Sealed room- Purple stems, minor canoeing & unknown issue!

• Thread starter Tomfw1986
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tomfw1986

Tomfw1986

Hi,

New to this forum, plenty of good information but I have a problem I simply can not resolve.

Sealed room - 1000w Dimlux x 3 - Opticlimate - CO2 added - Coco medium - hand fed - Advanced Nutrients - Temp 26/27 - RH 65-75%

The moment I move my seedlings/small plants into this sealed room. The stems turn purple, minor canoeing & what I think looks like Mg deficiency starts. And I’ve never been able to resolve it!

I sometimes I feel I don’t feed/water them often enough in coco - could this potentially cause these problems? Done plenty of reading re: coco and I have been treating it a bit like soil!

This is my first sealed room as well, so possibly I’m missing something?

I will add I didn’t have the Co2 on in veg and it was around 280PPM when the plants were first introduced into the room. Since turning the co2 on, they’re started growing much better but still showing this issues, altho some of the purpling of the stem is returning green since the input of CO2

Lights are at 600w currently and approx 40 inch away from top of plant.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Sealed room  purple stems minor canoeing  unknown issue
Sealed room  purple stems minor canoeing  unknown issue 2
Sealed room  purple stems minor canoeing  unknown issue 3
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Canoeing is from too much heat or light and yes, that's a Mg deficiency (or lockout). How close is that light?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I've never grown in coco. In soil, I would check the pH before adding more Mg. If you've been adding Cal/Mag, you might want to try just epsom salts for a feeding.

The deficiency symptom in the affected leaves will never go away. you know it's fixed when the next sets of leaves don't get the symptom.

Tomfw1986

Tomfw1986

In your opening post you admit your treating the coco more like soil- huge problem you need multiple fertigations with nutes no dry back
Yes I have done - used soil plenty of times and moved onto coco now. Sometimes very cautious with smaller plants / seedlings and after transplanting with the feeding

so even with freshly transplanted plants, keep the coco saturated is ok?

Is it even possible to over water with coco?

thank you your replies

Moshmen

Moshmen

Yes I have done - used soil plenty of times and moved onto coco now. Sometimes very cautious with smaller plants / seedlings and after transplanting with the feeding

thank you your replies
I’m not an experienced coco grower but from what’s the experts say it’s really hard to overwater! Dry back is bad though and creates build up/ lockout/deficiency

Sunzan710

Sunzan710

Spray them with some epsom salt. 1 tbls per 4 liters of water. Will fix that mag deficiency immediately. When I ran coco drain to waste sometimes the coco wouldn’t dry out that well depending on the brand so I started doing a 50/50 perlite mix and noticed a huge difference with the plants drying out

Unklefrosty

Unklefrosty

thank you your replies
Hey brother.

Coco doesn't act like soil at all. It needs to stay above 75% saturation at all times. Dry back can be used but only to minimum 75% water content.

yes you can overwater in coco. Not so much the amount of water as it's the frequency of the waterings.

Start watering your coco half the amount you would add on a days watering 2 times a day. 1-2 hours after lights on and 1-2 hours before lights off. You can raise the amount of water you give them as they grow or start drinking more and frequency to 3-4 times a day in late flower but in veg 2 times a day should be sufficient.
Move your light up a bit more. (If you can read the PPFD and set it to around 500-600)
Run your Co2 to match your ppfd around 600ppms for veg and around 1200 in flower.
I would also suggest adding 30% perlite to your coco for drainage and water retention.

It's all about fine tuning my friend and finding what works for you. The above suggestions will help you and IMO this issue you're experiencing is probably too much light, not enough C02 for a sealed room and not enough feed frequency.

Hope this helps.

Unklefrosty

Unklefrosty

What kinda of problems will come from coco drying out?
High EC at the rootzone due to salt build up from evaporation. Causing root burn and nutrient burn in you leaves.
Wild pH swings. Causing nute lockout and deficiency.

Unklefrosty

Unklefrosty

I’m not an experienced coco grower but from what’s the experts say it’s really hard to overwater! Dry back is bad though and creates build up/ lockout/deficiency
hello bro

Overwatering is possible if using perlite due to it's moisture retention. Dry backs can be used just not to the extent of soil dry backs. Shooting for around 75% Water content before next watering is plenty to balance root growth and saturation.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

The leaves are definitely not Transpiring enough and I think you have a problem somewhere at the roots as well as if it's too wet or cold and damp I'd trying bringing humidity down just to see the reaction. Are you sure there not root bound might also be you don't have enough perlite in the soil and it's hard for air to get to the root zone

Latest posts

Top Bottom