Scientific papers on fast curing

• Thread starter 0tt0
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
0tt0

0tt0

Seeing as I've spent the weekend digging up these articles again and now @Yarra's thread is locked I'll post what I've found here so my time hasn't gone to waste. To be honest I still dont know if I can be assed fucking around with a new drying system tho. Well whatever, anyway to make up for my initial rude comment I’m posting up some of the papers I read. A few in particular really caused me to change my mind. There are a few other good ones too but I’ll have to have another look in pubmed. Easy to access all these through a public library same as me.

In no particular order…

Effects of flue-curing and ageing on the volatile, neutral and acidic constituents of Virginia tobacco

The effect of freeze-drying and its implications for botanical medicine: a review

Effect of Drying Methods on the Quality of the Essential Oil of Spearmint Leaves (Mentha spicata L.)

Cannabis smoke condensate III: the cannabinoid content of vaporised Cannabis sativa.

Influence of drying process on the quality of medicinal plants: A review

Effect of different drying methods on the quality and quantity of the essential oil of lemon balm (Melissa officinalis l.)

Cannabis smoke condensate III: the cannabinoid content of vaporised Cannabis sativa.

DRYING OF MEDICINAL PLANTS

Is today's marijuana more potent simply because it's fresher?

THE PROPAGATION, CHARACTERISATION AND OPTIMISATION OF CANNABIS SATIVA L AS A PHYTOPHARMACEUTICAL

Changes in chemical composition of tobacco lamina during senescence and curing. 1. Plastid pigments

Changes in chemical composition of burley tobacco during senescence and curing. 3. Tobacco-specific nitrosamines

Not trying to open that can of worms again just sharing what I found.

Supercharge

Supercharge

Good work bro, there's a lot of reading there for those who are interested! Will definitely be having a read through them later.

YarraSparra

YarraSparra

Thanks Otto. I’m a little annoyed my thread got locked, so I’ll take this opportunity to clear up a couple of things.

To those who suggested that we’ve been smoking weed long enough to have it all figured out, I have an analogy for you. We’ve been making wine for probably even longer. Do you still see fat Mediterranean ladies jumping around in wooden caskets crushing the grapes with their bare feet at modern vineyards - I think the science has progressed a little since then. LMAO. If we’ve been growing weed for 6000 years, that means the art has had 6000 years of evolution to get to where it has. 6000 years ago we didn’t have hydroponics, elite strains or dehumidifiers. Hell we didn’t have hydroponics 50 years ago! Imagine what the weed in 50yrs is going to be like? Definitely not some wispy yellow grass grown on the side of an Afghan mountain. ;)

What I said about ‘rehydration’ has been taken mildly out of context. That’s probably my fault so I will elaborate. Firstly, it’s not necessary to take literally 100% of the moisture out of the buds - difficult to achieve anyway. By the time my buds are at their driest they would have somewhere between 2-6% moisture remaining (that’s just an educated guess). This is too dry to smoke (because it will burn too hot), but it’s a preferable state to keep the buds in because mold can’t grow and enzymatic processes have virtually stopped.

To get the buds ready for smoking or sale you don’t need to do anything special. Like I said, they will naturally absorb moisture from the air and stabilize at around the normal 10% mark. This is due to the buds’ hygroscopic properties, moisture in the air will naturally return the ‘spring’ back into them. RH will dictate how quickly this will happen. This process is not detrimental to bud quality or aroma. If your weed smells like ‘hay’ then compounds might have been oxidized or more likely broken down by microbes or enzymes - although the latter are moisture dependent mechanisms the loss of aroma in this instance is NOT a function of moisture - there is a big difference. Fast curing circumvents these issues.

However all that said, for those of you worried about taking too much moist out of your buds, simply stop the drying process before they get that dry. In my experience this can be a pain esp. with large dense heads, as the middle of the buds may stay moist. You could potentially mitigate this by turning off the dehumidifier and just leaving the fans on low for the last few days instead, but then you stretch out the drying process again.

The reason I fast cure is very simple: I want to minimize how far enzymatic and oxygen dependant reactions proceed between harvest and consumption. The explanation for this in the OP of my thread. There may be other ways to achieve this, but I have found this to be the most practical.

YS

YarraSparra

YarraSparra

As long as people follow the rules, this thread won't be locked. Talking about trades in the open forum? BOUND to get it locked up. That was the issue with the old thread.

Who did that?

I've had a read through your other thread Yarrasparra and have a question for you. Have you ever done your own double blind trials? Slow cure vs fast cure?

No. I’ve never seen the need. The first fast / dry cured crop I moved was sold to my regulars though, and both commented that the new strain was higher grade and more potent. It wasn’t a new strain, it was the same I’d always grown. I’d just fast cured the buds. When I told them it was still the same strain one guy just starting telling me that he was glad I’d clearly switched to organic!! So that said enough to me and it corroborated the prior research I did before making the change to my drying set up. Since then customers have consistently commented on the quality. I wasn't joking when I said I can’t meet the demand. Take that as you like. Understandably I’m kinda over this topic now.

Wikipedia is a great thing. Google scholar is my bible. For those who can keep an open mind, here's something you should read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Best of luck to all of you, I’ll see you guys elsewhere on the boards.

Over & out,

YS

suomynona

suomynona

@YarraSparra can you please send me a message so I can private message you

As long as people follow the rules, this thread won't be locked. Talking about trades in the open forum? BOUND to get it locked up. That was the issue with the old thread.
@delae632 locked the old thread due to high school type activity, trolling and general non sense. Who asked anyone for anything in that thread? Please back up that claim for the serious members here.

suomynona

suomynona

Hydroponics has been around since the. Gardens of babylon,and i'm sure the Romans had crude hydrosystems too,so that's a bit longer than 50 years,all the best,76
really @william76 ?? Usually I think you are thoughtful and careful with your posts, but was that worth typing? You know he meant modern hydroponics. And before you ask, yes this was worth typing.

Oldmanstoner

Oldmanstoner

@delae632 locked the old thread due to high school type activity, trolling and general non sense. Who asked anyone for anything in that thread? Please back up that claim for the serious members here.

It happened, an to be honest about it I am one of the guilty parties, my apologizes!

S

ssteely71

Who did that?

No. I’ve never seen the need. The first fast / dry cured crop I moved was sold to my regulars though, and both commented that the new strain was higher grade and more potent. It wasn’t a new strain, it was the same I’d always grown. I’d just fast cured the buds. When I told them it was still the same strain one guy just starting telling me that he was glad I’d clearly switched to organic!! So that said enough to me and it corroborated the prior research I did before making the change to my drying set up. Since then customers have consistently commented on the quality. I wasn't joking when I said I can’t meet the demand. Take that as you like. Understandably I’m kinda over this topic now.

Wikipedia is a great thing. Google scholar is my bible. For those who can keep an open mind, here's something you should read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Best of luck to all of you, I’ll see you guys elsewhere on the boards.

Over & out,

YS

I see that you left a cute little condescending wiki link. Is your PhD in research technology?

I was able to overlook your general better than thou attitude to some degree in the other thread but I've seen enough from you to speak my mind freely. @YarraSparra you are all filler and no substance.
You have fill threads with links on the topic of quick dry techniques and industrial practices information but offered no evidence that you have done any type of medical cannabis growing or processing yourself. Then you insert a link about confirmation bias and bring modern social psychology into the mix. How can YOU claim that we who don't believe in your method are selectively bias in interpreting the scientific facts? When in fact, YOU have offered none. Your link is an insult to intelligent individuals who have the real knowledge of cannabis and know fundamental truths your incapable of grasping in your role as soothsayer. I was fine with your spewing misinformation on medical cannabis but don't post links that imply that anyone that has disagreed with you is ignorant with little capacity for processing information.
Your true self is repugnant Yarra. How dare you insult these fine farmers who give freely and share openly despite legalities.

I hope that we DONT see you around the forums. Your NOT an asset to the community.
---

Ps. @otto Thanks for the links. I believe some of the processes could be used to help dry cannabis in high humidity regions.

K

kolah

Abel quote: I've had a read through your other thread Yarrasparra and have a question for you. Have you ever done your own double blind trials? Slow cure vs fast cure?

YS reply: No. I’ve never seen the need. The first fast / dry cured crop I moved was sold to my regulars though, and both commented that the new strain was higher grade and more potent. It wasn’t a new strain, it was the same I’d always grown. I’d just fast cured the buds. When I told them it was still the same strain one guy just starting telling me that he was glad I’d clearly switched to organic!! So that said enough to me and it corroborated the prior research I did before making the change to my drying set up. Since then customers have consistently commented on the quality. I wasn't joking when I said I can’t meet the demand. Take that as you like. Understandably I’m kinda over this topic now.------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huh? "never seen the need" ?? IMO, research/ science is often nice to have as "proof" but only if it is reliable, non-biased and void of conflicting interests. To me, the proof is in the pudding and a double blind study AND lab testing is a must for your claims. If you are so sure fast cure is so much better than slow curing then why not put it to the test? Any GOOD researcher would do this. I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful to you but only trying to get to the truth.

Bud sample testing with non-biased testers (judges) and lab testing ( for THC, CBD, terpenes, etc) would put this discussion to rest. It would bring one of three possibilities. Fast is better than slow, slow is better than fast or there is no difference. Why you would avoid doing this surely makes me question your expertise on this topic. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh. As I said in the locked-down thread I admire anyone who questions the norm but you'll have to dig a lot deeper to prove your theory.

and BTW, Wikipedia is NOT reliable nor accurate information when it comes to a topic and your claims such as this.

Last edited:
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
History of Hydroponics and Soil-less Gardening
While it's easy to imagine this kind of process being labeled as a bunch of new age science fiction, hydroponics has actually been in use for thousands of years. The famous Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, are largely believed to have functioned according to hydroponic principles. Built around 600 B.C. in Babylonia, or Mesopotamia, the gardens were situated along the Euphrates River. The area suffered from a dry, arid climate that rarely saw rain, and it's believed that the lush gardens were watered using a chain pull system, which carried water up from the river and allowed it to trickle down to each step or landing of the garden structure.

During the 10th and 11th centuries, the Aztecs developed a system of floating gardens based on hydroponics. Driven out of their land, they settled at Lake Tenochtitlan. Unable to grow crops on the lake's marshy shore, they built rafts out of reeds and roots. These rafts were topped with a bit of soil from the bottom of the lake, and then floated out to the center of the water. Crops would grow on top of the rafts, their roots reaching through the rafts and down into the water. Marco Polo's writings indicate he witnessed similar floating gardens while visiting China in the late 13th century
[source: Indianetzone.com].

Do doubt, those aztecs grew and smoked some bomb landrace..
not the watered down genetics we have now :)

K

kolah

Good post Ken, the Russet Wrangler. Americans Indians say all things go full circle. This is also true for many things.... as it's all been done before and something old is often resurrected and brought up as something new...."same car, new paint."

and round and round we go.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter

Curious as to why you tagged me in this post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom