Screwed By Family

• Thread starter BigPunkin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigPunkin

BigPunkin

We owned our own home on family own land. I've been here for 35 years and my grandpa has been here all his life, and my grandma has been here all of her married life to my grandpa.

In 2015 the owners of the land passed away, and his kids decided they did not want the land thats been in the family for over 100 years, and they decided to sell it to a developer for 9.4 million.

Well knowing we had no money to our names, and we basically made this property what it was, and lived off/worked the land, they told us all not to worry about anything that they were going to take care of us all and buy us a new place.

Nov 2016 they showed us a place on 9 acres that had 3 homes on the land.

March 6th 2017 they came here and had us sign the papers saying we'll be moved by the 16th. Their reason was because they buyer wanted everyone on the property before he released the funds.

March 7th the property officially closed.

March 10th 2017 they called and said that the place they was buying for us, the brother backed out and didn't want to sell now, but they quickly found a new place and sent the pics of an old run down 1br 1 ba home with a sagging roof. Needless to say i was extremely pissed, because i said from the beginning that they was going to pull a bait & switch! We told them just to give us the money and we would go rent a place.

Without the money, we couldn't pay the application fees in that short amount of time - especially now. From my grandmother having lung cancer and lymphoma, to my dad just recently passing away and having to scrape of enough money to have him cremated.

March 12 2017 they brought over checks for 10k. But it was on a Sunday, so we had to wait to Monday the 13th to get them cashed.

We got the checks cashed and money put into the bank, i went home and filled out all our information, paid the $200 app fee, and now were waiting for them to process the application, and that takes 2 business days.

March 14th 2017 at 8am they called and asked did we rent the place, and if where going to be moved out by the 15th.

Like how are we supposed to rent a home and move 40+ years of belongings in 2 days. Top it off, my mom husband is having surgery this morning to have a lung removed due to cancer, and he can't help move, so it's just me, by myself do it all.

We was supposed to be moved by today, and it's not our fault that YOU led us on since 2015 that YOU were taking care of everything, and at 0 hour, you said oops sorry, take this unsanitary, unsafe, 1br home for an elderly person with breathing problems!

Still haven't heard back from the rental agency. I've called several times and it goes to voice mail. On their live chat they told me they are experiencing delays in processing due to high volume of applicants.
We owned our own homes, that we had to forfeit.

Great Granny was right, family will stab you in the back quicker then your enemy.

They knew we could have stopped the sale dead in it's tracks, but we didn't. There is about 3 dozen old cars, bunch of stumps and trees that was pushed in to a 20ft w x 188 l yard ditch then back field with dirt. NO Way can they put homes on top of that. When they start grading, they will find them, and they will be super pissed when they do find them, because all that shit is going to have to come out, then back field properly.

Sorry i had to blow off some steam. Back to work packing before the sheriff come out here to throws my elderly grandparents on the streets.

Last edited:
Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
First thing: you have a minimum of 60 days if you have lived there for more than 1 year in California. Check into that.

Second, you rented this house, and they are giving you 10k to move out? Seems like a dream, what am I missing? You think it's the rental companies responsibility to find and buy you a home based off what exactly?

BigPunkin

BigPunkin

First thing: you have a minimum of 60 days if you have lived there for more than 1 year in California. Check into that.

Second, you rented this house, and they are giving you 10k to move out? Seems like a dream, what am I missing? You think it's the rental companies responsibility to find and buy you a home based off what exactly?

No, we owned our own homes, the land they sit on we don't. No one expected this land to ever been sold due to the history behind it and how long it's been in our family.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
What state are you in?
What proof do you have that said home(s) is yours?

I am not a lawyer, but after a certain amount of time things get grandfathered in. For example, if my neighbor digs a trench and has a pipe or waterway from my river, I have 5 years to get it off my property. After that, it's grandfathered in somehow. Very vague I know, but not a lawyer here.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
My point being, if you house has been there and grandfathered in, they can't sell it. It's now yours, and the land it sits on.

Look into it, I wish I knew the name of the legal term for you......

Freshone

Freshone

It's called being grandfathered in but it depends on the states law's.10 GS to lose your homes when they got 9.4 mil?Something's not right.

Blaze

Blaze

Squatters Rights. You live there long enough, and make the tax payments, you can end up owning the property (at least in CA).

You absolutely need to contact an attorney who specializes in this.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Squatters Rights. You live there long enough, and make the tax payments, you can end up owning the property (at least in CA).

You absolutely need to contact an attorney who specializes in this.

Yup, there it is. Thanks @Blaze
Hope this helps you out.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
How do you own the home but not the land it sits on? How much did you pay for the home?

Top Bottom