***Saturation Levels Of Dissolved Oxygen In Relation To Water Temperature***

• Thread starter Ben Derdundat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UCMENOW

UCMENOW

R & D is always on at CC

Lost....from what I understand all of the above is in the works as we speak.

You must be tapped into the same wave lengths as the team at CC.

Word on the inside streets is CC has a nutrient in the works......I can't say too much (mostly cause I don't know much), but I've heard it will just be Grow, Bloom and a PK booster......simple one part with directions specific to water culture applications.

I'll try to find out more and keep the Farm posted.

H

Hap

For folks looking for a practical guide for DO in dwc or e&f buckets, a single outlet air pump will max out a bucket, or unit up to 4 gallons. For anything larger, up to 12 gallons, use a dual outlet pump. This is based on several years of testing the same units and girls both ways to see if I could increase yeild by increasing DO.

H

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Peanut Gallery's in Full Effect

Your "test" involved a single vs. double outlet air pumps?

No offense Hap, but if FatMan were around and read your post he would slash you up bro.

This DO topic has been "bubbling" on the Farm for many years, it would be wise to research a little further before offering remedial advice to other farmers.

With that said, welcome to the Farm.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Just for curiosity's sake, when you DWC/UC folks are addressing the issue of DO, are you also measuring CO2? I'm reading this and trying to wrap my head around the idea of someone doing this and, for instance, dosing CO2 into the room. And I know of more than a few reefkeepers (my background) who, despite having extensive mechanisms in place to keep DO2 levels high, experience concurrent high CO2 levels in wintertime. **Edited to add: those high CO2 levels can be detrimental in this situation for reasons such as dropping water pH, and causing issues with the ability of corals to deposit skeleton tissue, etc.**

Odd upon first examination, yes, but then consider the situation--closed loop airflow in a heated home. That rather describes a grow room, yes? For some the solution was O3 injection, but they want everything oxidized and removed from the water column. Growers want something slightly different.

So naturally I'm a little curious as to this other half of the equation. :)

Papa

Papa

Supporter
seamaiden, when using a "sealed room" (with CO2 added) the airpump is located outside the room (or some pumps have an intake that can be ducted to the outside) so that the source of air for the airpump has "normal" (not artificially increased) amounts of CO2.

'hope this helps.

Papa

J

Jalisco Kid

I think with rootzones....my observations been its the presence of both course and micro-bubbles. The micro bubbles being easier for the roots to assimilate, while the more course bubbles helping to agitate and displace the roots. This in turn promoting lateral suspension of the most primordial root tips.

IMO.....its this root buoyancy in the "root zone" that helps promote more bushy, lateral plant growth in the plants "leaf zone".

I think this is one reason you tend to see naturally bushy plants growing in the UC's & MPB's more often than not.

Disclaimer.....I make real world observations, I'm not a scientist....I'm a farmer.

Plant roots do not absorb any O from bubbles I do not care how small they are(from a commercial airstone) It is the bubble's surface to water is were the exchange is going on. Mostly done at the surface.
I disagree on the bushy plant statement. JK

L

Lost

Plant roots do not absorb any O from bubbles I do not care how small they are(from a commercial airstone) It is the bubble's surface to water is were the exchange is going on. Mostly done at the surface.

J/k - In an aero setup, after spraying, do the roots absorb any Oxygen from the air? I was under the impression they did and this was a major advantage of that type of setup. While I agree that o2 exchange happens at the bubble surface, I also think there is more going on that what we invision :)

M

mrdizzle

by bubbles dont even make it to the top, the roots engulf all the bubbles

does anyone think the weight and resistance of the water as the bubble goes up strips some of that air bubble of oxygen, reason i wonder is I was scuba diving last weekend in a pool and when I watched the bubbles go up, some of the bubbles would become smaller and disperse before hitting the surface

J

jakew215

this cats a fuckin clown, you just straight up say you blatantly disagree, then just leave it at that.

its like every post i see of yours is flat arrogant.

WHY do you disagree jk. You go into court innocent untill proven guilty. Come up with some facts so we can truly take heed to your statements and apply then to ourselves. if you cant do that then why bother saying anything at all jk?

shit you say consistently pisses me off when you should be spreading your vast amount of knowledge not just callin people out.

your a prick.

B

Bobby Smith

this cats a fuckin clown, you just straight up say you blatantly disagree, then just leave it at that.

WHY do you disagree jk. You go into court innocent untill proven guilty. Come up with some facts so we can truly take heed to your statements and apply then to ourselves. if you cant do that then why bother saying anything at all jk?

shit you say consistently pisses me off when you should be spreading your vast amount of knowledge not just callin people out.

your a prick.

I'm kinda hoping for a nice and intelligent debate in this thread, and posts like yours aren't gonna help the situation out.

The post wasn't even directed at you, so if you're really that offended then just PM him.

Now do you guys/gals mind getting back on the topic of DO? I'm taking notes..........

M

mrdizzle

your a prick.

how bout you chill the fuck out or head over to ICmag

B

Bobby Smith

J/k - In an aero setup, after spraying, do the roots absorb any Oxygen from the air? I was under the impression they did and this was a major advantage of that type of setup. While I agree that o2 exchange happens at the bubble surface, I also think there is more going on that what we invision :)

Lost, have never run aero (besides the EZ Clone 120 I bought last week), but I know that believing that plant's roots can absorb O2 from the air while also taking up nutes/water was one of the main reasons I chose hydroton for my E&F setup(s).

I have no basis for this "understanding" except for an "Ask Lucas" thread where he specifically referenced this - I'd try to find the exact post, but the Cannabis World servers seem to be down.

J

Jalisco Kid

your a prick.

Well dickwad I put as much facts as the next and looking at your posts my mistakes offer more. I try to be polite to my fellow farmers but at the same time I feel I should be as verbal. You want a respectful answers you kind of got to show some, Bitch.

J

Jalisco Kid

Lost, have never run aero (besides the EZ Clone 120 I bought last week), but I know that believing that plant's roots can absorb O2 from the air while also taking up nutes/water was one of the main reasons I chose hydroton for my E&F setup(s).

I have no basis for this "understanding" except for an "Ask Lucas" thread where he specifically referenced this - I'd try to find the exact post, but the Cannabis World servers seem to be down.

Aero works from the exchange with the water and air. It takes the O out of the air and the roots use the O in your nute solution. I tried once to use a hp aero in a closed system thinking the extra pressure would force the O thru the root barrier. Did not work, it would be nice it it did then we would just have to run a little more compressed air thru our tanks. I pump air into my aero(gm1000's) but that is just to keep the co2 out.
When you drain your e&F table air is drawn into the root zone. The O is going from the air to the thin coating of water/nutes covering your roots and hydroton.
90% of O absorption is thru respiration, You could get more O from adding more blue light then from a gaseous exchange in the roots. You might also get more O from O fixation with organic compounds then thru a gaseous exchange with the roots.
I may be a little off here as I was not fortunate enough to be book learned just from observations with my girls and the toys I made for them. JK

P

phup

I've been lurking on this site for a while now and have seen JK post on a pleathora of issues. He doesn't always (often) sugar coat his posts but they are rarely without merit. Jakew215, you accuse him of "blantantly disagreeing" without providing reasoning. In fact, if you read his post his reasoning is clear: If it is true that the exchange of gases between root and medium occur at the surface of the water, then the size of the air bubbles below the surface would not matter as the roots are not O2 from there anyway.

I for one do not necessarily agree with that claim entirely, but the point herein is that the farm is place where we can debate, criticize and theorize without people getting their panties in a bunch. There is nothing constructive about calling people pricks in on online forum. If you disagree with JK or if you think he did not provide adequate reasons for his claim, call him out on it, but for all our sakes keep your personal anger issues at bay. Maybe JK does piss you off, maybe his posts do come across as arrogant sometimes, but that's no reason to start name calling. The end result of that approach is that the whole thread degenerates into a bunch of BS

J

Jalisco Kid

No facts here just observations,which is why I did not say you were wrong. I think your observations of bucket systems is drawing the wrong conclusion. I think since most growers that invest time and money into the systems have so much invested that they did a little research as to the plants needs. I believe the bushiness is from growing out cuts from the beginning giving the adequate light and nutes. This causes short internode spacing on the stalk and branches. This short internode spacing is what causes the plant to appear thick and rounded. Adding side lighting only increases these effects. I believe this is right as I have seen some piss poor growers using half ass bucket systems growing tall spindlely plants no matter how well the root zone was treated. Suerte JK
And please do not construe my disagreeing as anything but that.

H

Headach

JK i could of sworn you were a bubble man while fatman (when he was posting here) argued the opposite of you. I was trying to dig that thread up but i guess the mod deleted it.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
JK i could of sworn you were a bubble man while fatman (when he was posting here) argued the opposite of you. I was trying to dig that thread up but i guess the mod deleted it.

here it is, for old times' sake:

Papa

L

Lost

lost,
i think those numbers ben posted are pretty hard. i've seen them quoted in academic papers all the way back to the 1930s. but i have no personal experience in checking DO levels. i got no meter!

Papa

The reason I mention it is because of this here:

When we measured DO in our greenhouse reservoirs, we found that a 74°F (23°C) nutrient tank at an EC of 2 had a DO of 6.3 ppm (low because of salts and sitting still). When we turned on an eductor (venturi), which we do in ALL reservoirs, we received a reading of 7.6 ppm. BIG difference. That’s an increase of 1.3 ppm without changing temperature.

So a sitting solution and a venturi airated one will have 2 different readings.

I agree the #'s are hard #'s but under what circutstances? Is this a solution that has been as airated and that is the number? Or is that a stagnant solution, non airated.

Hope that makes sence.

Top Bottom