Rusty spot on otherwise healthy happy plants

• Thread starter The Canadian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

The Canadian

Hey every a little new to both this site and posting on forums, however I figured it would be good to get involved in the community to both learn and share so we can all excel.

Today I need to learn, I have a problem with my plants that I do not wish to see get any worse. I am into flower nearing the end of week 3 and I noticed some rusty spots on some of my leaves. As well I had some leaves on just 1 plant Canoe and curl a bit on top but the rest of that plant stayed healthy.

Conditions and Info:

Day temp: 80-82F @ cannopy 79-80f ambient
Night temp:68-70F
Medium: Soil ( Pro mix HP ), 10gallon pots
Feed schedule : I alternate food then clean water, ppms have gone from about 1000ppm to 1200ppm in weeks 1 and 2, 1400 in week 3, and 1600 in week 4,
PH 6-6.3
C02: 1000ppm week 1 and 2, 1200 in week 3, 1500 week 4, fresh air through out the night C02 400-475ppm with 3 air exchanges during the day to freshen the room up
Lighting: 6x600w MH Week 1-2, 6 x 600w HPS week 3 - 6 about a foot and a half away from canopy
Nutirents and Feeding: I am using the Future Harvests ( Holland Secret ) soil feeding schedule found here

https://futureharvest.com/pages/downloads
substituting their B supplement with Advanced nutes B as well as the bud candy and carbo load, I also added rhino skin and grozyme

If you need anymore info to help me out let me know.

Rusty spot on otherwise healthy happy plants
Rusty spot on otherwise healthy happy plants 2
Rusty spot on otherwise healthy happy plants 3
Rusty spot on otherwise healthy happy plants 4
Rusty spot on otherwise healthy happy plants 5
T

The Canadian

I am pretty sure I am dealing with a deficiency of some sort or lock out? I was pretty sure I had everything dialed in and my feeding is pretty strong.

I hit them yesterday with the first 1600ppm feed I added a little extra Cal/Mag this time as I believe that is what they are missing. But like I said if anyone has any tips they can give me id really appreciate it.

Licensed Medical Grow

Bubba

Mytery strain ( Label got wiped off 😂 )

Big Bud x ( we think it was with blue cookies or the blueberry kush )

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That is a really high feed rate, what scale on your ppm meter are you using? On a 500 scale I never feed much over 800-850ppm. On 700 scale that equates to about 1100 or so i believe. and that is a feed feed water. You could just be locking out calcium and potassium and other things by overfeeding. Are you testing runoff ppm?

Nice looking setup btw!

T

The Canadian

That is a really high feed rate, what scale on your ppm meter are you using? On a 500 scale I never feed much over 800-850ppm. On 700 scale that equates to about 1100 or so i believe. and that is a feed feed water. You could just be locking out calcium and potassium and other things by overfeeding. Are you testing runoff ppm?

Nice looking setup btw!

I'm on a 500 scale, the reason I have it so high is because in my first grow I was doing about 1200ppm by week 4 of flowering doing about 3/4 of future harvests soil feed guide and had good results however this time on my second grow I learned and adjusted the enviroment and lighting which are now much better and I added c02 so I figured id try to really push them so I am doing the guide 100% with a couple things added ( bud candy, rhino skin, and grozyme )

I do really like your idea with the lower ppms but having a feed, feed, water instead of higher ppms and feed, water, feed I think im going to try that, start with a good clean flush to get myself out of the woods with possible lock out and then lower the ppms and go feed feed water from now on see how they respond.

And no I actually havent had much run off ive been really careful trying not to overwater as I had that problem last time.

Thanks for the advice and the compliment! I worked hard on it 😊 still got lots to learn though.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Just be careful not to kill them with kindness. Looks like you've really done your homework on setting up an optimal environment there, so serious kudos for that.
With nutrients, you cant really force more into the plant than it will use. And if you dont test runoff you dont know what its using. For watering you should really let the plants get good and dry, but when you water, water until you get 10-20% runoff optimally. This will give you both something to test, and it will help to leach excess salts and help prevent ferts from building up.

T

The Canadian

Just be careful not to kill them with kindness. Looks like you've really done your homework on setting up an optimal environment there, so serious kudos for that.
With nutrients, you cant really force more into the plant than it will use. And if you dont test runoff you dont know what its using. For watering you should really let the plants get good and dry, but when you water, water until you get 10-20% runoff optimally. This will give you both something to test, and it will help to leach excess salts and help prevent ferts from building up.

Yeah I really tried to get the room dialed in, im concerned about the run off though. In my previous grow I got run off everytime but the plants would show signs of over watering when I did and I know my soil has quite good drainage as pro mix alone is good soil and I added perilite to improve it. Where can I find the happy medium between run off and not overwatering?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah I really tried to get the room dialed in, im concerned about the run off though. In my previous grow I got run off everytime but the plants would show signs of over watering when I did and I know my soil has quite good drainage as pro mix alone is good soil and I added perilite to improve it. Where can I find the happy medium between run off and not overwatering?

Overwatering is really about watering too often, before the plants need it. Not about too much at one time. You cant oversaturate promix, it has a surfactant in it and it drains very well so it wont swamp the roots from one feeding. Where you get problems is from watering/feeding when it's actually still got moisture in the soil and isnt ready for another feeding yet.
You should only need to water once every 4-5 days. The pot should feel light when you pick it up. At that point, you can water to 50% runoff without causing issues if the EC and ph are dialed. thorough wet/dry cycles keep them happy. But you have to be patient and not get too excited about the next feeding time lol. Only give them what they need, when they need it.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Nice setup! Dirtbags already given better advice than I would lol. Welcome to the farm. I used Future products when I started. Not bad. Not great

T

The Canadian

Overwatering is really about watering too often, before the plants need it. Not about too much at one time. You cant oversaturate promix, it has a surfactant in it and it drains very well so it wont swamp the roots from one feeding. Where you get problems is from watering/feeding when it's actually still got moisture in the soil and isnt ready for another feeding yet.
You should only need to water once every 4-5 days. The pot should feel light when you pick it up. At that point, you can water to 50% runoff without causing issues if the EC and ph are dialed. thorough wet/dry cycles keep them happy. But you have to be patient and not get too excited about the next feeding time lol. Only give them what they need, when they need it.

Ok I will let them dry out a bit then and get a good flush in to test the run off after. So far so good on that 1600ppm feed though 😂 they all seem to be happy except for two but those seeds have been giving me problems the whole time ill definitely be tossing their clones out.

Last edited:
T

The Canadian

Nice setup! Dirtbags already given better advice than I would lol. Welcome to the farm. I used Future products when I started. Not bad. Not great

I actually started with Advanced but didnt like their base nutes I have enjoyed their supplements so far though, as for Future they are well priced and I felt they kept it simple there was and is alot to learn so anywhere I can get some simplicity during this learning curve I will take it. In the future I plan on doing 2 quadrants to test out different nutes side by side and see which ones I like more and which work best for me. And thanks! As I mentioned to dirt I worked pretty hard trying to get the best environment I could and it paid off now I just need to kick some ass with the feeding and watering.

E

eirI

Nice looking setup btw!
Hey every a little new to both this site and posting on forums, however I figured it would be good to get involved in the community to both learn and share so we can all excel.

Today I need to learn, I have a problem with my plants that I do not wish to see get any worse. I am into flower nearing the end of week 3 and I noticed some rusty spots on some of my leaves. As well I had some leaves on just 1 plant Canoe and curl a bit on top but the rest of that plant stayed healthy.

Conditions and Info:

Feed schedule : I alternate food then clean water, ppms have gone from about 1000ppm to 1200ppm in weeks 1 and 2, 1400 in week 3, and 1600 in week 4,
PH 6-6.3
C02: 1000ppm week 1 and 2, 1200 in week 3, 1500 week 4, fresh air through out the night C02 400-475ppm with 3 air exchanges during the day to freshen the room up
Lighting: 6x600w MH Week 1-2, 6 x 600w HPS week 3 - 6 about a foot and a half away from canopy
Nutirents and Feeding: I am using the Future Harvests ( Holland Secret ) soil feeding schedule found here

substituting their B supplement with Advanced nutes B as well as the bud candy and carbo load, I also added rhino skin and grozyme

Conditions and Info:

PH 6-6.3

beautiful garden. Mean green foliage
Ok I will let them dry out a bit then and get a good flush in to test the run off after. So far so good on that 1600ppm feed though 😂 they all seem to be happy except for two but those seeds have been giving me problems the whole time ill definitely be tossing their clones out.

T

The Canadian

Lol egirl I think you replied at to many comments I can find what you were trying to say.

E

eirI

Lol egirl I think you replied at to many comments I can find what you were trying to say.
I was saying what a beautiful green garden you have. Sorry for my post in the wrong place, but again what a very green garden

T

The Canadian

I was saying what a beautiful green garden you have. Sorry for my post in the wrong place, but again what a very green garden

Thank you! Lets hope it stays that way 😂

Top Bottom