Scarification To Increase likelihood of Germination

• Thread starter hotrod717
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hotrod717

hotrod717

I have had some issues in germinating some seeds from a prominent breeder. Out of 4 or so germination attempts, a total of 7seeds, two different strains and two different batches or times that i had procured the seeds, I 've only had one out of those 8 seeds actually germinate.

Scarification in botany involves weakening, opening, or otherwise altering the coat of a seed to encourage germination. Scarification is often done mechanically, thermally, and chemically. The seeds of many plant species are often impervious to water and gases, thus preventing or delaying germination. Any process designed to make the testa (seed coat) more permeable to water and gases (and thus more likely to germinate) is known as scarification.
I do not believe stratification is necessary with cannabis, but would think that scarification should be common practice to increase the likelihood of successful germination.
How many people have utilized this technique? Is there any reason why this would or could not be used as common practice anytime when germinating seeds?

Pippins

Pippins

I prefer an h2o2 soak to physical scarification. H202 will chemically scarify a seed and is more gentle and effective in my experience, plus it kills off a lot of the pathogenic bacteria that a seed collects on its journey. I use 30 ml h2o2 per 500 ml water, soak seeds in that for 12-24 hours, then direct to media for germination. Keep at 78-80, uncovered, under weak lights. Temp is extremely important-i keep mine under t5s 24/7 until they're on their way. Water the media with fulvic acid/seaweed for even better germ rates-there are good studies out there on increased seed germination for h2o2, fulvic acid, and seaweed-it's a really effective combination. Don't pre germ in a paper towel. Google mandala germination guide if you need more GOOD germ advice.

Top Bottom