Scotland

• Thread starter The hamster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The hamster

The hamster

Hi , calling in from bonnie Scotland . Been growing on and of for 20 years . As u will no has to be hydro here in this climate always used NFT. Having ok crops always using same nutrients and supplements . Would any one recommend using a different system or give me some extra info on nft thanks

The hamster

The hamster

The weather really dictates where I need to grow . Tried with soil but never had the success I’ve had with hydro , also had problems with pests growing in soil . But that is why I came on here , so people like urself can give me some advice thanks

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The weather really dictates where I need to grow . Tried with soil but never had the success I’ve had with hydro , also had problems with pests growing in soil . But that is why I came on here , so people like urself can give me some advice thanks
Welcome, I'm fairly new here as well. Good group here with lots of good info. I believe we have similar weather after all Nova Scotia Canada used to be called New Scotland. I use ProMix or similar peat based growing medium as do a lot of folks here. I've never tried hydro, it seems more advanced growing than my little brain can handle. Lots of help here though with hydro guys & gals lots of experience available to learn from.

The hamster

The hamster

Hi , hydro maybe sounds difficult but ones u try it I don’t think u would go back . Got 8 master kush going into 4th week of flowering all looking good . Will post a pic once I cut them . Are u growing in doors or out doors . Nice hearing from u

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi , hydro maybe sounds difficult but ones u try it I don’t think u would go back . Got 8 master kush going into 4th week of flowering all looking good . Will post a pic once I cut them . Are u growing in doors or out doors . Nice hearing from u
Indoors only a couple pics of my set up and a Cherry Bomb I've had growing for a while now. She's 2 weeks into flower

Seraphine

Seraphine

Have you tried coco coir? it’s treated like hydro but you plant in it like soil, same pH, nutrients, and similar yields but less of the hassle of growing in water.

The hamster

The hamster

They look lovely . I don’t have the space that u have so always growing from seed . Many times u nip the tops

The hamster

The hamster

I haven’t tried coco noir . Have grew in pearlite and vermiculite excuse my spelling a long time ago . Think I may give it a shot

The hamster

The hamster

Are use legal in Nova Scotia . We ain’t in Scotland , I haven’t grew for 3 years a nosey next door neighbour fired me in 3 years ago . Police knocked my door in took all my growing equipment and my babies . Moved house So just doing this grow quickly to try buy some better gear . Not long out hospital receiving a new shoulder . So haven’t been able to look after them as I would have liked . Never nipped them , just let them run wild , but they still look nice . Think I still have a bit to learn on some aspects but l am sure u and others will be able to help me out

41BC8CC4 797B 441E AE92 F69376410EBA
Seraphine

Seraphine

Coco is a nice medium to grow in because you don’t need the root space like you do in soil grows. In my opinion, coco works best with fabric pots. I use 1 gallon fabric pots and still get big plants with high yields.

The hamster

The hamster

Think I’m talking to someone else lol . No never tried it , but sounds like an idea to try next crop

Seraphine

Seraphine

Why does it not need the same root space as soil
Roots are able to uptake nutrients at a faster rate than in soil. This means faster growth/bigger plants in a shorter amount of time. Air to water ratio is also better in coco which is why you can feed at least daily without worry of root rot/over watering. With the addition of fabric pots or air pots (fabric is cheaper), your plants won’t get root bound with avoids stressed plants.

I prefer one gallon fabrics. 3 gallons would be max size for a smaller grow space.

The hamster

The hamster

Are u using clones or seeds . Would there be much of a difference in the veg and flowering stage times to hydro

Seraphine

Seraphine

I use both. I take my own cuttings. I can get my cuttings to root in less than a week. I guess it depends on how big your clones are. My cuttings are always about 4 or 5 inches so I don’t ever notice a difference in veg time when I start from seed or clone.

Seraphine

Seraphine

However, veg time in coco goes much faster than in soil because the plants grow faster in coco. I veg for a maximum of 5 or 6 weeks and my plants are over 2ft tall. They continue to grow another foot in flower (or two feet if they’re stativas).

The hamster

The hamster

One of the reasons I use hydro is I go to work for a week at a time and have to get my other half to just check on them , she doesn’t have much interest and my grow room is in attic so it’s not easy accessible. Had a look at those air pots really like the look of them. Do u water by hand or use a drip etc . Think I still have a lot to learn

Latest posts

Top Bottom