Seedling are Dying on me Fast

• Thread starter Miguelcraigo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Miguelcraigo

Miguelcraigo

This is my 4th run and I've never had seedling problems before. I've lost 5 seedlings now and have no idea what's going wrong. I'm growing coco with worm casting and gaia green 4-4-4. I mixed up the medium at the same time as planting and the soil reds 6.0 ph. They all popped and then very quickly turn to this. Seeds started in a shot glass with water for 48, then planted and watered with the shot of water.im taking the domes off as soon as I see they sprouted

Seedling are dying on me fast
Seedling are dying on me fast 2
Miguelcraigo

Miguelcraigo

About 5 days from putting them in water.l 2 from sprouting. Mars hydro 2000 at 25% it was about 2 feet away I just moved it to 3 feet

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

About 5 days from putting them in water.l 2 from sprouting. Mars hydro 2000 at 25% it was about 2 feet away I just moved it to 3 feet
i think my mars manual says 30 inch when germinating u could try turning your light down to maybe 10 for a day or 2

E

elusiveshame

If you're taking the husks off, that might be your issue.

It looks like a different plant in each pic. The 2nd one looks like she's recoverable. I would put a humidity dome over them until they start standing up straight / start growing their first true leaves. You can make these easily out of a 1 or 2 liter soda bottle top. Just cut the top off after it straightens out (about 4ish inches down I guess), and just leave the cap off.

E

elusiveshame

well i didnt see that part about coco i do know u have to keep coco wet
That’s about all I know from reading posts here about it. Since I haven’t done it, I don’t wanna speak up about it and give wrong info 😅

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Water the coco to saturate it then let it dry treat like soil kinda when it’s amended. Overwatering is not wgiving to much water it watering to often and roots dont grow into dry soil.

the most common mistake is blasting them with light and by the orientation of the leaves and stem id say thats the case here also.

what light are you using and how close is it?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The tap root grows straight down and a shot glass of water will do nothing for it needs…. I CANT STRESS ENOUGH. Water it to run off… the entire pot.…. and give very minimal lights. Almost everyone half kills their plants with light these days

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Read this to gain a better understanding

Blastfact

Blastfact

With coco I pre flush/wash it in the permanent pot I'm goin to use for the grow. While still damp I transfer the coco back into a empty mix bin and then add my Gaia Green at a 70% 444/30% 284 ratio, with DE and Recharge. Water and set aside. Gaia Green has to cook and get started. It's not a instant nutrient. Let that set for a 7 to 8 days watering the coco every two or three days. I then take a clear solo cup burn four holes in the bottom of the cup and dig a hole in the fresh mixed up coco. Put that soil in the solo cup and bury the filled up solo cup in the hole I just made. I start to pop the beans 7 or 8 days after I setup the pots. Once the beans pop I plant them in the prepared solo cup/pot. The coco is moist and ready to support the forthcoming seedling. When I plant the seed I give it 1 oz. of direct water. From that point on I only water the main pot. Remember those four holes put in the solo cup? Those holes now make sure the coco in the solo cup gets all the water needed for the most part for the next few days. If for some reason I do have to water the seedling, I never use more than a oz. or two of water in the solo cup. In two weeks transplant into the perment pot and move on. Only one transplant needed and watering is bone idle simple.

Day 1
End Of Day1

Day 7
Day7

Day 7 Roots

Day 15, transplant day.
D15 transplant

Transplanted

Good Luck!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

This is my 4th run and I've never had seedling problems before. I've lost 5 seedlings now and have no idea what's going wrong. I'm growing coco with worm casting and gaia green 4-4-4. I mixed up the medium at the same time as planting and the soil reds 6.0 ph. They all popped and then very quickly turn to this. Seeds started in a shot glass with water for 48, then planted and watered with the shot of water.im taking the domes off as soon as I see they sprouted
I'm going to guess the problem is that your not really in coco, because of this mix that includes worm castings.

Worm castings hold a lot more water for a longer time than coco, meaning your seedling roots may be starved of oxygen. Ease up on the watering.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

plants poking up with a kink in their necks is totally normal, as is the whiteish inner seed layer beight attached. just be sure to water properly. Seedlings grow pretty slowly esp when they have just came up, takes a few weeks to really hit rapid growth and start seeing some really fast growth. I personally like Peat much more for my starting mix it holds the water much longer and the texture is better IMO. I like to rock 40 peat 30 pearlite/pumice/small basalt and 30 compost or worm. No amendments beyond the compost and some lime or gypsum. How much worm to coco did you do? When you over amend your soils nutrient burn doesn't really show like it does with liquid nutes, they plants just dont grow. They get real dark look great but just dont move fast till they have over come the content of N

z0so1337

z0so1337

I'm pretty new to this, but Gaia 4-4-4 is one of the variables of my current grow. It slowed down quite a lot, and leaf problems once I transferred the plant to coco+perlite+gaia444+RAW microbes. I've had another problem similar to yours back in April, but I can't remember if I was using Gaia 4-4-4 for that one.​
This is my current seedling. It's 10 days old and it's an auto. Notice the little "spines" on the tips and some yellowing! Not sure what happened there. Might have been the Gaia, genetics or the fact those "spines" kind stuck to themselves for a couple of days. Very weird. I makes me thing Gaia is a bit hot, or maybe I should just use it without any microbes to help break it down. I got some burns and necrotic tissue on another plant I added Gaia + Microbes very recently. But might have been just overwatering, although that plant didn't respond that way with same volume of water before the amendment.​
I have moved it into this final pot now, made a hole with just coco/perlite so it doesn't touch the amended soil and EWC on top. I'm also germinating another seed and will just do coco. Should have answers in the next couple of days.​
You could try starting some of them free of nutrients next time as insurance. And please let me know what happens! Cheers.​

Screenshot 2023 01 19 205249

The other plant in case you're curious like me.

Screenshot 2023 01 19 211449

Last edited:
Top Bottom