Seedlings keep dying

• Thread starter SavageJay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SavageJay

SavageJay

Hi all. I've been having a real pain of an issue for the past 4 months. I grow mainly fastbuds genetics, and for a while now i can't seem to kick off a grow. The seeds, while in the rockwool cubes will just completely stop growing. Some will make it to the cotyledon leaves and then stop growing.

In the pic I've attached, look at the root, this keeps happening, sometimes they won't even make it out thr rockwool and when i open it up to see whats wrong, the root has lost its structure, and is really soft and brownish.

Seedlings keep dying
Nugg

Nugg

Hmm..I don't water mine at all...I have to keep mine dry as possible after root pops out and it can take water on its own... sometimes I give one drop of hydro guard to help keep away bad beanies..but others grow in it so..IDK..I've wasted your time ..

SavageJay

SavageJay

Hmm..I don't water mine at all...I have to keep mine dry as possible after root pops out and it can take water on its own... sometimes I give one drop of hydro guard to help keep away bad beanies..but others grow in it so..IDK..I've wasted your time ..
I think it may be Pythium :(

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It's because rockwool holds too much water for far too long and eventually the root gets damping off or some other form of pathogen that kills them. What seems like a little bit of water in rockwool can actually be too much. Its better to start in something with shorter wet/dry cycles and more air like root riots or rapid rooters, or if using rockwool, plant the germinated seed in a dry block and spoon feed it 1 Tbsp at a time only as it needs it. like once every other day or once a day until the roots are established.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey savage jay, can you put some seed in a dixie cup with a gentle medium like pro mix ? 4 months , you need to get some satisfaction, try to get away from the rockwool cubes and try a more basic start, it should be a lot easier, but some big hurdles in the begining will just make you a better grower, everyone goes thru it....Do Not Give Up.....

Are you putting anything in the water ? Like a boost or nutrient ?
Something wierd and simple is going on.....

SavageJay

SavageJay

It's because rockwool holds too much water for far too long and eventually the root gets damping off or some other form of pathogen that kills them. What seems like a little bit of water in rockwool can actually be too much. Its better to start in something with shorter wet/dry cycles and more air like root riots or rapid rooters, or if using rockwool, plant the germinated seed in a dry block and spoon feed it 1 Tbsp at a time only as it needs it. like once every other day or once a day until the roots are established.
Wow.. I've started saving txt files, with labels, of all the knowledge i find here. Thanks for contributing to that treasure.

SavageJay

SavageJay

Hey savage jay, can you put some seed in a dixie cup with a gentle medium like pro mix ? 4 months , you need to get some satisfaction, try to get away from the rockwool cubes and try a more basic start, it should be a lot easier, but some big hurdles in the begining will just make you a better grower, everyone goes thru it....Do Not Give Up.....

Are you putting anything in the water ? Like a boost or nutrient ?
Something wierd and simple is going on.....
Have been on a path of mindfulness since this year started, i haven't lost satisfaction yet. Almost did though. Think i've lost arount 12 FastBuds seeds in these few months trying to get a grow going. But I think you're right, i need to do a fun normal grow. You might have just offered a solution to my inevitable satisfaction problem. Thanks!

P.S: I beat my record for germination rates with her before she died. She was a FastBuds Bluedream.
True set of leaves showing 36 hours from seed (See pic)

Last edited:
SavageJay

SavageJay

Can be and is, as at least two people above have already said. It's called damping off, look it up and make adjustments for best results good luck
Pythium in other words. I'm in the process of completely sterilizing the grow room. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Top Bottom