Russet Mites vs. Hemp Russet Mites

• Thread starter BartDman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BartDman

BartDman

I have been doing a lot of research lately on pests and prevention. I am trying to look at the differences between the mites and there is a lot of ambiguity about russet and hemp russet mites. From what I gather, they are different bugs, but many people, including Ed Rosenthal, go back and forth between saying Russet Mites and Hemp Russet mites as if they are interchangeable.

Russet mites are- Aceria anthocoptes and go after Canadian thistle mostly, but can attack Cannabis.

Hemp Russet mites are- Aculops cannibicola, are related to Aculops lycopersici (Tomato Russet mites) and only attack cannabis (hemp and weed).

The issue is that many people say they can be treated the same, but my research tells me the hemp russet mites are not nearly as easily controlled by neem, other oils/soaps, or even the predators- Amblyseius cucumeris, A. fallacis, and A. swirskii, Amblyseius andersoni, Californicus (Neoseiulus californicus).

Does anyone have any definitive clinical information regarding this or know why the species are used interchangeably when they are not?

R

rckymtnflowers

I saw your posts about these nefarious jerks. I bought clones online in April and no one has been able to figure out what my problem is (my wife says she still can't after all of these years). I signed up for this site a couple days ago and found your posts insightful. Can you update me with your more recent experiences please?

I have a 200x magnifier coming in the mail Wednesday but I had the rust colored powder build up on the stems and the canoeing so I am near certain that I have the russets from what I have read on university extension sites. Thanks in advance! I have been growing 27 years and never heard of them and seems like they are the absolute hardest pest to get rid. I am just trying to get the ladies healthy enough to take clones so I do not lose the strains and then once rooted I will toss the moms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom