Seeds dried out on paper towel.

• Thread starter Snowman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Snowman

Hey Farmers,

Looking for a little help and maybe some hope. Let me explain what happened.

I soaked my seeds in water for 48 hours until they cracked and a small tap root was showing.
I then placed them on a wet paper towel between two paper plates.

About 24 hours later I checked them and the paper towel dried out and I could no longer see a tap root. I thought for sure they were dead.

Out of desperation I resoaked the paper towel and placed them into a ziplock bag.

This morning when I checked them the tap root was back, white and with no discoloration.

I guess my question is has anyone had this happen before and have the seeds lived?

Thanks in advance.

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

Yes, I am sure that has happened to just about everybody. If the tails are back and in good color you should be ok. The good thing is you prob wont do it again for awhile;) I always put an extra wet paper towel on top of the other to keep a little more moisture around.

mushface

mushface

Hey Farmers,

Looking for a little help and maybe some hope. Let me explain what happened.

I soaked my seeds in water for 48 hours until they cracked and a small tap root was showing.
I then placed them on a wet paper towel between two paper plates.

About 24 hours later I checked them and the paper towel dried out and I could no longer see a tap root. I thought for sure they were dead.

Out of desperation I resoaked the paper towel and placed them into a ziplock bag.

This morning when I checked them the tap root was back, white and with no discoloration.

I guess my question is has anyone had this happen before and have the seeds lived?

Thanks in advance.
I had the same thing happen to me when I used a paper plate. I didn't think to re-soak them because the looked withered up so I tossed them. It seems like yours made a comeback. GL with ur grow.

S

Snowman

I had the same thing happen to me when I used a paper plate. I didn't think to re-soak them because the looked withered up so I tossed them. It seems like yours made a comeback. GL with ur grow.

Yes mine were looking very dry and dead also. When I was re wetting and placeing them in ziplock bags......I felt like I was wasting time, but didnt know what else to do. At the time Iwas sure they were dead.

If anyone else searches this thread for answers mine were soaked in cups till tap roots broke out. Then placed on wet paper towels between papre plates and left unchecked for about 24 hours where the paper towel dried out completely. When I looked at them I could no longer see a taproot and the seed was a very light brown.

My theory was there still must have been some moisture inside the seed pod and the taproot retreated back into the seed pod for water. I dont know how much longer they would have made it but 24 hours was my experiance.

They have all made it into a medium ill let you know how many make it above ground.

Thanks for the info and well wishes.

L

Lizardo

Hi, I've just done the exact same thing. Feeling worried as the poor things looked as dry as biscuits! Would it be advisable to soak them in water cups again? or just re-soak the paper towel? Thanks

Organica

Organica

Why dont you guys use a little Tupperware instead?? No air in or out. But its a million times easier to just wet your soil put the uncracked seeds in and cover with saran wrap till they sprout. I use to germ in the paper towel, but its a pain in the ass for all it does.

Latest posts

Top Bottom