RW seedlings need help please

• Thread starter hydro8139
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hydro8139

hydro8139

Okay so I soaked cubed in 5.5 PH water over night. All but maybe 4 seeds sprouted out of about 25 so i was okay with that however they stretched fast then the leaves started to curl down hard and roll up.. Not sure what to do from here. maybe over watered? or kept dome on to long thsy are 10 days old now

Rw seedlings need help please
Hazed420

Hazed420

You have your light to far away bro im no expert just giving a little advice to what i see. They have a super stretch. You need to keep the light per manufacturers instructions on your light. I dont know what type of lights or how far you had it away but thats my thoughts good luck. And nice germination rate.

hydro8139

hydro8139

T5 light The last 2 days i put light anout 4" above plants

hydro8139

hydro8139

Ive never started from seed ive always cloned. I stopped for about 4yrs and just getting back into it first time starting with seeds.. any help is appreciated

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
T5 light The last 2 days i put light anout 4" above plants

You may want to run a couple of the T5's horizontal near the top of the tray. 6-12 inches above your ladies. Mine extend from below the RW on all four sides so that I avoid the "stretch " mentioned by Haze420 .

Happy Growing...

Last edited:
hydro8139

hydro8139

You may want to run a couple of the T5's horizontal near the top of the tray. 6-12 inches above your ladies. Mine extend from below the RW on all four sides so that the "stretch " mentioned by Haze420 .

Happy Growing...
should I remove the dome?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
should I remove the dome?

Personally, i only cover until sprouted. After that i rely on the cabinets environmental stats. I keep that (grow)cabinet at about 75-80% until they get going really well, usually 3-4 weeks before i move them to the flower cabinet where the RH is at about 50-65%. I would think that the RH of your ambient air would be a major determinate as to remove the dome or not. 🍻

p.s. This past spring i had a tough time with germination in RW.. check out the "Lets do it again.... " thread found in my signature. I "Think" i have a solution that works; however i won't know for sure if it was bad technique or truly bad seeds, until i start my next grow.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Okay so I soaked cubed in 5.5 PH water over night. All but maybe 4 seeds sprouted out of about 25 so i was okay with that however they stretched fast then the leaves started to curl down hard and roll up.. Not sure what to do from here. maybe over watered? or kept dome on to long thsy are 10 days old now

Just noticed that you are new to the Farm and want to say Welcome! 🍻 😃

I hope you find this site as useful as I do. If you have an idea or question just ask; someone on the Farm will answer. There are some farmers here who have been doing this a very long time, so the knowledge is DEEP. However, I still recommend that you do your own research into what works for you. Most of all have a good friggin' time!

Happy Growing; and even happier smoking.

l8r

hydro8139

hydro8139

Personally, i only cover until sprouted. After that i rely on the cabinets environmental stats. I keep that (grow)cabinet at about 75-80% until they get going really well, usually 3-4 weeks before i move them to the flower cabinet where the RH is at about 50-65%. I would think that the RH of your ambient air would be a major determinate as to remove the dome or not. 🍻

p.s. This past spring i had a tough time with germination in RW.. check out the "Lets do it again.... " thread found in my signature. I "Think" i have a solution that works; however i won't know for sure if it was bad technique or truly bad seeds, until i start my next grow.
thats one thing i noticed a cpl days ago i removed the dome.. temp got high around 89 and humidity got really low like 40% i did put a humidifier in that room and it raised but im hoping i can bring these things back. so many people pull you differnt ways.. RW rapid rooter etc..

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
thats one thing i noticed a cpl days ago i removed the dome.. temp got high around 89 and humidity got really low like 40% i did put a humidifier in that room and it raised but im hoping i can bring these things back. so many people pull you differnt ways.. RW rapid rooter etc..

Lol, they can be saved. I have had some that were shriveled to almost nothing and yet i managed to get it to flower (yield was lower) however it did flower. So have faith! This too shall pass. 😃 . Again, it is all about finding out what works for you. a humidifier that you can set the percentage on would be most helpful. It does not have to be expensive. When this one is available it is under $20; they sell out quickly.. It will generally go 12 hours between fills; and again it is adjustable so it can be used at different stages of growth as needed.

If you don't control the RH and the airflow your precious buds will get moldy (assuming you make it that far without PM) and the whole experience will be a true bummer 😢, your water temps are going to be critical in controlling root-rot. Although it is down the road, now is a good time to think about how you are going to manage.

btw, how do you plan on growing these out? DWC, RDWC., soil....? Assuming of course that at this time of year, you are growing inside.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F7VP5G7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hydro8139

hydro8139

Lol, they can be saved. I have had some that were shriveled to almost nothing and yet i managed to get it to flower (yield was lower) however it did flower. So have faith! This too shall pass. 😃 . Again, it is all about finding out what works for you. a humidifier that you can set the percentage on would be most helpful. It does not have to be expensive. When this one is available it is under $20; they sell out quickly.. It will generally go 12 hours between fills; and again it is adjustable so it can be used at different stages of growth as needed.

If you don't control the RH and the airflow your precious buds will get moldy (assuming you make it that far without PM) and the whole experience will be a true bummer 😢, your water temps are going to be critical in controlling root-rot. Although it is down the road, now is a good time to think about how you are going to manage.

btw, how do you plan on growing these out? DWC, RDWC., soil....? Assuming of course that at this time of year, you are growing inside.
Yes I planned on doing everything the way i did before. DWC i have 2 1000 hps light in a sectioned off part of room 9 plants in 5 gal buckets per 1k light. with aerator stones in each temp stays around 72 in that area and around 50 humidity level. it is in a basement so i did set it up with padding under so the flooring didnt cool water down.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F7VP5G7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Yes I planned on doing everything the way i did before. DWC i have 2 1000 hps light in a sectioned off part of room 9 plants in 5 gal buckets per 1k light. with aerator stones in each temp stays around 72 in that area and around 50 humidity level. it is in a basement so i did set it up with padding under so the flooring didnt cool water down.

Cool Beans! sounds like you have a plan.

btw. i an early post i gave you the url to a humidifier, it was the wrong one. 😲 although it was the cheap one, it was not the "programmable" one that this one is. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HBVTQC9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Again my apologies.

L8r

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

@hydro8139, you do not have any leaves curling, those are the cotyledon, not true leaves. They are there in part as a food source for your plants to start their life with. It is all the growth above that which matters. Your true leaves are pointing up which is never a bad thing. To me it looks like you are doing fine.

I would say put your DWC buckets directly on the floor, ideal temperature in hydro is 68F; this holds the maximum amount of dissolved oxygen. So putting your buckets on the ground will pull those last 4 degrees away from the water and your plants will love you for it.

hydro8139

hydro8139

@hydro8139, you do not have any leaves curling, those are the cotyledon, not true leaves. They are there in part as a food source for your plants to start their life with. It is all the growth above that which matters. Your true leaves are pointing up which is never a bad thing. To me it looks like you are doing fine.

I would say put your DWC buckets directly on the floor, ideal temperature in hydro is 68F; this holds the maximum amount of dissolved oxygen. So putting your buckets on the ground will pull those last 4 degrees away from the water and your plants will love you for it.
Okay that make me feel a little better. Ive never started from a seed. The leave that are forming above them some are turning brown tips and pointing up. i lowered the light a little to try and help after reading im extremely scared of over watering now with RW.

20191027 083752
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
yeah as soon as they poke their heads up take the dome off. If some are lagging just move the popped ones out of the dome. With seedlings in RW cubes, unlike clones, as soon as you see a tap root pop out transplant them. You can even transplant them before the root. If not you will deal with a lot of stretch. You can always bury them half way up if they stretch too much. I use a paper clip to keep them upright if this happens. Unlike clones seeds have a root system from the get go and start eating right away where clones you don't want too much light cause they will try to grow and cannibalize themselves since they don't have a root structure to absorb nutes.

hydro8139

hydro8139

yeah as soon as they poke their heads up take the dome off. If some are lagging just move the popped ones out of the dome. With seedlings in RW cubes, unlike clones, as soon as you see a tap root pop out transplant them. You can even transplant them before the root. If not you will deal with a lot of stretch. You can always bury them half way up if they stretch too much. I use a paper clip to keep them upright if this happens. Unlike clones seeds have a root system from the get go and start eating right away where clones you don't want too much light cause they will try to grow and cannibalize themselves since they don't have a root structure to absorb nutes.
thank you thats extremely helpful

hydro8139

hydro8139

Okay this may be a dumb question but please bare with me as this is the first time useing RW. when transporting into the Buckets for DWC for veg. im at a position that the roots atent dangling but sticking out of RW when I sit them do i sit them in the water or above and continue to water until the roots reach the water I have strong air stones in the buckets

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Okay this may be a dumb question but please bare with me as this is the first time useing RW. when transporting into the Buckets for DWC for veg. im at a position that the roots atent dangling but sticking out of RW when I sit them do i sit them in the water or above and continue to water until the roots reach the water I have strong air stones in the buckets
Take your net pot put 1-2 inches of hydroton then place the cube on-top of that and fill the rest making sure you won't have light leaks.

You want the water line at 1" below the net pot so that the bubbles from the airstone are breaking the surface just misting the bottom of the net pot. I find take 1 cup of res water a day and pouring over the top helps until the roots hit the water then you can lower the water to 2" below the net pot

You never want your net pot to be touch the water or submerged.

Also you want about 150-200 ppm of nutrients.

Top Bottom