Seedling sprouted with NO cotyledons. Anybody seen this before?

• Thread starter darkerfalz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
darkerfalz

darkerfalz

As the post title suggests, I have a seedling here now that sprouted without its embryonic leaves. It's not like they're ripped off, they're just plain not there and instead there is just a clean little knuckle. It's been about 4 days and it hasn't sprouted any new leaves, pretty obvious it wouldn't but I thought I'd try anyways, but yeah it's def not gonna survive haha. Just wondering if anybody has seen this before because I haven't been able to find anything on it.
Seedling sprouted with no cotyledons anybody seen this before

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Looks like a single. I saw some last summer drop one set and grow another but believe it was an overlight issue not genetic

R

redshift75

oooh an 'acotyledon'(as its called) i personally believe is a good pheno sign! what you have is the plumule. I always look at cotyledons variations as a sign of a pheno variation even if just a random mutation/development. its not a true acotyledon plant just germinated as one that appears to be that. there are a handful of cotyledons mutations. One of my seeds that just sprouted last week had 2 tails into 1 embryo i grew it out and am going to wait and see if I can split it. Or keep it together and see if the two root systems act independent or singular or if one dies off. Because I've never had one of those before and I thought it would be cool. it grew some mutated cotyledons too where it had 2 and then 2 cotyledons grew off each cotyledon so it looked like a true leaf sort of but rounded. Ill snap a photo of it tonight to share :)

R

redshift75

quick dbl post follow-up. we wont actually know what it is until it decides it going to open up possibly or grows a few sets of true leaves. Or aborts due to mutation and lack of physical development in another place. Mutants are my favorite :) I like to believe they are so awesome they couldn't decide who they wanted to be. So you have to help nurter them and when they are able they choose to develop into something amazing. But in the off chance its a wildly stunted plant that refuses to develop is always a possibility. That I'm throwing it out. Some people may jump in and tell you to toss it. So I'm going to followup with the unless you have to for some reason I'm all about seeing how they develop. Because most likely once it develops true leaves it will be a regular plant even if it ends up a week or 3 behind due to the variation.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

There’s no structure present for light absorption. Pull the thing and start again.

R

redshift75

There’s no structure present for light absorption. Pull the thing and start again.
plumule can still fully develop true leaves as an Acotyledon. From a scientific standpoint. the plumule is the light absorption material and proof is in its standing straight up. Just to share some knowledge. But you are correct in that it is significantly reduced and can reach the point it decides it cant develop true leaves and aborts. Which you would know if it drops to the ground and stops standing at attention

A common misconception with Acotyledon development.

edit: I've never had a cannabis acotyledon before so can give no advice. i do know some require a split on other plants with a razor blade to push out first set of true leaves. I wouldn't do it with my first one because I would like to know if a cannabis variant can push them out for science. So I hope he lets it grow cause from a science standpoint this is fascinating to me.

Edit 2:
If im being 100% honest after staring at this for almost an hour
THis plant reminds me of a seed that germinated and still had the shell on the cotyledons and I went to remove the shell from the cotyledons and ripped them off and all that ended up left was a standing plumule connected to a root. I say that cause typically the plumule is shaped like the seed but it does look like it could have swelled up some trying to force a split. But at face value it looks like a sprout the seed got popped off. But I hope for science it is an Acotyledon cause i'd love to know.

edit 3: i almost feel like it will need a slit to expose the shoot primordia its a real gamble idk what my vote would be. Other than to leave it

Last edited by a moderator:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have seen this. I left it and after about a week a tiny leaf emerged. Never had true cots just a stump on the end of the stem like here. Then it grew into a normal plant. It was in ocean forest potting soil.

RookieBuds

RookieBuds

It looks like it beheaded itself. I've done this manually a few times, trying to unhelmet a sprout, but this looks like it did on its own.

R

redshift75

It looks like it beheaded itself. I've done this manually a few times, trying to unhelmet a sprout, but this looks like it did on its own.
Thats what I said after I studied it for an hour. it looks like when I mess up and oopsie their heads off! But would be awesome to see an acotyledon sprout.

Like pushrod said, i’ve had a couple, they died without ever popping a leaf.
yeah with some plants you have to expose the shoot primordia in order for it to develop true leaf. its possible that could be the case when it comes to cannabis. But when I did a quick search I did see people reference them just going straight to true leaves. Ive never experienced that mutation but if we refer to my comment above I've definitely induced this condition a time or two.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

39 days from seed. Purposely didn't try to remove the helmet. There was an experiment in my farming days where we would roll our soybeans to increase vigor.... it worked on soybeans at early stages.
20210423 192203

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Not true, they can grow. Remember, life always finds a way.
Junk like that finds its way to the compost heap here. Too many seeds to play nurse to a wimpy seedling. There’s nothing to absorb light. No green. No good.

D

dspucch

I have seen this. I left it and after about a week a tiny leaf emerged. Never had true cots just a stump on the end of the stem like here. Then it grew into a normal plant. It was in ocean forest potting soil.

Junk like that finds its way to the compost heap here. Too many seeds to play nurse to a wimpy seedling. There’s nothing to absorb light. No green. No good.

Look at the above quote, sometimes people haev more patience to test something out... this is a hobby for some afterall and hobbys are meant to be fun and experiment :)

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Let’s see pictures. No pictures it’s just stories. Including this thing. But for the true hobbyists with nothing better to do go for it. Excellent genetics by the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom