. researching. I also have a fair bit of experience growing aquatic plants which has helped a lot.

H

heisen

Biggest thing about rdwc is confidence in your outcomes,staying a step ahead of any thing that create a problem.knowing what to look for in the plants and water to tell you how things are swinging.
I have a love hate relationship with dwc.in concept it is easy but in reality it takes a long time to hone and benefit from it.you will make a ton of mistakes but there good to learn feom.to many growers give up on rdwc to soon,when alot of there problems are easy fixes

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Biggest thing about rdwc is confidence in your outcomes,staying a step ahead of any thing that create a problem.knowing what to look for in the plants and water to tell you how things are swinging.
I have a love hate relationship with dwc.in concept it is easy but in reality it takes a long time to hone and benefit from it.you will make a ton of mistakes but there good to learn feom.to many growers give up on rdwc to soon,when alot of there problems are easy fixes
One question I do have is about BB. I know you use hydrogaurd and temps about 68F I will easily be able to maintain 68F. I have held off ordering it because once its opened it has a 6 month shelf life. Not ideal for my 4 plant setup. How crucial is it? I have been doing some studying on the BB strains and i know I can make my own tea's etc but whats your though on partial water changes and a medium thats suitable to maintain BB so once it is inoculated you can just maintain the colony?

H

heisen

I never change my water unless I have to,when you see the ppm rising and your adding in less ppm from the top off,it has to be changed.to much build up of shit that the plants can no longer absorb.i usually have to change it once during the whole grow.
As far as hydroguard I wont go without it.you dont want a high circulating pump cause you need areas in your system for it to colonize.
A top off res with an aquarium pump.is the perfect place for this.i add hydroguard to the top off res and low circulate it.sugars feed the good bacteria and it grows there,than it feeds to the main system with a float valve.
I could make tea and all that shit but I really dont have the time for all that.easier to just order HG and it works dead nutz.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I never change my water unless I have to,when you see the ppm rising and your adding in less ppm from the top off,it has to be changed.to much build up of shit that the plants can no longer absorb.i usually have to change it once during the whole grow.
As far as hydroguard I wont go without it.you dont want a high circulating pump cause you need areas in your system for it to colonize.
A top off res with an aquarium pump.is the perfect place for this.i add hydroguard to the top off res and low circulate it.sugars feed the good bacteria and it grows there,than it feeds to the main system with a float valve.
I could make tea and all that shit but I really dont have the time for all that.easier to just order HG and it works dead nutz.
Sounds like a plan. I have been trying to find a way around it using nitrifying bacteria that aslo feed off sugars and ammonium/ammonia but still behind the 8 ball on definitive answers. If i can't confirm it then I will go with hydrogaurd. Root rot is not something I want to react to when I can just avoid it. I will have enough other shit to contend with. Thanks again

Top Bottom