Seed germ' in rockwool

• Thread starter cantsmokethat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cantsmokethat

hi all, seeds have been in cubes for 3 days in a x- steam aero propagator what will i see first roots or tops ? and am i right in thinking that i put lights on when i see it poking out the top (sure theirs a better way to put that but u know what i mean) thanks in add,,

hubcap

hubcap

depends how deep the rockwool cubes are and how deep you planted the seed, but, more often than not, youll see the cotyledons (or leafs) before youll see the roots 'pokin out' of the cubes from the bottom.

C

cantsmokethat

cheers dude, 5th day and two out of five have sproted another two have roots pokin out the side nothing with last one yet. these were fem seeds and buried about 1/2" deep. i just put them in pre soaked r/wool cubes (didnt do the water thing) also didnt take any notice of way they went in. this is my first grow so i know nothing but love learning any tips advice info or money will be greatly recevied... thanks again..

hubcap

hubcap

k.
just be patient and let them do their thing.
just make sure rockwool isnt SOAKED...just damp..and if itll happen...itll happen.

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Hi CST- I am a newbie too, just into my first hydro flower. Take hubcaps advice very serously, the blocks need to be damp, not wet!

Yes, you can start light on cubes that have poked out the top of cube.

Check out my thread on germ for my little home test on different germ techniques.

Any other questions let us know.

JB

C

cantsmokethat

yeah i think it may be too late they seem too long still uprigth but think they may be to weak but fingers crossed as for light i didnt think u needed till first leafs show ??

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
I dont think light early will do any harm. I started a couple seeds in big holes with roots exposed to lights for couple weeks and they turned out just as well as other. Just remember to keep the lights as close to seedlings as possible to help avoid stretch. If you need to try raising the cubes in the tray so they are as close to the dome as possible.

When the dome comes off get a weal occilating fan on them and that will help strengthen the stems.

My first go i did not believe raising the cubes in the tray was nesseccary, but difference between light being 4 inches away and 2 inches away is significant.

I also believe that not using any nutrients till pre leaves open is way to go. And I highly suggest next time you try paper towel method rather than straight into cubes.

Another thing you can try next time if these dont go well is Oasis Cubes. I found them to be a little more idiot proof than rockwool cubes and I was really happy with results. I think this oasis foam hold more oxygen than the rockwool and give quicker results.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
I pop all my seeds in rockwool. I put them in a shot glass of water for 6-8 hours then wrap them up nicley in a papper towel that has been wet with warm water. What i do 1st is before i soak the cube is cut a corner off with scissors then let the cube soak for a few hours. When the seeds have poped and the tail is about 1/4 inch long i stick it into the cube 1/4 inch deep. I then take the piece of cube that i cut off earlier and wet it an use it to cover the hole. Then i put them under a light roughly 4 inches from it. I keep them in the cubes untill the roots are showing then transplant into my soil.

While the seeds are in the papper towel i stick that into an old DVD case and close it. Rest it on top of my ballest or your cable box just to warm it up a lil.

T

Tuggo

I also germ in rockwool. It's only as hard as you make it. Once you get the hang of it you'll find no need for any other method(IMHO). Like hubcap said, keep the cubes moist not soaked, other than that ph the water, add a touch of nutes(optional), watch temps & humidity, keep light as close as possible, and they pretty much do the rest on their own.

T

Tuggo

I also germ in rockwool. It's only as hard as you make it. Once you get the hang of it you'll find no need for any other method(IMHO). Like hubcap said, keep the cubes moist not soaked, other than that ph the water, add a touch of nutes(optional), watch temps & humidity, keep light as close as possible, and they pretty much do the rest on their own.

F

FastForward

Cantsmokethat - I wouldn't recommend germing in the propagator itself personally, but if you are going to, make sure your sprayers are on a timer and not on permanently. It will waterlog the rockwool and probably kill the beans.

A few pointers, seeing as it's your first grow (stuff I learned the hard way):

- don't use excellent beans for your first time - use bagseed to practice germination
- I prefer germining directly into coco - easy, effective, cheap (use coco jiffys for an aero cloner)
- Alternatively, germ in tissue paper and then move into rockwool and into your aero prop and then run the sprayers once a day for 15 minutes until roots have appeared outside the rw, then you can up the timing to 3x a day and then full time.

Plenty of good germination info here...the search button and the GrowFAQ are your friends. Welcome to the Farm :rastadancing: :)

N

Nuglover

Pointy end down in Rapid Rooters...Just germed 15 out of 15. I always had trouble germin' seeds, clones were no problem but seeds always gave me fits. Since I've used Rapid Rooters, my germ rate is nearly 100%(the ones that didn't pop were old seeds). I do it like Sub does, turn em over...poke hole in bottom...insert seed pointed end down...keep moist. !DON"T FORGET TO LABEL!(made that mistake once,won't make it again)

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
why add cal-mag Lil? I am very new, so still learning, but from my research and limited experience seems that no nutes for first week or two is best way to go as seeds have all the food they need for initial period stored inside the seed itself.

I also read a thread a while ago where someone did side by side germ in rockwool and seeds with no nuted were quicker and healthier germ/seedlings than seeds with weak nute solution.

jb

Top Bottom