San Diego, 1st indoor, 4x4 tent, soil, organic grow journal

• Thread starter stp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stp

stp

A 30 gallon pot may be too large. I would say go with a 15 gallon pot, maybe a 20. If you are still thinking of downgrading your tent a 2x4 may be appropriate.
A 30 gallon pot may be too large. I would say go with a 15 gallon pot, maybe a 20. If you are still thinking of downgrading your tent a 2x4 may be appropriate.
I’m keeping the 4x4 almost certainly, why is a 30 gallon too big? Plant will get too big in that?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I’m keeping the 4x4 almost certainly, why is a 30 gallon too big? Plant will get too big in that?
The pot may hold onto too much moisture if you have that much soil. There are plenty of examples of people doing great things with a single plant in 15 gallon pots, its more than enough room for your roots to move through but not too big that they won't fill the entirety of the container. While it may seem like its advantageous to water less often if the soil doesn't dry out regularly you can inhibit growth or wose cause damping off of the plants. Personally when in soil I aim to water every other day, once I have to water everyday its time for a bigger pot. On the other hand if I am only watering every 4 or 5 days I will actually try and let the soil get a bit more dry than I would ideally like so the roots really stretch out in search of soil, then resume watering, aiming for waterings every other day.

stp

stp

The pot may hold onto too much moisture if you have that much soil. There are plenty of examples of people doing great things with a single plant in 15 gallon pots, its more than enough room for your roots to move through but not too big that they won't fill the entirety of the container. While it may seem like its advantageous to water less often if the soil doesn't dry out regularly you can inhibit growth or wose cause damping off of the plants. Personally when in soil I aim to water every other day, once I have to water everyday its time for a bigger pot. On the other hand if I am only watering every 4 or 5 days I will actually try and let the soil get a bit more dry than I would ideally like so the roots really stretch out in search of soil, then resume watering, aiming for waterings every other day.
That’s good information. Based on that, my 5 gallon pots almost never got to “every other day” until about week 6 of flower. So that tells me that if I went 10-15 it might not dry out for a week. I’ve seen guys go 15 Gallon for one plant. I’ll take your advice and back off the 30 gal! Thank you!

Ganjagrow

Ganjagrow

Those are fire mate! Looks like another week or two? Nicely done stp

Reactions: stp
BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Really? One or two more? Plan was this weekend. Today is day 62 flower...you think they look like they still need more time huh?
A wise man once told me when you think they are ready, wait another week! 😂 gotta be killing you! I've read through your diary and you knocked it out of the park! The hermies came out of nowhere. It's very educational to read through these journeys. Those nugs are looking pretty tasty! Im curious to see what kind of issues I create on my first grow lol freaking awesome hobby!

stp

stp

A wise man once told me when you think they are ready, wait another week! 😂 gotta be killing you! I've read through your diary and you knocked it out of the park! The hermies came out of nowhere. It's very educational to read through these journeys. Those nugs are looking pretty tasty! Im curious to see what kind of issues I create on my first grow lol freaking awesome hobby!
Thank you Bogart! It was a fun first run. I’ve read other stories of people’s Hasberry going Hermie on them too, wondering if that’s just a flaw in their genetics or what. I could have stressed them to induce it, I am not sure I’ll ever really know. But I do know that I could have light leaks and I’m going to have a problem with heat in the summer as my temps run from 67-86 degrees (averaging more like 75 I’m sure. And this was winter here in San Diego.

I check trichomes everyday and as of today they are all pretty much cloudy. One here or there may be amber, and there’s probably just as many clear as amber.
I’m worried one more week pushes THC into degradation and turns CBG or CBN or whatever other undesirable cannabinoid they break down into. And yeah, I’m anxious to get them done. Today is day 61 flower. Watered with nutrients Monday, plain water Wednesday, tomorrow am it’s either plain water for the chop this weekend or food and we’re headed into another week.

2D93F31F BFEF 4C72 B9AA D8DC243A292D
F74BCA73 D2D1 498B A4FF E63DBEFA06C1
C0E84D3B 2D81 4B9F BD8E FBFDA8489341
Ganjagrow

Ganjagrow

Really? One or two more? Plan was this weekend. Today is day 62 flower...you think they look like they still need more time huh?
All good mate it’s not an exact science. Don’t get caught up on the days in flower. Like baking a cake, flower time is a estimate not a rule. Always check the cake with a toothpick or a loupe 😉

RR

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Thank you Bogart! It was a fun first run. I’ve read other stories of people’s Hasberry going Hermie on them too, wondering if that’s just a flaw in their genetics or what. I could have stressed them to induce it, I am not sure I’ll ever really know. But I do know that I could have light leaks and I’m going to have a problem with heat in the summer as my temps run from 67-86 degrees (averaging more like 75 I’m sure. And this was winter here in San Diego.

I check trichomes everyday and as of today they are all pretty much cloudy. One here or there may be amber, and there’s probably just as many clear as amber.
I’m worried one more week pushes THC into degradation and turns CBG or CBN or whatever other undesirable cannabinoid they break down into. And yeah, I’m anxious to get them done. Today is day 61 flower. Watered with nutrients Monday, plain water Wednesday, tomorrow am it’s either plain water for the chop this weekend or food and we’re headed into another week.
Looks awesome and I bet it smells even better! I have Ethos Citral Glue and it is know to hermie too.

stp

stp

All good mate it’s not an exact science. Don’t get caught up on the days in flower. Like baking a cake, flower time is a estimate not a rule. Always check the cake with a toothpick or a loupe 😉

RR
Those photos and all my insight are because of my loupe and mini microscope. I look everyday. Don’t see any reason to NOT harvest this week but people all over telling me, hold off, one more week. Weekends are the best time to do it for me, so that’s part of my reasoning, but now CA might be on a long weekend so I may have time to do it anytime next week. We’ll see. Thanks for the support on here everyone! Very helpful!

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I decided to push them into next week sometime...so I fed them BioBoost, cal-Mag and cannazyme just now.
NO!! FLUSH. Even with organics I give a 2 week "flush" period. I want the plants to have used everything they have stored up before harvest. They are at the end of their lives they do not need food.

Your hermie problems were both your light leak and the genetics. If the genetics were properly stress tested then they would have known that hermies were going to be an issue and either should not have released the seeds or warned the consumer what they were getting into.

visajoe1

visajoe1

Smart move waiting another week, you'll appreciate it later. Chill Gun, no need to yell, he fed lightly, and the flushing for 2 weeks thing is a myth.

stp

stp

NO!! FLUSH. Even with organics I give a 2 week "flush" period. I want the plants to have used everything they have stored up before harvest. They are at the end of their lives they do not need food.

Your hermie problems were both your light leak and the genetics. If the genetics were properly stress tested then they would have known that hermies were going to be an issue and either should not have released the seeds or warned the consumer what they were getting into.
Haha, I feel his enthusiasm! Only food they get is a special hops terpenes and molasses/sea kelp blend from Canna with like 0-1-0. Im going with a week long flush (If that) it will really be a two application flush next week. Fed today and by Monday or Tuesday they get water and water one more time before next weekend. It’s 100% organic everything. I don’t need a two week flush. I really probably don’t have to flush at all with what I was feeding them. It’s gonna be great! Balls and all! Haha. These were bag seeds from a buddy who has grown this outdoors for a few years. Can’t complain, he won’t listen anyways.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Haha, I feel his enthusiasm! Only food they get is a special hops terpenes and molasses/sea kelp blend from Canna with like 0-1-0. Im going with a week long flush (If that) it will really be a two application flush next week. Fed today and by Monday or Tuesday they get water and water one more time before next weekend. It’s 100% organic everything. I don’t need a two week flush. I really probably don’t have to flush at all with what I was feeding them. It’s gonna be great! Balls and all! Haha. These were bag seeds from a buddy who has grown this outdoors for a few years. Can’t complain, he won’t listen anyways.
for best tasting and for increasing potency, it’s all in drying and curing and that takes time and a skill to learn properly!
no need to flush!
start learning/reading and trial and error till you get it right!
like hash from hash making countries, nothing taste any better!
weed from marijuana growing countries before indoor pot, was the bomb! in taste and high!
why? drying and curing!

stp

stp

I just inspected trichomes and I think they will be fine for another week. There's a clear here or there....but not many amber either. Three out of four plants are showing signs of deficiency, one is charging along still, very deep green. The grow schedule I used has Cannazyme and Bio Boost going all the way to the end, with a week left, this was the last food forever. The last watering before today was plain water and it was a lot, almost 5 gallons. About 1-1.5 gallons more than I ever gave them before. For the past few weeks it's been Bio Boost (0-1-0) and Cannazyme which promotes dead root and soil matter breakdown and prevents mold and problems in the soil, that's it. So the nutrient load in the soil should not be that "heavy". Certainly nothing like Hydro and everything is from natural sources, the soil is living with Myco & teas. As for Drying and Curing, I've had some experience with this before and I have a great set up to hopefully give them a nice dark place to chill out. Then to jars for the task of opening and closing until they are just right! After that, I will pack them into vacuum seal bags and suck them up like fresh hot bread....right? haha.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I just inspected trichomes and I think they will be fine for another week. There's a clear here or there....but not many amber either. Three out of four plants are showing signs of deficiency, one is charging along still, very deep green. The grow schedule I used has Cannazyme and Bio Boost going all the way to the end, with a week left, this was the last food forever. The last watering before today was plain water and it was a lot, almost 5 gallons. About 1-1.5 gallons more than I ever gave them before. For the past few weeks it's been Bio Boost (0-1-0) and Cannazyme which promotes dead root and soil matter breakdown and prevents mold and problems in the soil, that's it. So the nutrient load in the soil should not be that "heavy". Certainly nothing like Hydro and everything is from natural sources, the soil is living with Myco & teas. As for Drying and Curing, I've had some experience with this before and I have a great set up to hopefully give them a nice dark place to chill out. Then to jars for the task of opening and closing until they are just right! After that, I will pack them into vacuum seal bags and suck them up like fresh hot bread....right? haha.
yep, for the most part.
the first week or two you want that plant to dry Slowly!! slow as possible with Good air flow without letting mould/fungus start.
a proper curing can take up to 6 months,and as little as 2 months.

stp

stp

Last week of Flower, what is this? These are coming out a few different spots...thicker than pistils...very yellow and like the heart of a flower before is blooms. Male flower?
DSC 0008

This is the FC, it wants to turn purple or red, I like the fall look overall.
DSC 0013 2

Hashberry had two lighter and one super dark. Still dark now.
DSC 0012

Frozen Custard (FC) little nugs not nearly as dense as the Hasberry
DSC 0027

the tallest and seemingly biggest Hashberry cola.
DSC 0018

DSC 0025

DSC 0008 2
Top Bottom