Security Cameras

• Thread starter Animal Chin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cort

Cort

I been out of the surveillance game for a while, so I am rusty as hell on the tech for the last for years but....

There is a big trade off between 3 points of a camera system. Higher quality video makes IDing suspects easier (think of that grainy convenience store image the news shows) but higher the quality image the more the camera costs and the more storage space you need. More and bigger dvrs can get spendy.With no budget you could set up movie quality HD cameras all over your home like the "Real World" tv show.

Remember to light up critical points with additional IR lighting. You can use supplement IR lights near gates, doors ect.. Any point where the suspect has to cross or spend time. More light means a better picture. Light in the right places means his hoodie aint hiding as much as he thinks.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Mine has its own dvr and hooks direct to my ethernet connection. So no card needed.the hd can hold 28 days of all 8 cams recording 24/7.if I get an alert I can log on with my droid and start reconding to phone until my 16 gig card is full.or my wifes laptop.so if somebody managed to get in and disarm or steal the dvr I would still have images or vid untill they pull the plug.my 4 most important cams send a pic automatically when an alarm first activates.only thing I dont like is all the damn updates they send out for the mobile devices, gotta stay on that shit or you have problems logging in.

Thanks! Mine doesn't even have that option lol but I pieced it together a decade ago at Frys. Did we have phones a decade ago lol? I'm gonna contact them and see if I can get the new software for free. My dad has the qSee with the DVR I need to read his book and see if his can do that. My dad did get robbed and it was by a so called friend. She was stealing his meds and she was in medical school. She threw her whole career away so her boyfriend could get high.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Can a hacker tap in2 the cameras & see what's going on?
Great question Goo and the answer is yes. Especially the wireless cameras because all you would have to do is steal the signal vs hacking the PC. My wireless cams are only used on my parameter so they can look all they want. The PC can still be hacked but certainly not as easily especially today with all the security out there. That being said someone highly skilled like for instance someone from the hacking group "anonymous" could get in pretty much anywhere. I dont see why someone that skilled would waste their time on us. Thats another reason why I like systems that run on Linux ...much safer and secure

Cort

Cort

Anything you transmit via wireless network or over the internet can be hacked.

Its yet another trade off. Ease of viewing for you (cellphone or other pc access) vs security of a hard wired closed system. One costs more to buy, one could possibly cost more to install.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Alright already ill quit masturbating in front of you guys kitchen windows,jeez cameras everywhere nowadays,and its not just asians dan im equal opportunity just wait till your doing dishes next time...

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Alright already ill quit masturbating in front of you guys kitchen windows,jeez cameras everywhere nowadays,and its not just asians dan im equal opportunity just wait till your doing dishes next time...

Hurry squirt some soap.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

My dad did get robbed and it was by a so called friend. She was stealing his meds and she was in medical school. She threw her whole career away so her boyfriend could get high.
Friday evening my boy and i went to visit a grower friend/customer,he has this cut of some kind of cheese that is super dank and we trade once in awhile,anyways he was super bummed and a little embarassed because he had been having some problems getting ripped here and there so he put up some cams and caught his brother in law doing the ripping!His own family,bummer.I have had cams for years but they are just one tool,i still say the best security is not letting anyone know whats up in the first place!

sixstring

sixstring

Anything you transmit via wireless network or over the internet can be hacked.

Its yet another trade off. Ease of viewing for you (cellphone or other pc access) vs security of a hard wired closed system. One costs more to buy, one could possibly cost more to install.
this system im running is not wireless,but yeah anthing computer and internet related can be hacked by hackers and the fuzz.but im legal so i dont really care if they look in on my rooms i have nothing to hide and always way under my limits.i would think those wireless cams would be super easy to jam if not hack into.all im hoping for is some extra notice as far is security but i installed my system to be able to look in while im away and make sure people do what i told em to do and when i told em to do it lol.just keeps the honest folks honest,real criminals will always find a way ;)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I just realized, dan, that we have that same light fixture (that Dave's supposed to put in the kitchen), but in the bronze finish. :D

He and I used to correspond with a fellow who's a locksmith, he had/has lots of advice on locks, doors, safes, and security. LOTS. Been a while since we've corresponded with gottaknow.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
I just realized, dan, that we have that same light fixture (that Dave's supposed to put in the kitchen), but in the bronze finish. :D

He and I used to correspond with a fellow who's a locksmith, he had/has lots of advice on locks, doors, safes, and security. LOTS. Been a while since we've corresponded with gottaknow.

Sea don't forget to have him hang the Iron Maiden skateboard decks lol.

HighBurn8

HighBurn8

We're using wireless cams exclusively rigged w/ IR "night vision" as well. They all are monitored using a Linux based application called Zoneminder. With this app I can easily set up areas within the field of view that will trigger an alarm if anything moves within it. Additionally, I can set the sensitivity. The app can be configured to generate and send emails and phone calls. The app can be run remotely where I can monitor all cameras in the system.

Hi Sea & Dave, we're looking into getting a new wireless cam system and have a couple of Q's for ya.

Did you have to pay for your Zoneminder App?
And also, is it compatible with iMac/iphone?

We both have iMac's but I actually own a Droid Phone but my GF has an iPhone.

TIA, H8

Top Bottom