Rust Fungus/mold.

• Thread starter RPGNY
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RPGNY

Hey guys, first time indoor grower for medical needs. First plant got the worst case of rust fungus ever. ALL the sugar leaves curled under, got heavy rust on them and dryed up in week 4 flower. It spread all over. Removed the plant (3' x 3' tent) sanitized EVERYTHING. Put two 12" plants in and within a few days started seeing rust on one. Tried the sulfer spray and that seems to be slowing it to almost nothing. I bought a sulfur burner but have no directions how to use it safely in a small tent. How much, how long? Any help would be appreciated. Im not going to burn sulfur unless I absolutely have to. Thanks. Not use to all of the crap that comes with growing inside. LOL

R

RPGNY

I went to download the pictures and couldn't find them anywhere. I'm well aware of the calmag and other nutes problems and this was definitely rust fungus. Wish I could show you the pictures. Any input you have on the sulfur burner in small space would be helfull or anything else you can think of. I want to buy some good seeds and really get a good harvest but can't until I beat this rust. Thanks again.

P

PharmHand

Hey guys, first time indoor grower for medical needs. First plant got the worst case of rust fungus ever. ALL the sugar leaves curled under, got heavy rust on them and dryed up in week 4 flower. It spread all over. Removed the plant (3' x 3' tent) sanitized EVERYTHING. Put two 12" plants in and within a few days started seeing rust on one. Tried the sulfer spray and that seems to be slowing it to almost nothing. I bought a sulfur burner but have no directions how to use it safely in a small tent. How much, how long? Any help would be appreciated. Im not going to burn sulfur unless I absolutely have to. Thanks. Not use to all of the crap that comes with growing inside. LOL
If the spots aren’t 3 dimensional it’s likely a nutrient, ph, and/or temperature issue and not fungal at all. Rust fungus has a structure- google image search it. Spray damage or accidentally splashing nutes on leaves can cause rust spots too!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Does it look like this? It should look like 3D, raised bumps.. if so , sulphor is the best bet. Sanitation of the grow room is important.
Humidity should be low.
Soil should be partially removed and plants repotted.
I would not burn sulphor a indoor tent. It will mess your house up. Spray micronized sulphor in solution and let time work that post cleaning the crap out of your room with sodium bicarbonate. This stuff effectively kills spores. It can be sprayed as well but it will raise side soil ph. If used a lot but I wouldn’t throw too much at once , give a week between any spray and remove any affected leaves and monitor. But I believe your room is what needs the cleaning , top to bottom multiple times and control that humidity.

8AF52E3F B5E4 43A2 B5DC 95E3C3832CC8
Last edited:
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Sulfur should never be applied within 4-6 weeks of using an oil spray. It will have a phytotoxic reaction with the oil, and result in plant death.
Now sulfur is used to slow down a fungus / fungal issue but it doesn’t persay kill them , stops them from spreading. If u indeed have rust mold, copper sulphate maybe the choice but I’d warn against using that on any flowering plants, it’s toxic if smoked! But safe in the veg stage provided it’s light.

Another alternative:
Potassium bicarbonate is safer for the environment, and less harsh on plants than some of the other fungicides like copper and sulfur, so it is a good choice for sensitive plants. It works by killing the mature fungus as well as the spores, so future infections are less likely. With prolonged use, potassium bicarbonate can raise the pH of soil, so testing the pH regularly is recommended.

Neem is useless with rust mold.

R

RPGNY

Thanks for all your help. I have a fee things to try now. The first sulfur spray I used seems to be working but I didn't want to take a chance and lose another grow to this rust. So I have the burner for a last resort. I know I can't be the only one and theres not a lot about it except for people saying it calmag def. Thanks again.

R

RPGNY

Sanitized EVERYTHING. RH is at 50 temp 78. Fresh air intake, lights at proper distance. Ph water seem to be doing much better after the sulfur spray. Have Neem but didn't use it because theres no bugs. One or two leaves looked like the picture jack og sent but I adjusted with calmag. That is not what I am calling rust fungus, covers all the leaves started from the top budd and just dryed them up, all the sugar leaves looked like a big brown dead spider then it spread to the rest of the plant. If it starts again I'll get some pictures of it for more input. Thanks again.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

This whole "Rust Fungus" hasn't been fully proven on cannabis which is why you find info on it but not about cannabis

R

RPGNY

Ok thanks. I didn't expect to get much information but people have provided me with options. I'm grateful. Thanks again.

S

Simplicio

You should heed pharmhand's advice.
Assume the simplest problem first, and try to fix that before trying to fix questionable, exotic problems.
That looks like nute burn to me, and it can start off as small orange specks.
If you're in hydro, then using more than half strength nutes can cause that.

R

RPGNY

Thanks. I'm in FF soil and started with simple and worked my way up from there. By that time it was too late and the rust (and it looks just like rust) had taken the plant. Wish I could show you the pictures. Anyone seeing them would say the same thing, thats rust fungus. I can deal with nutes, test Everything and use very little. I use the nutes to Ballance things out and keep them healthy. If you could have seen what the fungus did to that beautiful plant you would want to try anything to avoid another episode. Thanks again for the input.

Top Bottom