Running UVC filter in water tank?

• Thread starter eFeNGee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
eFeNGee

eFeNGee

Hello, fellow growers.
I've recently bought an automated watering system and today I noticed an algae buildup in my water tank, even though the tank is placed in dark room, the whole system is light-tight and the stirring pump is running 24/7. It's brown, smelling funny and looks just messy. Probably diatoms from what I've learned.
I was wondering - can I run an UVC filter in my tank to kill all the algae and keep it from growing back? Won't it kill the beneficial bateria? Or does it even matter since all the good bacteria is living in the soil anyway? Or should I use H202 instead?
I'd appreciate all your answers and opinions since i wasn't able to find any clear answers. Some say it's completely fine, some say otherwise.
Thank you ✌

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Stirring pumps do more harm than good imho. Especially if run constantly.

I use UVC to filter my resivoir as well as H2O2. My process uses 2 resivoirs, first is a "dirty" 50 gallon holding tank. I mix that up to my desired ec and ph and then pump it through a 5 micron, then a 1 micron canister filter, then through the UV chamber, and then into my second "clean" resivoir which holds 20 gallons. From there I add 3ml/gal 29% H2O2 which is sufficient to keep it clean and provide dissolved O2. No need to stir it or aerate it. Keep it in the dark under a lid to prevent airborne contaminants landing in it.

I wouldn't recirculate constantly through UV as it can degrade some nutrients in the solution I believe.

eFeNGee

eFeNGee

Love you 3000 @Dirtbag ! Thats exactly the answer I've been looking for. Thanks a lot mate.

Top Bottom