Security Cameras

• Thread starter Animal Chin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ZONER

ZONER

Also interested in applying a camera system but am located in the hills with no wifi and little cell phone signal, any ideas on how to create a hot spot?
Hey GR33NL3AF,
Did you think about satellite Internet? After you get it purchase a "Magic Jack" phone kit $40.00 a year and you can use any area code and number and now it plugs directly into the router with an adapter then plug in a phone .... Cordless works.

Also get a deep cell battery with an inverter so if you loose power you can keep the satellite Internet up and still be able to make calls with the "Magic Jack" phone, I use one where I am because I have a crap cell signal. Can't beat a $40.00 per year local and long distance phone bill.

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

Also interested in applying a camera system but am located in the hills with no wifi and little cell phone signal, any ideas on how to create a hot spot?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you don't want a "hot spot", you want an AP (Access Point). Hot spots are gateways that grant access to the internet and are found all over nowadays. You're looking to install an AP where the cameras can "attach" to via wireless and you can monitor remote locations.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

If I'm understanding you correctly, you don't want a "hot spot", you want an AP (Access Point). Hot spots are gateways that grant access to the internet and are found all over nowadays. You're looking to install an AP where the cameras can "attach" to via wireless and you can monitor remote locations.

That's it!

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

That's it!
OK, well if this is the case, an AP can be purchased at any Staples/Best Buy or online electronics shop. That being said though, if you're looking to provide connectivity to outdoor cameras I would not recommend one of these "consumer class" devices as they're generally designed to operate indoors and have limited features and power. A carrier class AP mounted outside w/ a nice omni antenna should suffice provided all cameras are say within 1/2 mile of the AP. A carrier class AP can be built for as little as $200 dollars and will paint quite a substantial "footprint".

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

Hey GR33NL3AF,
Did you think about satellite Internet?
Unless it's the only game in town, I'd shy away from satellite. Many providers have data caps where once you hit your monthly allotment, you're cut off until the next month or you call in and pay more to have your service reinstated. There's also latency issues with services that are "time sensitive". I compete against satellite providers all the time and have never had a problem taking business from them.

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

I'd like to also add that this year I've opted to try a new software surveillance app. It cost me only $45 dollars (it's not free like Zoneminder) and is extremely feature rich. It supports up to 64 cameras and has so far been rock solid. Another nice feature I like that Zoneminder does not have is a "watchdog" feature where if a particular camera goes "offline" (ie...power is cut or signal is jammed), it triggers an alarm.

J

jacob90

Hey everyone, I want to install a surveillance system for my office. I would like some sensible suggestions as I earlier read this thread and it seemed like most people are experienced as compared to me. I want a camera for a 360 degree view and with which I can track it on my MAC. Some friends of mine have suggested IP cameras, some were talking about DVR systems. I would want few suggestions from you people. Thank you in advance :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom