Scotty's 1st Grow w/ Girl Scout Cookies & more

• Thread starter Scotty420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scotty420

Scotty420

What's with the baked beans in the pan?

Also curious as to what it is that looks like frosting on top of your soil cup?

Mimosa cookies sounds good
LOL, the beans are actually aquarium gravel. One of the advantages of journaling on here is people will pop in & give you tips. @NorthernOrganics pointed out to me it's a good idea to put the cups up on a grate or some pebbles to keep them out of any runoff water & allow air underneath the cups.

The white stuff is mycorrhizae, apparently its a beneficial fungus they put in Happy Frog. (thanks to @CannaGranny & @NorthernOrganics for letting me know not to worry about it 😃)

And (I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not) I popped the other Mimosa Cookie seed over the weekend & it was coming up this morning.
20230227 075032

Mystery seed is definitely my best looking seedling so far, looking really good this morning.
20230227 074501

Last edited:
MDK

MDK

That's pretty genius with the pebbles...they do look like baked beans lmao

So I got a good buddy working at one of these grow facilities and they use great white mycorrhizae and he said one of the dehumidifiers went out over night and when they came into work the next day, the whole room was covered in the white frosting. That the mycorrhizae had basically swelled up in the high humidity and started feeding on the non beneficial bacteria...since you are at the high humidity stage makes sense to me

Not the whole room...but the pots...he said the main bosses weren't freaking out and in his mind he was like "fuck this weed is moldy and ruined". Amazing what the stuff does. Last time I really grew i had heard nothing of it

Scotty420

Scotty420

Mystery Seed opened up beautifully....

20230227 203215

And so did Mimosa Cookie #2

20230227 203231

Still nothing from the Girl Scout Cookies, kinda thinking it might not make it. Got the order from Greenpoint today, got 6 (actually 7 😎) for $14 plus like $5 shipping. So I dropped one Bananimal into a peroxide solution, hopefully will have it in dirt in a couple days.

Scotty420

Scotty420

Germinated the Bananimal seed the same way I did the rest (24 hr float in peroxide solution & 24 hrs in paper towel wetted with same solution) & this one is practically jumping out of the seed shell, interested to see how this one does.
20230301 210524

Scotty420

Scotty420

The Bananimal seed came up looking good with some decent sized true leaves already out.

20230304 192624

I'm pretty confident in my ability to germinate/sprout at this point, but I'm not sure I've figured out what to do when they break ground. It feels like they've all stalled. Almost all of them have been out of the ground a week now & they don't look much different than when they first sprouted. I took the bag off the Bananimal cup & it seemed to start wilting. (the Mimosa Cookie with the messed up cotyledon has been doing the same thing)

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I'm watering every couple days based on looking at the clear solo cups & seeing when they have little water left visible on the sides of the cup. Tent is holding 75-78 degrees with 70-72% RH. Possibly too much light. I've been turning them down & moving them up they've been at 30" at the minimum light setting for a couple days (level 1 0f 10 on controller 69) & I just moved it up as high as it will go so it's gotta be about 4 feet over the tops of the cups at this point. I'd almost be happy to see them get leggy as at least they would be growing.

20230305 084944
20230305 084954
20230305 085001
20230305 085016
20230305 085136
Last edited:
MDK

MDK

High humidity and light set real lower power wise...light height is important too...feeling out process with every light but maybe use youtube to see if any tutorials with shown results for your light can be found

Let the cup dry up a bit...just use a spray bottle to water...and do it very minimal

Scotty420

Scotty420

So I think were finally on track over here so just wanted to give an update. After several failed attempts at getting seedlings to grow I began to suspect my soil was an issue. I actually went to attempt a soil PH test & when I opened my soil tub it was straight mold. Got rid of the soil & cleaned the entire room with bleach water. Got a new bag of Happy Frog & planted 2 seeds. After just a couple days it was pretty obvious I had found my problem as they shot right up & pretty quickly started putting out leaves. Given that success I filled out the rest of my grow with the 6 more seeds I still had left.

So here's what we ended up running with:

2- Bananimal (Banana Kush x Animal Cookies) (fem) from Greenpoint https://greenpointseeds.com/bananimal-feminized-seeds/

And the rest are from freebie tester packs @MEGA956 sent me because he's awesome 😀

4- Sour Triangle Market (Sour Diesel x Triangle Market) (reg) not sure the breeder on that one

2- Soap S7 x Lemon Snow Cone (reg) from Seeds of Love which I have started calling Lemon Soap

Plant 1
Plant 4

So the two biggest were planted 2 weeks ago tomorrow, the rest 5 days later. The bigger ones are starting to need water more frequently & when I went to water them this morning I noticed this:
Plant 2
Plant 3

So I'm thinking I'm going to let these 2 dry back for a couple more days & transplant this weekend. My plan is to move them into 1/4 gallon biodegradable grow bags for a few weeks & the bags can be planted directly into the final pot once they start to outgrow them so I don't have to transplant again.

Pretty excited to finally make some progress. Thanks again to everyone who's helped along the way, I'm sure I'm going to need a lot more, lol.

MDK

MDK

Nice man, off to the races i was kinda wondering what was up with it I knew we both joined around same time.

That'd be something if that bananimal tastes like banana for real, they all sound interesting! And man wack soil....unnn...but onward upward!

Scotty420

Scotty420

Up potted the 1st 2, just a little droopy but otherwise looking OK. Going to leave them on the floor until tomorrow to give them a little less intense light while they recover.
Thumbnail 1

Other plants still growing I watered one tray tonight & it had some seriously long roots already starting to air prune themselves. Thinking I'm going to let them all dry back & move them to the bags on Sunday.

Thumbnail

Scotty420

Scotty420

Everyone made it into their new homes & seem to have recovered nicely. Had to rearrange the tent and get rid of the table since they wouldn't fit on it anymore. Dropped the 2 100 watt lights down to 20" over the bigger plants at 70%. 5 bladed leaves coming in on the older ones.
20230501 083120

Latest posts

Top Bottom