Seed Production Question - Having My Cake And Eating It Too

• Thread starter BostonFisher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BostonFisher

Hello I have three female blue himalayas autos indoor under a 600HPS in a grow tent. In soil. There was one male which we removed early on. Our plan was to fertilize one female plant so we'd have seeds to use for upcoming grows. From what I've read you want to pick your best plant for seeds to keep the good genetics. One female is bigger, bushier, and has more buds than the other two. I'm guessing I should pollinate that one but I don't want to sacrifice the main cola which looks like it will be amazing :) My question is can I pollinate the lower branches/popcorn of the best plant but leave the main cola/top pollen free? I would harvest the main cola first when it was ready and then let the pollinated buds keep going until the seeds were ready. Would it hurt to take off the main cola first and harvest the rest of the plant later? I would use a brush to carefully put pollen on the lower branches and not the main cola.

In the past I've cut off the top of a plant because the buds were ready and left the lower buds to keep maturing for about a week. It worked fine but I've never tried it with seeds before. Is this a good idea or should I just pollinate the entire plant and sacrifice the main bud? We don't need tons of seeds just 20+ which I'm sure the popcorn would produce given my past experience where I got a 100+ out of one plant. If anyone has done this before I'd appreciate your advise.

Thanks!

Reactions: Ina
xavier7995

xavier7995

You are on the right track. Collect your pollen in a separate area and then brush onto the pistils of a few branches. Do that away from the rest of the plants and let it sit for a little bit, I give them an hour or four, then spray down with water to kill off any pollen floating around. Give it 6 weeks and the seeds should be ready.

Make sure to mark the branches you pollinate and do one or two more than you think you will need.

B

BostonFisher

You are on the right track. Collect your pollen in a separate area and then brush onto the pistils of a few branches. Do that away from the rest of the plants and let it sit for a little bit, I give them an hour or four, then spray down with water to kill off any pollen floating around. Give it 6 weeks and the seeds should be ready.

Make sure to mark the branches you pollinate and do one or two more than you think you will need.
Thanks! I'll try that approach and see how it works out

B

BostonFisher

My thanks to everyone who gave advice. It worked out pretty well. A little pollen "spill over" but not too bad and I learned some things that I will improve upon next time. Amazing how many seeds you get out of just two branches!

Top Bottom