Seedlings are struggling. Any advise? First time in coco

• Thread starter buzzlight
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

buzzlight

Hi all !

This is my first post, happy to join the community ! 🙂

This is my 5th grow so far, but first one in coco coir. My seedlings are about 1 week old and they look like they are struggling.
Leafs are malformed/twisted/curled and the stem looks a bit weak.

I'm using Canna Coco, washed with tap water @ PH 5.6 and added a handful of perlite.
Currently feeding almost every day with tap water (95 PPM) @ PH 5.6-5.7
Runoff PH is at 6.0 and PPM around 150.
Humidity at 50-60% and temps at 75 (25c)

For the moment they are under a cheap 100w led light than hangs about 12" above .

What am I missing?

Thanks for the help and happy growing ✌

Seedlings are struggling any advise  first time in coco
Seedlings are struggling any advise  first time in coco 2
Seraphine

Seraphine

I’d raise the lights to about 18” or 24” from the canopy. I’d also raise your pH. Keep it 5.8-6.2

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It looks like the seedling was damaged physically when very young. It is much too young to be showing signs of deficiencies yet, and the runoff suggests there is a little nutrition at least to get things started. I think your Ph is too low, but I use Promix which is different than coco. I would suggest a considerably stronger light in the near future, which will help the plant more when it grows additional leaves. Sometimes you just get a gimpy seedling, which looks like what you are seeing, at least in my opinion.

B

buzzlight

Thanks for the inputs ! I watered today at ph 6.0 and moved the light a bit further away. I’ll see if this does any good 👍

B

buzzlight

It looks like the seedling was damaged physically when very young. It is much too young to be showing signs of deficiencies yet, and the runoff suggests there is a little nutrition at least to get things started. I think your Ph is too low, but I use Promix which is different than coco. I would suggest a considerably stronger light in the near future, which will help the plant more when it grows additional leaves. Sometimes you just get a gimpy seedling, which looks like what you are seeing, at least in my opinion.

Isn't 100 watts enough for seedlings? Thanks for the help, I bumped up the ph a bit. Thanks for your help :)

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
100 watts of light is enough if it is actually 100 watts. Most LED lights don't have the same power use and something advertised as a 100 watt LED will only draw 25 to 50 watts of power. Watts are watts and a 100 watt LED draws a minimum of 100w if 100% efficient , which none are. Anyhow, that is something to consider when getting a LED light... what is the actual wattage? What I meant by my increased light comment was that your plants will be growing larger and will need more light coverage. You are fine for now, but you will need to bump it up a little if you want to get a larger plant. Plants are like motors... the more HP, the faster things go. To get more Horsepower, you need to create more energy. In the plant's case, the leaves are the motors and provide the energy that allows the plant to grow bigger and faster.

B

buzzlight

100 watts of light is enough if it is actually 100 watts. Most LED lights don't have the same power use and something advertised as a 100 watt LED will only draw 25 to 50 watts of power. Watts are watts and a 100 watt LED draws a minimum of 100w if 100% efficient , which none are. Anyhow, that is something to consider when getting a LED light... what is the actual wattage? What I meant by my increased light comment was that your plants will be growing larger and will need more light coverage. You are fine for now, but you will need to bump it up a little if you want to get a larger plant. Plants are like motors... the more HP, the faster things go. To get more Horsepower, you need to create more energy. In the plant's case, the leaves are the motors and provide the energy that allows the plant to grow bigger and faster.

But even if it doesn't actually pull 100w from the wall, I didn't have this problem with dirt.. Don't people actually use 17w T5 lights in domes ?
When they'll be strong enough and i'll have harvested my current batch (currently flushing 😄 ✌) i'll move them in the grow tent under a 320w quantum board which will be plenty for them 😄

I'm just a bit sceptical that this is my problem because between this one and my past four grows, lights are the only thing that haven't changed.. 🤷‍♂️
I think the ph might be more of a problem though as you mentioned 🙂

Thanks for your input and time 😄

Reactions: Ina
K

kfuller802vt

if i put plant im 24 hour darkness will the trichomes rapidly mature? i need them to thrn amber

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
But even if it doesn't actually pull 100w from the wall, I didn't have this problem with dirt.. Don't people actually use 17w T5 lights in domes ?
When they'll be strong enough and i'll have harvested my current batch (currently flushing 😄 ✌) i'll move them in the grow tent under a 320w quantum board which will be plenty for them 😄

I'm just a bit sceptical that this is my problem because between this one and my past four grows, lights are the only thing that haven't changed.. 🤷‍♂️
I think the ph might be more of a problem though as you mentioned 🙂

Thanks for your input and time 😄
I just answered back about the light amount. The plant shouldn't look like that unless it is a gimpy plant (which happens) or is being overfed. I think it is way too young to be showing deficiencies, but too much food can make it hard on young plants and roots. Your Ph shouldn't be out of whack unless something has been added to the soil. Coco is different than Promix, but I can't understand why your Ph is so acidic/low.

m8ty

m8ty

Poor thing you notice how the new growth is thin and miniaturized? You killed it with that LED being so close.

Seraphine

Seraphine

It’ll be fine, just look for healthy/normal new growth.

Rcubed

Rcubed

I am well aware of that, it is pretty much why I made this thread.
But thanks for sharing your thoughts !
Don't get discouraged, I've had a few start ugly and get good. Also, some guys do good work with those cheap LED lights. If I were you I'd get em in soil cause it's a lot more forgiving. You wouldn't have to worry about ph quite so much and if you have a good soil mix you won't have to worry about any deficiencies either. If you're just experimenting and you're not life and death about getting a good finished product, just do the best you can with the coco. You'll probably learn a lot. Hell, you can always plant more seeds.

B

buzzlight

Don't get discouraged, I've had a few start ugly and get good. Also, some guys do good work with those cheap LED lights. If I were you I'd get em in soil cause it's a lot more forgiving. You wouldn't have to worry about ph quite so much and if you have a good soil mix you won't have to worry about any deficiencies either. If you're just experimenting and you're not life and death about getting a good finished product, just do the best you can with the coco. You'll probably learn a lot. Hell, you can always plant more seeds.

Thanks for the advise, you’re right, i’ll start them in soil next time :) At least i’m a few days from harvest now and they look good in my opinion !! I hope I can beat this next grow and keep improving ✌

A7D154C7 618F 4623 8C05 7C0208A148CE
Top Bottom