Seedling Questions: A newbie's seeds grow up

• Thread starter JayBee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
So... I have seven seeds that have sprouted with a root coming out of the bottom of the rockwool. I figure it is now time to put them into bigger blocks of rockwool before they can be put into the clay rocks.

Just want to run through the plan and make sure this sounds right to everyone- will prepare water with weak canna aqua nutes aprox .8 EC and about 1 ml of canna rhizotonic per liter water- will be using tap water that is .3 EC. Will adjust PH to 5.5 Does this seem right? Am i missing anything?

One other question- I know there is a post in the FAQ about purple stems for seedlings. It says is from too hot or too cold. It is deff not too cold here. Temp has been about 82 degrees inside the dome. Is this too hot? Do i need to be worried about these purple stems?

Ok, two more questions :bong-hits: Can someone tell me a little about how and when to transition to taking off the dome and also how and when to transition to (600W) MH? RIght now they are under two 21w T5.

Thanks!!

JB

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
You've got it right JB and I wouldn't worry about the purple stems at all. Some plants just have purple stems too.

You can transition to taking the dome off when ever you're comfortable. Do it in stages. If you have air vents on the top I'd give them a day with those open first. After that, leave the dome half off for a full day to see how they respond, then a bit more the next day if they look ok. Some won't have any real problems/shock going right to dome free but better safe than sorry.

Using the Rhizo you're unlikely to have problems anyway.

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Hererisssh-

Thanks so much for the feedback!

JB

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Next step, next question- how do i know when big rockwool blocks are ready to go into hydro system? I will be putting them into pod system with clay pebbles.

Also, should I switch to MH light now (right now seedlings are still under t5, i bought two more, so now have 4 x 21w)- or should i wait till i put blocks into the system?

M

Magus79

I normaly put mine under the MH once they reach 2 or 3 nodes. Just remember when you put them under the MH either raise your light or put them a little away from the light. Dont want to give them sunburn.

A

astro

When I introduce a MH around seedlings or clones I start the light about 2.5 to 3 ft. above them and work my way down daily to about 1.5 foot. I am referring to a 400 watt MH.

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Thanks for that, I am planning to start MH tonight.

What about putting the blocks into the clay rocks/ebb and flo system? Can I put them in once i see first roots out the bottom or do i need to wait till there are many coming far out the bottom?

Thanks!

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

you can go right ahead and put the blocks right into the system. Since it's an ebb and flo they will already get good water supply as long as the first roots are showing. You don't ant to wait to long so you don't damage any rootws putting them in the system. The seedlings can go under the MH as son as they are getting their second set of true leaves, although I have a budy who just starts them under his MH As long as you keep the light a good distance and move it closer each day till you get it into the range you want it, you will do fine.

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Thanks Jansjuke- I just switched on HID light for first time- I am a little nervous with the 3rd world wiring here that I am gonna burn down the building!

Right now 600w is about 3.5 feet away from seedlings. Plan is to let them get used to the new light for a day or two and then put them into the hydro system.

Right now I have 7 seedling from an orig 10 seeds. I am thinking that in my 4 pod system I will put 2 each in 3 of the pods and one in the 4th pod. Anyone have an opinion on whether with a system like pod ebb and flow from esoteric am i better with 2 plants in each bucket or just one? Because i am growing in a tent (DR120) space is limited-

Rock on-

jb

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Little update- got 6 plants in the system now, two buckets have two plants each, and two have one plant only. They are doing great i think- first day in the system i just gave them ph adjusted water and canna rhizotonic, 2nd day added the canna nutes. PH has been pretty steady only needing very minor adjustment down. I fed about 60% of what canna suggests for first week seedlings, ec is 1.2. Not sure how long to veg for but over all pretty happy with how things are going so far. Will try to post a pic soon.

JB

Latest posts

Top Bottom