Searching for classic Hawaiian

• Thread starter growsince79
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

Does anyone know if the old landrace Hawaiian sativa still exist? If not, what is the closest strain available in seed?

Terpz719

Terpz719

You could check out Cherry Bomb (Maui Wowie IBL) from Swami Organic Seeds. Interesting story / history taking it at face value.

This is one I grew - right before chop at the end of week 11. Lots of stretch - went from 19" to 50". Nice up high, not strong. I'd guess about 12% THC. It was my first grow, made lots of mistakes, so it probably will do better than that. I may have waited a little too long before harvest allowing some of the THC to degrade. I'm eager to see I how do with it next time.

IMG 0585

growsince79

growsince79

Interesting but not what I'm looking for. The Hawaiian I used to get from 79-82 was better than anything I can find today. Are those genetics gone forever?

Formallyhap

Formallyhap

there is a cut in boulder they call maui, everything I have learned about it indicates it's "hawaiian sativa" from a seedbank that is long gone, but sourced from hawaiian landraces.

It's really strong and has a very unique smell with hints of sour.
I haven't seen the cut since I moved back in 2014.i know its out there.
It was fantastic stuff but I had trouble moving it in retail(I was a wholesaler) because it was very sativa and the buds were airy and not what most people think good weed looks like.

Last edited:
Terpz719

Terpz719

Interesting but not what I'm looking for. The Hawaiian I used to get from 79-82 was better than anything I can find today. Are those genetics gone forever?
Ironically this is from 1979 - "from original Mr Greengenes 1979 MauiWowie IBL". Guess you were looking for a different 1979 LOL.

Terpz719

Terpz719

there is a cut in boulder they call maui, everything I have learned about it indicates it's "hawaiian sativa" from a seedbank that is long gone, but sourced from hawaiian landraces.

It's really strong and has a very unique smell with hints of sour.
I haven't seen the cut since I moved back in 2014.i know its out there.
It was fantastic stuff but I had trouble moving it in retail(I was a wholesaler) because it was very sativa and the buds were airy and not what most people think good weed looks like.
Since 2014 I tried about every sample of Hawaiian and Columbian in the greater Denver area, but found nothing like I was looking for either. In both cases I think it was just another cross like Maui Haze or Maui Kush... I had always assumed the Maui Wowie I had decades ago was a landrace too, but it was a hybrid created by the BOEL with HOG x Afghani.

growsince79

growsince79

People can call anything whatever they want. The Hawaiian I'm talking about was pure sativa probably Thai genetics. It was tough to grow. Took 12-13 weeks to bud, but made better buds than the Colombian Gold which was basicly impossibe to grow solid buds indoors. I flowered one 17 weeks and harvested loose buds that were almost hallucinogenic. The next one I grew came from a seed in a bag bought from a friend who smuggled it from the big Island. It took 13 weeks and was loose but denser than the Colombian. The smoke was better than anything i've ever seen. Thats what I want.

growsince79

growsince79

Ironically this is from 1979 - "from original Mr Greengenes 1979 MauiWowie IBL". Guess you were looking for a different 1979 LOL.
I was smoking and growing in Oregon in 79. Where were you? I know my cousins lived in Florida and had totally different weed.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

People can call anything whatever they want. The Hawaiian I'm talking about was pure sativa probably Thai genetics. It was tough to grow. Took 12-13 weeks to bud, but made better buds than the Colombian Gold which was basicly impossibe to grow solid buds indoors. I flowered one 17 weeks and harvested loose buds that were almost hallucinogenic. The next one I grew came from a seed in a bag bought from a friend who smuggled it from the big Island. It took 13 weeks and was loose but denser than the Colombian. The smoke was better than anything i've ever seen. Thats what I want.

In the 80’s we could get Maui Wowie that was from hawaii (along with some other imports) and it fit your description perfectly. Tasted better than anything i remember too. And was very trippy with sight and sounds.

dire wolf

dire wolf

You could check out Cherry Bomb (Maui Wowie IBL) from Swami Organic Seeds. Interesting story / history taking it at face value.

This is one I grew - right before chop at the end of week 11. Lots of stretch - went from 19" to 50". Nice up high, not strong. I'd guess about 12% THC. It was my first grow, made lots of mistakes, so it probably will do better than that. I may have waited a little too long before harvest allowing some of the THC to degrade. I'm eager to see I how do with it next time.

View attachment 957121

View attachment 957121
Hey terpz , nice work !!

zzzybil

zzzybil

blue hawaian by jordan of the isles - can't remember who had it - just remember a sativa and sounded delicious.........

Terpz719

Terpz719

I was smoking and growing in Oregon in 79. Where were you? I know my cousins lived in Florida and had totally different weed.
Don't know what Oregon has to do with it, but good luck on your search.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

blue hawaian by jordan of the isles - can't remember who had it - just remember a sativa and sounded delicious.........

Here you go...

Davil

Davil

Does anyone know if the old landrace Hawaiian sativa still exist? If not, what is the closest strain available in seed?
Hey lo,I grew on the jungle side of Maui for years&collected only the most unbelievable strains and brought em back w me to the mainland.its unfortunate,but its just not possible to grow Hawaiian that grows true unless your in the islands.Not trying to be a killjoy.just be aware of your expectations.good luck to you.hope you find everything you seek.peace.

growsince79

growsince79

Hey lo,I grew on the jungle side of Maui for years&collected only the most unbelievable strains and brought em back w me to the mainland.its unfortunate,but its just not possible to grow Hawaiian that grows true unless your in the islands.Not trying to be a killjoy.just be aware of your expectations.good luck to you.hope you find everything you seek.peace.
I agree it's not suitible for indoor or even outdoor where I live. I want to use it for breeding.

Top Bottom