***Saturation Levels Of Dissolved Oxygen In Relation To Water Temperature***

• Thread starter Ben Derdundat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ben Derdundat

Ben Derdundat

Ben thanks for the thought provoking post. Any other stuff you can help to educate us with?

HaHa! Sure thing.
Looks like JK, Papa, UC and Yourself are the ones handing down an education on this subject. I just planted the seed... The insight and opinions you all have given are priceless. I think the next generation of growers are spoiled in a sense that information can be so easily obtained on the subject of growing cannabis. Trade secretes were never shared so freely before. They don't realize that the information shared here was acquired from years of hands on experience, not from your local shop owner or internet forum as from who they most likely have obtained their knowledge. Regardless, I'm the one that should be thanking you. bd

Lost,
i think i see what you're asking . . . and after rereading ben's post i think i see the problem.

ben wrote: "Here is a list of water temperatures and the amounts of dissolved oxygen that water contains in relation to these temperatures:"

as i understand it, it should have read "Here is a list of water temperatures and the saturation level of dissolved oxygen that water may be able to achieve:"

as i understand it, there is a maximum level of dissolved oxygen (DO) in water that can be achieved. this maximum level is referred to as the "Saturation Level." the saturation level can vary because of at least three factors: temperature, TDS, and atmospheric pressure.

by cooling our reservoirs, we are trying to increase the capacity of our water to hold more DO.

let's take your example: a reservoir of 74°F nuted water with DO of 6.3 ppm. perhaps it's stagnant, maybe it was aerated a while ago, maybe not, we don't know. what we do know is that it's 74°F and has a DO of 6.3 ppm.

ben's post tells us that 74°F water (likely 0 TDS and at sea level) is capable (in ideal lab conditions) of achieving a maximum of 8.5 ppm of DO.

your 74°F nuted water at a DO of 6.3 ppm isn't yet saturated. (maybe it is, depending on how much stuff you've added to it, maybe not).

let's stick a venturi in that bucket and see if we can get those DO numbers up!

yep, that's great, we've aerated the bucket with a venturi and the DO has risen to 7.6 ppm! that's about 20%!

what ben's post tells us is that no matter how long we keep that venturi going, and no matter how pure we make the water . . . we ain't never getting the DO higher than 8.5 . . . unless we drop the temperature. if we drop the temperature from 74°F to 65°F >>>> we may be able to achieve an additional 10% increase in DO!!

i hope this helps.

Papa

Thanks for correcting me and the clarification.:rauch08:

L

Lost

I think the next generation of growers are spoiled in a sense that information can be so easily obtained on the subject of growing cannabis. Trade secretes were never shared so freely before. They don't realize that the information shared here was acquired from years of hands on experience, bd

Very true. There are the few experimenting for the many here im afraid :)

L

Lost

And thx, you are too kind. A few college students with proper motivation would set us all in our place. College students.. Motivation...... nevermind!!

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Classic JK Flip Flop

So you admit you/they follow my work as I have been doing this for over 7 years. I do not want this to sound mean but there in nothing on the UC system worth copying. My rcdwc is much further along then those. Not that I have a problem wanting to improve my system, if I see a good idea I will use it and acknowledge it. JK

JK.....you go girl. ;)

squarepusher

squarepusher

hey guys, im in SD and I got ahold of someone with a unit in northern SD (The rainforest guys). He said he has a unit for $400 and you need a highpressure pump, he offered to give me a demo and meet him. Should I meet him/get a unit to test?

L

Lost

Yea, someone should! Would be great to get some pics and see what is really involved.

For 400 bucks looks looks ok.. What are we looking at, 600 with the pump? What kind of pump? Will an ap-100 work?

hhahah

squarepusher

squarepusher

Yea, someone should! Would be great to get some pics and see what is really involved.

For 400 bucks looks looks ok.. What are we looking at, 600 with the pump? What kind of pump? Will an ap-100 work?

hhahah

think he said 50 psi pump in the email. This would basically replace all airstones/bubblers, and sounds damn nice. I think ill preview the unit...

L

Lost

Ahh, im going to be in bfe so i'll probablly use a big regen unit. Keep us posted, it'll be a few months before I can get one but I do plan on tracking one down...

squarepusher

squarepusher

Did you mean river forest? If you get one let us know...

yup, heres a copy of his email>From: Joe Morikawa <[email protected]>
>Sent: Wed, September 1, 2010 1:26:07 AM
>Subject: RE: RE: micro bubble
>
>
>
>Dear ,
>
>Our AS-MK III will do the job. It is priced at $8500 EXW Japan.
>We offer 10% discount for single unit purchase.
>
>There are other types of Micro-Bubble devices and if you are interested, I
>can send the information.
>The price is about $400 and you need a water pump(1/4 HP) to operate.
>
>Where are you located?
>
>Best regards,
>
>Joe Morikawa
>
>Riverforest Corporation
>3562 Avenida Amorosa
>Escondido, CA 92029 U.S.A.
>Tel: 760-484-2723
>E-mail: [email protected]
>Website: www.riverforestcorp.com <http://www.riverforestcorp.com/>
>

Ben Derdundat

Ben Derdundat

Nice. Like JK mentioned, nutrient fall out could be a problem... I would go with the $400 one first and do some experimenting...

squarepusher

squarepusher

Muddy River

any idea on pricing with Muddy River? They do sales by contact only, generally with that you can expect in the thousands at least for a price tag. A several thousand dollar investment would be too much and not worth it even for fairly large scale operations. Their unit did look interesting, since I'm contacting Rainforest, how about someone else contacts Muddy River to find out their info? :)

I have an appointment with Joe tomorrow to see the lower priced unit. Anything I should ask him? I"ll try to take pictures and video too, let me know if there is anything special I should ask about the unit. peace

Ben Derdundat

Ben Derdundat

Bring some nutrients with you, mineral based and organic to see if there is fall out. Hopefully they will let you test it on site without making a purchase.

Oh yeah don't forget your pH and PPM meters as well...

J

Just Facts

Awesome looking technology, but I'm betting the nutes fall out. Anyone else?

squarepusher

squarepusher

if the noots did fall out, then they should easily mix back in. The microbubbler is not meant to be used 100% of the time from what I got? I heard from Riverforest president, that microbubbles have a large energy containment, meaning that they release a lot of heat once they pop after a few minutes and raise the water temperature significantly. I wonder if this will be an issue for hydroponics?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Awesome looking technology, but I'm betting the nutes fall out. Anyone else?
Not fall out, foam UP. I'm not positive, but it's what makes sense in my head, understanding what foam fractionation is and how it works and all that.

Hydrophobia vs hydrophilia!
:icon_dizzy:

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

YO BRO, what about 31 degrees how much O2 mannnnnn?

I have noticed that the question of whether a chiller is necessary or not when growing in the Under Current has been debated some and I wanted to share some information that might help clear things up for some people. The purpose of chilling the water in an Under Current system or any system for that matter is not only to keep the root zone healthy and free from disease, it is also done so to help increase the saturation level of dissolved oxygen that is in your nutrient solution. The whole point of the Under Current and DWC is to have large amounts of dissolved oxygen in the nutrient solution. This is what causes the plants to be able to assimilate nutrients faster and have such rapid cell growth. bd

Here is a list of water temperatures and the amounts of dissolved oxygen that water contains in relation to these temperatures:

Degrees in Fahrenheit / Dissolved oxygen in ppm

32.0 / 14.6
34.8 / 13.8
39.2 / 13.1
42.8 / 12.5
46.4 / 11.9
50.0 / 11.3
53.6 / 10.8
57.2 / 10.3
60.8 / 9.9
64.4 / 9.5
68.0 / 9.1