Seed Germination

• Thread starter RansacktheElder
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RansacktheElder

I'm a really new grower but I have a method for germinating seeds that has worked my whole life. Not sure if people are using it or not, so I thought I'd put it down here.
You'll need a paper towel and zip lok bag.

Wet the paper towel and wring out the excess water. It just needs to be damp, not soaked. fold towel into a square that will fit inside your zip lok bag. lay seeds on top of wet paper towel, slide into ziplok and seal. Lay the bags in a dark place and within about 48 hours you'll see them sprout. This has worked for me EVERY time. Any opinions?

P

PharmaGirl

Your method makes sense, I'd just make sure that dark place is also a warm place.

F

FastForward

There's quite a few threads on this already...I guess it's whatever works for you. I had disasters with paper towel methods but have great success either germing directly into coco (jiffy, or 3" pot of canna coco) or root riots. I prefer directly into coco just because it's quick, easy, and works every time....(needs a heated propagator imho)

J

John Ditchweed

I used to germ this way but now I just use rapid rooters

R

RansacktheElder

I'll have to look into the rapid rooter. Seems to be the consensus.

A

arpege

I have tried a bunch of different ways but dropping them in a glass of distilled water works for me 100% and quick as well. I keep them in a warm place in the dark. Even some of the tougher beans crack in a day or two.

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Hey Arpege-

Do you think low ec tap water vs distilled water makes a big difference? I just started ten seeds using three different methods (can see my other thread) and seeds in glass of water is showing slowest and weakest results so far. I also used ph adjusted water, adjusted to 6.0

JB

S

sizzahash

what's up farmers... quick question... can seeds sit in a cup of distilled water for 48 hours before they drown...:bong2:thanks

K

kill-9

Soak in cup of cool/warm water for 24 hours. Even if they have not sank to the bottom, place in peat pellets that were raised with warm/hot water. Then place in makeshift plastic dome which consists of two clear tupperware boxes. I put holes on the top for breath ability.

I place the seed in the pellet and put barely enough peat pulled from the bottom of it, on top. Just enough to barely cover the seed.

G

greyfx

I use to use this method and just used tap water. I still use this method for certain bagseeds. I mainly use rapid rooters because the root develops in the plug and you can just set it into the medium that you want. It's cheap and it works.

I have also dropped seeds into a cup of warm water, when they sink you then move them to the paper towel and they germ fast after that. I use tap water every time I germ in paper towel and use ro water every time I use the rapid rooters.

K

kill-9

Oh yeah, minor detail but always plant them sideways, as if it were laying on its body. If you plant 'em straight up and down, the taproot may come out on the wrong end and waste alot of energy to stabilize in the medium and finally break ground.

A

azmatis

hi on thc tube theres a video i saw on seed germination
worked great for me:banana1sv6:
az

Top Bottom