Seedling over watered. Repot or leave alone?

• Thread starter Kevuk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kevuk

Kevuk

I have 2 seedlings in solo cup sized pots.

I have never used soil before and 1 is showing signs of over watering. I only bottom fed a small amount once in 6 days, but I was misting often to prevent the root riot cubes from drying out before roots had formed.

1 is growing faster than the other (I suspect it may be male). The smaller seedling hasn’t really grown today and the leaves have curled a bit. Both popped on the same day and have been treated the same.

Is it better to leave it as is, or to repot it in dry soil?

Ive but a fan on them to increase air circulation and raised the pots off the tray.

Thanks.

Kevuk

Kevuk

They are in biobizz light mix.
CEB0781B 1FFB 4A0B BCF6 0DCF66DFE7EF

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Ok, those should be kept slightly damp. They don't need food yet.
Those lights are really close. Do you have a lux meter?

Jakecan

Jakecan

I would keep misting and get the humidity up as high as you can. Do you have a lid for that tray? Also I think a bit of water on the top wouldn't hurt.

Kevuk

Kevuk

They are only 10watt IKEA bulbs. I turned 2 extra ones on to help things dry out a bit.

They are not as dry as they look. I put a bit of extra soil on top to wick away some moisture.

Kevuk

Kevuk

I would keep misting and get the humidity up as high as you can. Do you have a lid for that tray? Also I think a bit of water on the top wouldn't hurt.

Im sure too much water is the issue. I’ve misted 3 or 4 times a day.

I use coco but plan to keep a mother if one of these turns out to be a keeper. Hence they are in soil.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

BioBizz is not organic, but it has much of what is needed in seedling and early veg.
I would not recommend it normally. It needs a dose of Recharge to really get going.
So far, the plants look ok.
What will you be transplanting into?

Kevuk

Kevuk

BioBizz is not organic, but it has much of what is needed in seedling and early veg.
I would not recommend it normally. It needs a dose of Recharge to really get going.
So far, the plants look ok.
What will you be transplanting into?
I was planning on keeping them in bio bizz light and feeding lightly. I want to keep them small as possible. They will be mothers if they are worth keeping.
Do you have a dome you can cover them with? If so mist the dome as that will bring up your humidity.
I thought that was a bad idea once seeds have popped?

Kevuk

Kevuk

I don't believe so. It's what I've always done in the seedling stage otherwise I can't get my humidity up high enough.
One of mine “wetted” out because i left the dome on.

I thought domes were for cuts not seedlings?

I haven’t bothered with seeds for a long time.

Jakecan

Jakecan

I thought domes were for cuts not seedlings
Yea I've never had a problem leaving the dome on with seedlings. Honestly even with cuttings once they root I put them into a 21 plug tray and dome that too in order to keep the humidity up. As long as you're not overwatering I think it overall helps as the leaves do a lot of the work at an early age.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not over watered... as @ComfortablyNumb said looks like light and no dome for seedlings. Do not spray them.

Water to saturate the media then let dry before watering again.

Do not bottom feed.

Water from the top to wet all of the media then let dry until light before watering again.

Kevuk

Kevuk

Not over watered... as @ComfortablyNumb said looks like light and no dome for seedlings. Do not spray them.

Water to saturate the media then let dry before watering again.

Do not bottom feed.

Water from the top to wet all of the media then let dry until light before watering again.
I’ve took some closer pics.

I’m sure it’s over watered. Some yellowing on the leaves and the soil is damp at the bottom of the pot.

The other is fine under the lights. They are 2 x 10 W IKEA Vaxer bulbs.

672D1A63 C289 4AE6 99CF 1E0E014E35E3
71BC0577 69CA 46F7 97AB 5A9FB4749009
51AD3BCB 9508 46D6 8BAB 24C9739176CE

Moshmen

Moshmen

One of mine “wetted” out because i left the dome on.

I thought domes were for cuts not seedlings?

I haven’t bothered with seeds for a long time.
Correct once my seeds poke out of the soil the dome comes off! I water from the top never bottom feed my seedlings And back the light up just a bit.

Top Bottom