Russet Mites Please Help! 😭

• Thread starter YourStepDad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

YourStepDad

Hello fellow growers! I’d like to introduce myself as I am new to the website but I do bring a lot of knowledge and experience to the table for those who need. My main reasoning for joining is to help others and gain some experience with my current conditions I’m battling. So here in Southern California we are combating a lot of russet mites infestations. I’ve had a lot of success battling spider mites and powdery mildew but the russet mites are a new thing for me and tend to be a little bit more aggressive than any other problem I’ve had unfortunately. I currently only have a very small amount of plants in my garden as I have just started back up but with that being said the genetics that I have I prefer her not to lose if possible. So my question is how can I effectively get rid of russet mites completely? I know a lot of us don’t like to use eagle 20 but if I have to I will in veg only. Of course I would prefer her not to,as why I am here . I ordered some beneficial nematodes that came in today and I am contemplating using eagle for a one time spray but I hate the stuff and I’d prefer to not use it unless I have pm only . I’ve been using neem and a habanero concoction and it seems to be helping but I need to ensure that they will be eradicated before I move at the end of the month . Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

B

Branden22

Hello fellow growers! I’d like to introduce myself as I am new to the website but I do bring a lot of knowledge and experience to the table for those who need. My main reasoning for joining is to help others and gain some experience with my current conditions I’m battling. So here in Southern California we are combating a lot of russet mites infestations. I’ve had a lot of success battling spider mites and powdery mildew but the russet mites are a new thing for me and tend to be a little bit more aggressive than any other problem I’ve had unfortunately. I currently only have a very small amount of plants in my garden as I have just started back up but with that being said the genetics that I have I prefer her not to lose if possible. So my question is how can I effectively get rid of russet mites completely? I know a lot of us don’t like to use eagle 20 but if I have to I will in veg only. Of course I would prefer her not to,as why I am here . I ordered some beneficial nematodes that came in today and I am contemplating using eagle for a one time spray but I hate the stuff and I’d prefer to not use it unless I have pm only . I’ve been using neem and a habanero concoction and it seems to be helping but I need to ensure that they will be eradicated before I move at the end of the month . Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Use some some floramite. You’d have to drive to Oregon to get it.

sammy2

sammy2

Safer insect soap will kill the eggs and the mites, plus you can use it in flower. I use to use avid and forbid, but I found
that I would usually have to spray the plant more than once to get a total kill. Use safers in 3 treatments 3 days apart
and it will do the job,plus it helps prevent powdery mildew. With avid and forbid, if you miss any part of the plant, you'll
have to spray again, being that they are't systemic. Hope this helps you out.

B

Branden22

Safer insect soap will kill the eggs and the mites, plus you can use it in flower. I use to use avid and forbid, but I found
that I would usually have to spray the plant more than once to get a total kill. Use safers in 3 treatments 3 days apart
and it will do the job,plus it helps prevent powdery mildew. With avid and forbid, if you miss any part of the plant, you'll
have to spray again, being that they are't systemic. Hope this helps you out.
Forbid is systemic it should kill up to 45 days

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Eagle 20 is a fungicide, not an acaricide. Honestly I feel like you should probably not even have Eagle 20 if you were going to use it to try and kill mites... Anyway... avid and forbid are also pretty gross. Just saying. I am not one who is hesitant to use pesticides, but I am hesitant to use those. I'd sooner try using rosemary oil and pyrethrins, or safers end-all, Scott's bug-b-gone etc.. A combo of hort oil and pyrethrin. Also azamax or neem as a soil drench if in Veg could help in combination with the oil sprays.

Last edited:
sammy2

sammy2

Forbid is systemic it should kill up to 45 days

I've read that forbid was translaminar, meaning it will penetrate thru the leaf and not systemic. I had to do multiple
spraying to eliminate the mites when I used it, but it worked. I have also read other growers saying it was systemic too. Translaminar
requires not missing any spot on a plant or the mites come back in flower. I read where one grower was using Safers with success
and gave it a shot, the rest is history. Safers works just as good and is much safer in veg or flower. Each works and gives the grower
more options on the war against russet, broad and spider mites,

B

Branden22

I've read that forbid was translaminar, meaning it will penetrate thru the leaf and not systemic. I had to do multiple
spraying to eliminate the mites when I used it, but it worked. I have also read other growers saying it was systemic too. Translaminar
requires not missing any spot on a plant or the mites come back in flower. I read where one grower was using Safers with success
and gave it a shot, the rest is history. Safers works just as good and is much safer in veg or flower. Each works and gives the grower
more options on the war against russet, broad and spider mites,

Nice to know thanks for the info I have only used it once and it worked great during veg and switched to plant therapy when harvest.

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
Get with the technology and leave the poison alone.u really want to smoke that shit with miticide on it? Wait a few years until you need an inhaler for COPD.im almost 50 and I'm just starting to see the long term affects on my friends who have that sprayed that shit for years.

Theres a great thread on residuals here.if u absolutely feel overwhelmed then bomb with pyrithrins to get the #s down and use a potassium silicate(SIL MATRIX) PhD to 6 and predators.The silicate is water soluble,but it crystallizes on the leaves and cuts the shit out of them.it can them be washed away before harvest.predators last about 2 weeks depending on species.

There is many natural enemies to spider mites that live in all sorts of different conditions.Your bug purveyor can tell you which best suits u best for your enviornment.

Y

YourStepDad

Get with the technology and leave the poison alone.u really want to smoke that shit with miticide on it? Wait a few years until you need an inhaler for COPD.im almost 50 and I'm just starting to see the long term affects on my friends who have that sprayed that shit for years.

Theres a great thread on residuals here.if u absolutely feel overwhelmed then bomb with pyrithrins to get the #s down and use a potassium silicate(SIL MATRIX) PhD to 6 and predators.The silicate is water soluble,but it crystallizes on the leaves and cuts the shit out of them.it can them be washed away before harvest.predators last about 2 weeks depending on species.

There is many natural enemies to spider mites that live in all sorts of different conditions.Your bug purveyor can tell you which best suits u best for your enviornment.
It wasn’t spider mites . Those bugs imo are able to be eradicated as long as you are vigilant . The Russet Mites took my garden and swallowed it whole . I tried every spray that was recommended. Unfortunately. I lost the battle . Now I have moved into a new house with new seeds but let me just say ,russet mites are my new nightmare as a grower . I have never lost a battle until the russets . Now I have no genetics other than some seeds that I got online . Honestly one of the saddest moments cutting down over 8 years of acquired genetics . Im at a total loss and this will hit the bank for the next 6 months . Detrimental is an understatement. 😭😭😭

sammy2

sammy2

It wasn’t spider mites . Those bugs imo are able to be eradicated as long as you are vigilant . The Russet Mites took my garden and swallowed it whole . I tried every spray that was recommended. Unfortunately. I lost the battle . Now I have moved into a new house with new seeds but let me just say ,russet mites are my new nightmare as a grower . I have never lost a battle until the russets . Now I have no genetics other than some seeds that I got online . Honestly one of the saddest moments cutting down over 8 years of acquired genetics . Im at a total loss and this will hit the bank for the next 6 months . Detrimental is an understatement. 😭😭😭

Did you try Safers insect soap? I've use it
on broad and russet mites with success.
The trouble with these mites is usually they mask other problems like ph and over feeding the girls. Its important to spray the whole plant, top and bottom of
the leaves for success. Seeds are the way to go because clones are where l got them. Good luck on your new plants.

Y

YourStepDad

Did you try Safers insect soap? I've use it
on broad and russet mites with success.
The trouble with these mites is usually they mask other problems like ph and over feeding the girls. Its important to spray the whole plant, top and bottom of
the leaves for success. Seeds are the way to go because clones are where l got them. Good luck on your new plants.
Did not try the soap. Tried more aggressive chemicals as a experiment and had little success . They must have had some sort of tolerance and they weren’t found until the later stages . I think this is the main reason why I lost the battle but then again idkanything about those bugs . I won’t take clones again from an outsider . Learned my lesson .

Top Bottom