Seedlings Outdoor Heat, bring inside?

• Thread starter jimmib67
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jimmib67

Hi, New to forum and cannabis cultivation. For my first grow I am trying a couple autoflower varieties. Dutch Passion AutoNight Queen, Canuk Seeds NL Auto & Canuk Seeds NL + Big Bud Auto. Using 45% coir and 45% compost 10% vermiculite for soil in 5 gal fabric pots w/ chopped straw mulch. Trying to go organic so as to not complicate things. I want to grow them outside and got 3 to germinate so far. 1 of each, all in full sun. Looks like I germinated right in the middle of a heat wave (95F+ going to be like this for at least 5 days). Once germinated I removed about 1/2 cups worth of soil from the middle of the pot and added my coir potting mix seed starting mix in the hole and added the seed, Thinking I didn't want the seedling to start getting nuts from the compost too soon. Am i overthinking that?. They all broke ground about 4 days ago. the NL+BB seemed to do ok but the ANQ and NL seedlings do not look good. 3 days ago the ANQ had the tiny leaves pointing straight up so i moved her to the shade. Yesterday the ANQ and NL looked better but still miserable and the NL+BB was curling a little in the evening (looked better this am). All look like heat stressed. I have a seed starting room in my basement. 70-72 F & 60% humidity 2 45W LED Kingbo grow lights. Should I move my heat stressed baby's to the basement? Will 90w LEDS be enough to get them through the next week or two?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hi, New to forum and cannabis cultivation. For my first grow I am trying a couple autoflower varieties. Dutch Passion AutoNight Queen, Canuk Seeds NL Auto & Canuk Seeds NL + Big Bud Auto. Using 45% coir and 45% compost 10% vermiculite for soil in 5 gal fabric pots w/ chopped straw mulch. Trying to go organic so as to not complicate things. I want to grow them outside and got 3 to germinate so far. 1 of each, all in full sun. Looks like I germinated right in the middle of a heat wave (95F+ going to be like this for at least 5 days). Once germinated I removed about 1/2 cups worth of soil from the middle of the pot and added my coir potting mix seed starting mix in the hole and added the seed, Thinking I didn't want the seedling to start getting nuts from the compost too soon. Am i overthinking that?. They all broke ground about 4 days ago. the NL+BB seemed to do ok but the ANQ and NL seedlings do not look good. 3 days ago the ANQ had the tiny leaves pointing straight up so i moved her to the shade. Yesterday the ANQ and NL looked better but still miserable and the NL+BB was curling a little in the evening (looked better this am). All look like heat stressed. I have a seed starting room in my basement. 70-72 F & 60% humidity 2 45W LED Kingbo grow lights. Should I move my heat stressed baby's to the basement? Will 90w LEDS be enough to get them through the next week or two?
Seedlings will do fine in those conditions. I would only worry about bugs being brought in with them. 90watts is plenty for them for a couple weeks.

Risk vs reward here. It's up to you.

BigCube

BigCube

Put them in the shade if you can, preferably shade that has a breeze. Foliar spray them to keep the humidity up, or put domes on them.

That would probably be your best bet outdoor. Bringing them in would be easier. The cheap proven method is to get a 18" florecent under the cabinet light. And put a ge daylight bulb in it. Have domes over them or use a domed seedling flat. Put the light 8 to 10 inches away from the seedlings and keep them moist.

W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

If we are talking about 90w draw from the wall then yes it would be enaugh for seedling to survive.
But imoo you should let them outside just put them somewhere they don't dont have direct mid-day sun. Everything else sims good. Just i would like to add that the soil that you describe is quite strong. I would add some perlite in the mix.
I wish you a happy growing experience

W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

Just to add to ma previous post that you should what h when are you attering

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

why not just put a shade cloth over during the heat of day,here is 2 to 4 pm extreme heat and then take off,im a believer in if they cant make it in the hot sun there no good to me,especially a gorrila grow,the clay content in your ground soil provide the extra they need to bare heat,with cannibis ive found strains dont matter when the heat is on and all mine slow down when it gets to 90 degrees,i just throw a desert camo cloth on a old canopy we had over pool,still get plenty of light but yet also gets a little shade enough just for them to get it on,buy the way compost isnt to hot for seedlings or germ in the whole world depend on straight up shit for growing what we eat one way or the other and growing outdoors it your best friend with a tea for your plants,when they start to flower you want to drop the compost tea so your not drunking them with nitrogen just saying ,flowers depend more on the P and k ,you dont want to just cut out the N but not near as much if you dig,with auto's you dont want to be moving them around or diging them up they picky bitchs your mix sounds good to me,i dont use perlite either,vermiculite much better and it doesnt have buffers and such that i see,my soil builds are the buffer,i use woodash instead of lime,dont like lime ,some langbenite for potash,kelp for phos or bone meals always keep a plant happy,lime clash with bone meal thats why i dont like it,also using wood ash it leaching out quicker and helpful if you want to drop soil ph for growing something else,blood and bone meal works really good just dont over do the blood meal,another tip for controling bugs and 4 legged critter is make a ring around your plant with the blood meal just leave it right on top the ground,animals smell blood and be gone,my deer really dont like it ,when i reamend my containers in my small garden they wont even come to fence were i can had feed them for about 2 weeks

xPeacePipex

xPeacePipex

Doing exactly the opposite here, with temp at 83 degrees and RH at 73%.. I'm going to say that if it gets as hot as the quoted high, I'll just put them in a shady place during the peak of the heats intensity verses bringing indoors. A 90 watt though should be just fine ..

xPeacePipex

xPeacePipex

I have brought all of my seedlings outside for the best possible start..

J

jimmib67

great. thanks for the advice. since the 40w leds should suffice and temps are going to drop next week. i'll keep the strongest in the shade and put the other two weeker ones under lights until next week. I think the one ANQ is a goner but ill see and another lesson learned.

Top Bottom