Sand as a soil topper?

• Thread starter Pappyspoison
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pappyspoison

Longtime grower seems to help with moisture loss, soil fungus and bug prevention. Is it worth it?

New to forum

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Longtime grower seems to help with moisture loss, soil fungus and bug prevention. Is it worth it?

New to forum
No idea myself but welcome, a good question I'd like to see a reply from someone that knows myself. I've never used a crop cover but I'm learning.

Z

Zill

Howdy Pappy,

I know in the turf industry, golf course maintenance, it’s common to top dress the turf with sand. Good for soil structure. Not sure if a layer if sand will help. The fungus and bugs are already there.

Zill.

Madmax

Madmax

Helps with drainage if anything.i have saandy loam soil where i am.for soil retention i use humus.manures and compost etc.pure sand on the other hand would stop gnats but i just use de..

P

Pappyspoison

I have been getting good results. Had fungus gnats but this is good prevention and cure. Remember to cover drain holes also. Don’t have to use any neem etc…

Keeps the top dry and prevents most fungus from coming thru. Was wondering if anyone else does this? and do they get good results?

F4E01F45 88BD 468F 9DF6 1AA5B070B673
NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

I have used diatomaceous earth and sand as a cover. I found it helped with fungus gnats, but a bit messy when watering. Covering drainage holes is great advice, gnats love em. I have experimented with using pure coir as a cover for soil, it tends to dry out pretty quick and keep the gnats at bay. My best luck against fungus gnats has been with mosquito dunks. I crumble some on top of the soil and I put one in my watering bucket. Fungus gnats never get very far past a few fliers in the tent.

T_Dub

T_Dub

This year I used hydroton clay pellets over my fox farm ocean forest based on the experience of another grower. Not only should it keep the top inch of soil moist for the roots to grow, it also seems to keep any fungus gnats away. I had zero gnats….I normally get at least 1 or 2 visible gnats. I keep some “Gnatrol” powder for a soil soak if I ever get an infestation, but FFOF has been pretty gnat-free for me.

D5E93E3F 7BBB 406E BAE3 BED82D5E96BA

Latest posts

Top Bottom