Sativa/indica Ratio Relevance

• Thread starter Onetwothree
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Onetwothree

Onetwothree

When a breeder says that a hybrid strain is 70/30 Sativa/Indica, what does this mean? Is that to say that if you plant 10 seeds 7 of them will be sativa leaning phenotypes? Or is this more of a "this is what to expect from the high" type of thing.

Also, I've read a few articles in which a certain scientist is claiming that the whole "indica gives you couch lock, sativa is uplifting energetic/high" is total bullshit. If anyone is interested I can dig up the link, but I'm sure if I've seen it, it's not news to you guys. Does anyone else feel this way, or (even better) have you seen studies to back this up or to back up that the general indica/sativa effect paradigm is in fact true?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

first question is the 70/30 means the strain leans more to the sativa side .#2 you will have diffrent looking phenos because of the 2 parents,you will no the sativa dominant by the leaves long narrow , so you have two of the same strain ,one has long and wide leaves,the other has shorter leaves but still wide leaves,the one with long thinner leaves is sativa dom ,but still the same strain,you get what im saying,it just leans more to the sativaside ,with growth the sativa dom will also be taller and lanky ,indica you can get some hedges out of them ,if you dig what im saying.me im like the 70/30 sativa is good day meds,indica pain and couch

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Thanks man. Yea I know about the physical traits of the sativa vs indica, but I was just wondering how they end up with the ratios for each hybrid... i.e. is the resulting strain tested somehow? Or is this just a ratio that is ball-parked? Also, if it is an accurate figure, why don't breeders use them more often? I've noticed a good number of breeders that don't really offer up the ratio for their genetics.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i dont think you can get a accurate figure,everyone ive popped none have had the same ,i got 3 back there now that the nod distance is noticable ,but standing back looking at them they all look the same,smell is also something for deciding in breeding.you cant garuntee those numbers ,just sales related.they are diffrent you could get 4 diffrent structures from the one plant ,thats when you think about breeding them,uh huh

shemshemet

shemshemet

The ratio is simply "how much indica lineage vs how much sativa lineage".

It is a pretty arbitrary trait in my opinion.

Where did sativa originate vs where did indica originate?

A plant with narrow leaves may yield indica-style dominant flowers. And then you get into cannabinoids....

No, it's all basically arbitrary. Roughly meaning tight dense stinky buds are indica, and fluffier spicier bud are sativa. And then growth habit...

xavier7995

xavier7995

Yeah, it just tells you what sort of characteristics to expect, how far to either end of the sativa/indica spectrum the strain goes...and as shemshemet pointed out, is just some arbitrary number, a guesstimate if you will:) Its handy and useful info though.

Top Bottom