Security Cameras

• Thread starter Animal Chin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Hey everyone

I'm upgrading my cameras and want some suggestions on what I should get. I'm pretty happy with my set up but I'm open to any suggestions. I'm using hard wired and wireless cams. All have night vision and all have battery back up incase the powers cut and they are all recorded to an offsite server.

I don't have any sensors yet but I'd like some so if you use them let me know what you think.

Does anyone else use cameras inside as well as outside?

The main question I have is does anyone use the alarm that notifies you via cell phone? I believe you can see what your cameras see through your phone? This is the upgrade I want :D

Natural

Natural

bump.
I'd spend more on fortifications if possible..dogs..window bars etc...maybe even one of those make ya puke alarms. I've never known anyone to exactly recognize a hooded rat thief cockroach from cams. Of course seeing what is going on would be nice if you could get there pretty quick.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
I used a logitech alert at my last place, it worked great.
theres an iphone app for it so I had one point at a thermometer and tri meter on my res.
the other pointed on my driveway.
made being away much easier on the nerves.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

bump.
I'd spend more on fortifications if possible..dogs..window bars etc...maybe even one of those make ya puke alarms. I've never known anyone to exactly recognize a hooded rat thief cockroach from cams. Of course seeing what is going on would be nice if you could get there pretty quick.
The point isn't to identify them, the point is for you or somone else to be there when they try leaving!......Take it easy.....lol just read the last sentence

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
bump.

I agree I do the same I've got dogs and screwed shut windows and all that. The best thing going for me is location because I've been here 10 years and all the neighbors know each other...shit I'm even on neighborhood watch lol. We used to have a problem with peeping toms and car thiefs but a few wireless cameras took care of that. You'll be amazed at what a few dozen printed pictures can do regardless of the hood. For instance this peeping tom would masterbate outside of a couple of my Asians neighbors houses kitchen windows...if he saw an Asian lady and she was washing dishes he would pull out his dick right in front of her. It happened three times and twice the girl was under age. All we knew was that he had shaggy blonde hair and wore a chefs jacket so I caught this fool on tape walking down the alley one day and we printed up some pics and put them up on telephone poles and that was the end of that.

As far as alarms...I like silent ones. I'd rather handle the problem myself. I'm not looking to attract the police. I've got dogs and I've got signs letting them know their on camera so if they still feel froggy then their just asking for trouble.

I also run a construction company out of my property so I've had security dialed in for years. I've had my truck broken into twice and I haven't lost a thing yet.

I honestly think my best safe guard besides my dogs are my neighbors. That's the only thing good about the city is it provides fortress cover. I'm on an R3 lot so all the neighbors have built multiple rental units on their property so my back yard has 9 separate units looking down on it. It sucks as far as privacy but if your friends with the neighbors then its about the best security you could have.

I used a logitech alert at my last place, it worked great.
theres an iphone app for it so I had one point at a thermometer and tri meter on my res.
the other pointed on my driveway.
made being away much easier on the nerves.

That's something like I want. Right now I've got a wireless system for checking gauges but it doesn't have a camera. Three times though I've discovered problems through wireless gauges so those things rock. I never go away without leaving someone here unless its for a few hours or less. If I'm away overnight someone is here regardless because I've got animals that need to be cared for.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Btw don't forget to run your cameras on battery backup because all someone has to do is shut off your power. Put a camera on your panel and have the feed stored offsite.

It's good for the lawyer if you ever get raided as well...if your legal that is :D

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

^ This is the straight scimpy on the video camera do's and don'ts,well i guess really just do's; this thread needs to be stickied or whatever in the security section for sure....and if your not legal it's still good for the lawyer:D; woop, case dismissed no proof of a search warrent upon entry; knock on wood. haha Take it easy

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
^ This is the straight scimpy on the video camera do's and don'ts,well i guess really just do's; this thread needs to be stickied or whatever in the security section for sure....and if your not legal it's still good for the lawyer:D; woop, case dismissed no proof of a search warrent upon entry; knock on wood. haha Take it easy
Security section??? Whoops...hopefully a mod can move it if need be

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Well here's another "do" for you...hide your cameras. It helps against counter surveillance. Also if your serious about it then wireless battery operated cameras in trees are the shit because then youve got the approach recorded as well.

Unfortunately this shit comes with the territory so if your gonna play ball then cover your ass. You'll feel like a tweeker at first and I still hate that part of it but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

We're using wireless cams exclusively rigged w/ IR "night vision" as well. They all are monitored using a Linux based application called Zoneminder. With this app I can easily set up areas within the field of view that will trigger an alarm if anything moves within it. Additionally, I can set the sensitivity. The app can be configured to generate and send emails and phone calls. The app can be run remotely where I can monitor all cameras in the system.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Dan, our cameras are run using software that creates the alarm. I'd have to let Dave explain how he's got it set up.
We're using wireless cams exclusively rigged w/ IR "night vision" as well. They all are monitored using a Linux based application called Zoneminder. With this app I can easily set up areas within the field of view that will trigger an alarm if anything moves within it. Additionally, I can set the sensitivity. The app can be configured to generate and send emails and phone calls. The app can be run remotely where I can monitor all cameras in the system.

Very nice!!!

Hey Seamaiden can you move this to the security section? Sorry I didn't know there was such a section. Thank you.

sixstring

sixstring

I use an 8 cam system from costco, q-see is the brand.but all cams have alarms you can set and you can adjust the sensitivity so birds dont set them off and also adjust what part of the field of view is under alarm.they will text me if alarm goes off and tell me what cam goes off.then I can just pull up that cam and have a look from my droid of any computer on the net.the night vision on my cams is rated at 50 feet but I can see clearly to 100, good cams in my book. Its nice being able to check temps on really hot days from 300 miles away.then just call the sitter and tell em to make a change.i wanna say I paid 550.00 for mine but now they offer a 16 cam for around the same price.i think the video surveillance sign and porch cam is a good deterrent for the fuzz bustin my door in to.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
I use an 8 cam system from costco, q-see is the brand.but all cams have alarms you can set and you can adjust the sensitivity so birds dont set them off and also adjust what part of the field of view is under alarm.they will text me if alarm goes off and tell me what cam goes off.then I can just pull up that cam and have a look from my droid of any computer on the net.the night vision on my cams is rated at 50 feet but I can see clearly to 100, good cams in my book. Its nice being able to check temps on really hot days from 300 miles away.then just call the sitter and tell em to make a change.i wanna say I paid 550.00 for mine but now they offer a 16 cam for around the same price.i think the video surveillance sign and porch cam is a good deterrent for the fuzz bustin my door in to.
I have this system as well. I like it. Does yours use a PC Card? I've had it for years and pieced it together. I'm looking to upgrade it or at least the software. I'm going to look into the system pine grove Dave has. I like that it runs on Linux.

sixstring

sixstring

Mine has its own dvr and hooks direct to my ethernet connection. So no card needed.the hd can hold 28 days of all 8 cams recording 24/7.if I get an alert I can log on with my droid and start reconding to phone until my 16 gig card is full.or my wifes laptop.so if somebody managed to get in and disarm or steal the dvr I would still have images or vid untill they pull the plug.my 4 most important cams send a pic automatically when an alarm first activates.only thing I dont like is all the damn updates they send out for the mobile devices, gotta stay on that shit or you have problems logging in.

Top Bottom