seed starting container size

• Thread starter tenacious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tenacious

Supporter
i start seeds by 1st placing them in maxi-crop water for about 8hrs & then paper-in-plastic for 36 more hrs. after root tip immerages a few mm, i transplant to a small container. my question is how small is too small? i've used containers that were too small before & i do not want to restrict the taproot. i have one liter airpot, but do not want to start directly in them. i prefer to start seeds off in 8 ounce [250 ml] foam drinking-cup. the cup is about 4 inches tall [10 cm]. i have 36 seeds sarted of la woman femizised from my friends at "DNA". i plan to use coco & ro water+ 1ml/1l cal-mag & liquid karma each.

J

jdubz206

the cups you're using will work...i prefer 16 oz dixie cups for starting seeds and clones...i use a soldering iron and poke 5 holes in the bottom of the cups...works great...i used some really small square pots to start some seeds once...they were these tiny green squares...maybe 2" x 2" or slightly larger....the problem i found with them was that they would sometimes dry up in less than a day...like overnight or while i was @ work...sucked really bad but i imagine if i would have put them in a tray with a humidity dome, it would've probably worked much better...the cups you are having should work fine, just make sure to poke some holes for drainage...i think the majority of people use the 16oz dixie cups or at least it looks that way from lots of pics i've seen...i'm not planning on changing that anytime soon..good luck with your grow. peace bro. j

O

Old Yeller

Use the 16-18 oz Solo plastic beer cups. When the roots take off, you'll be watering them every other day anyway. I wouldn't bother with anything smaller unless you don't have the space to veg 36 seeds.

T

tenacious

Supporter
i bought 16 oz foam cups & i'll also use some of these new [1l]air-pots & compare them side-by-side. thanks for ur comments.

DJXXPLATINUM

DJXXPLATINUM

wassup tenacious!!!! i use the ones that are about as deep as a rapid rooter about 2" and move to 12oz styrofoam cups with drain holes, then when they get the fifth or sixth set of leaves, i top them and i put them into 8",10" or 12" pots depending on how many plants i want to fit into the room!!!!hope this helps!!!! also tenacious these air pots you are trying, are these the black beaded lookin ones !!!! they look like they would work killer with the hydroton!!!peace djxx

T

tenacious

Supporter
i got 50 started in 16 oz foam cups. the sodering iron worked perfect for making holes, although the smell of melting foam was toxic. i haven't used the air-pot yet b/c i'm concerened they will dry out too quickly. yes these air-pots are black & look abit like a porcupine. i belive they would work fantactic w/ hydroton & many other apps as well.

Top Bottom