Seedlings looking unhealthy - pics

• Thread starter tilopa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tilopa

tilopa

My seedlings started out great, all beans cracked and grew 2 new (real) leaves and roots before I transplanted into actual pots. I know most people say you should not use nutes at this point, but I mixed my soil with plain coco coir, perlite, and roots organic 707 formula. I'd say about half of the roots organic and half coco perlite.

From the picks does it look like they are having nute burn (too much nutrients)?

If not what can this be. I have a small amount of light (indoor) and temps and humidity are fine.

If it is nute burn what can I do at this point to correct it?

It's a little hard to see from the photo but in addition to the leaves turning yellow at the edges they are starting to curl under a bit.

Thanks for any advice.

Seedlings looking unhealthy   pics
Seedlings looking unhealthy   pics 2
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The soil looks good but the plants look unfocused. I doubt that your plants need feeding yet. Don't feed them for at least 10 days until their roots have grown a little. You have a very small seedling and not a redwood... the amount of feeding that you need at this point is minute and there is enough in whatever you are growing them in to get things started. Roots are sensitive and feeding too soon can easily damage them. Patience is the key. You have just got your 1st leaves growing in... don't think that they are starving. Over-feeding is the #1 cause of problems based on the dozen posts I answer daily. Plants don't require a lot of nutrition to be healthy. You wouldn't feed a newborn a pepperoni pizza, don't feed a new seedling a huge meal either.

tilopa

tilopa

The soil looks good but the plants look unfocused. I doubt that your plants need feeding yet. Don't feed them for at least 10 days until their roots have grown a little. You have a very small seedling and not a redwood... the amount of feeding that you need at this point is minute and there is enough in whatever you are growing them in to get things started. Roots are sensitive and feeding too soon can easily damage them. Patience is the key. You have just got your 1st leaves growing in... don't think that they are starving. Over-feeding is the #1 cause of problems based on the dozen posts I answer daily. Plants don't require a lot of nutrition to be healthy. You wouldn't feed a newborn a pepperoni pizza, don't feed a new seedling a huge meal either.
I get it. immediately after I transplanted them I thought maybe I should not have given them that soil. But how can I correct the problem now?

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I get it. immediately after I transplanted them I thought maybe I should not have given them that soil. But how can I correct the problem now?
The reason people say not to do it, is that it's not easy to correct. You could wash the soil off the roots and transplant, but that is fraught with peril.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I havent used that soil but cut 50/50 with coco I cant see it being too hot. I also wouldnt be too concerned until the true leaves emerge. Just feed only water for the first few weeks at least and see what happens. That's all you can really do without scooping it out of there and replanting, which could well be even worse for it.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Your plants don't look bad, I was referring to the fact that the soil was in focus but the plants weren't... sort of a lame attempt at humor. I think your plants will probably be OK once they adjust to their new homes. The soil should have plenty of nutrients already to get you going for a month. Keep a strong light on them and a large growing container, and you should be OK... but go easy on the feed as I mentioned earlier. As the Old Man said, it's a lot harder to recover from an overage than to fix a shortage.. I know it's the hardest thing to do when you are a newer grower, but the more you let them grow without intervention, the better they will be. If you have issues, obviously you need to fix it, but plants don't respond well to change. Keep up the good work!

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

i am paraphrasing Jimster - put it in good environment, adequate heat, adequate light and let it be. don't overwater. see what happens in a couple of days.

i would have thought way too early to tell about nutrient deficiency of soil or plant.

it's a sprout. i wouldn't even call it a seedling - maybe that damage is due to transplanting. leave it alone to recover.

in a couple of weeks, that sprout will become a seedling, then juvenile/vegetative growth.

what seed is it?

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

My seedlings started out great, all beans cracked and grew 2 new (real) leaves and roots before I transplanted into actual pots. I know most people say you should not use nutes at this point, but I mixed my soil with plain coco coir, perlite, and roots organic 707 formula. I'd say about half of the roots organic and half coco perlite.

From the picks does it look like they are having nute burn (too much nutrients)?

If not what can this be. I have a small amount of light (indoor) and temps and humidity are fine.

If it is nute burn what can I do at this point to correct it?

It's a little hard to see from the photo but in addition to the leaves turning yellow at the edges they are starting to curl under a bit.

Thanks for any advice.
Are you adjusting pH for the medium you're using?

tilopa

tilopa

Thanks.

Yeah, my phone camera is on auto-focus, haven't figured out how to manual focus yet.

I adjusted the ph of the water down to 6.2, not sure what the soil is.

These seeds are Dynasty Genetics Huckleberry Kush V5

Latest posts

Top Bottom