seeds germ in paper then fizzle in soil

• Thread starter GDub51
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

Everyone has thier own method to germinate. I personally put them in small cups with lids and about a half inch of distilled water. They usually start off floating, sink once they absorb water and then pop and grow thier tail all within 1-3 days. Once they have a little tail I pour them out into the prepared peat pot without touching, gently nudge the seed tail down with a chopstick if it lands funny, and gently cover with about a quarter inch of dirt. I then spray the dirt with a spray bottle till moist. They usually live in a dome for about a week then in open air. After another week, I put the peat pot in a gallon pot, so they are not really disturbed, sometimes I tear the bottom off the peat if I don't see roots attached, just to make root growth a little easier, but they grow through without a problem. I only had one seed not make it this year.

TSD

TSD

the last one i germinated, i used a jiffy peat pellet. i saw here to rip off the net part that is around it. the root had already grown through it, so when i took it off the root broke off. it still grew, and looks good. it is 4 weeks old and looks fine. i just dont think they are so picky they all drop dead because of how you germinate them. i think it is the soil. just my opinion. but the fun seems to be to talk about germination.

unless the guy actually cooked his seeds, i cant see a paper towel, a glass of water, or planting with your left hand while saluting with the right, has anything to do with his plants dying twice in a row. the thing they had in common is the soil and the guy. from the account, they germinated, they lasted a bit (we dont know how long), and then, after the germination, they died.
Yeah they can be pretty fragile during seedling stage. Sounds like maybe they dried out or something before they could grow roots? I always keep my babies in a dome for a week with high humidity until they have sufficient roots to drink from the soil.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Another vote for soaking in light proof container for 24 hours; distilled or RO water. Once they sprout i put them in rapid rooters that go in a humidity dome with buckets of T5 light. Once they're rooted through it's time to move on. Thanks to Aqua Man, the fisherman, and others for pointing me to the soak method.

I usually put them in rooting bubblers in 3" Delta blocks (5" netpots with hydroton), but i'm rethinking this as there have been good arguments made that rockwool cubes may retain too much moisture for R/DWC and foster root rot.

GDub51

GDub51

You cooked your seeds in a microwave for 3 minutes then baked it outside in the sun for 3 days?? wtf?!
I was referring to the soil, kept in their cups to sterilize both. The failed seeds were long removed of course.

Farmer88

Farmer88

Put in a cup of water. I use tap. Soak up to 24 hours until they sink. Plant into 4in pots or cups or whatever. Pack soil in cups and add a light layer on top. You can also use covering of vermiculite if your soil is dense. Water soil before planting. Seeds will germ after about three days. Spray with water out of a spray bottle to keep soil moist. Never used a cover. Warm area. Lights 24in away at 20%. Getting around 95% germ rate from bag seed.

william76

william76

1 other thing,use latex gloves when transferring the seed from paper to soil( or when doing any work with seedlings/cuts) the germs we carry around can be detrimental to young uns as well!.76

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I’d put some of your sterile dirt in a solo cup water it. Sick your seed in it and leave it alone until you water it again. Skip the paper towel, it does nothing to help the seed germinate. Just put it in dirt and water it pretty well when it feels light. Also, the seed could be carrying the pathogen too maybe dust it with a fungicide powder before planting. I think misting it or the soil around it is contributing to your problems.
+1

Madbud

Madbud

I was referring to the soil, kept in their cups to sterilize both. The failed seeds were long removed of course.
I germinate in soil, 3/4 full in case the seedling stretches there is space to add more soil for support. I plant deep, close to an inch so the shell gets pulled off by the soil. Cover the cup airtight so moisture stays in the soil until the seed sprouts on the third day. No guesswork, works every time, any seeds. Soaking is for older seeds, like lubricant.

GDub51

GDub51

Thanks for all the basics folks, but I don't need basics. I'm an experienced grower and never had this problem before. No, I don't use gloves as I NEVER TOUCH A SEED WITH MY HANDS! I use a sterilized springless seed tweezer made for this purpose. Has anyone got any ideas beyond regurgitating the basics of seed propagation 101? Now, with all the time lost it looking like this whole season is a bust. Maybe I'll try to get by with some auto's but I've never had one I liked. And forget Bomb Seeds; 30 seeds from them yielded two runt plants and they say they're too busy to help. "Soaking is for older seeds"... yeah well after ten days between wet paper towels in a plate sandwich on a propagator matt these one year old seeds look the same as the day they were put in there. In the past all seeds that popped did so within 48 hours of being on the propagator.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Thanks for all the basics folks, but I don't need basics. I'm an experienced grower and never had this problem before. No, I don't use gloves as I NEVER TOUCH A SEED WITH MY HANDS! I use a sterilized springless seed tweezer made for this purpose. Has anyone got any ideas beyond regurgitating the basics of seed propagation 101? Now, with all the time lost it looking like this whole season is a bust. Maybe I'll try to get by with some auto's but I've never had one I liked. And forget Bomb Seeds; 30 seeds from them yielded two runt plants and they say they're too busy to help. "Soaking is for older seeds"... yeah well after ten days between wet paper towels in a plate sandwich on a propagator matt these one year old seeds look the same as the day they were put in there. In the past all seeds that popped did so within 48 hours of being on the propagator.
experienced grower, better re read your first post. your mistakes are all that you listed there..

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

For real though. You may be over doing it. Soak the soil a day ahead. Plant the germinated seed. Your close to the coast so humidity is probably ok. Ur spraying the soil 6 times a day is killing them in my opinion. U could probably go close to a week without watering.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

I also had a friend who when we were kids used to microwave his joints to make them tighter so who really knows anything!!! Good luck!!!

Madbud

Madbud

Regurgitate this, soak the seeds in a bowl of water, plant the ones that sink. Paper towels are for dorm rooms.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
it is the dirt. get new dirt and it will be fine.

as you said, you have experience. cant be the basics, so i suggest you have a weird bacteria, or along that line, in your dirt.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

the last one i germinated, i used a jiffy peat pellet. i saw here to rip off the net part that is around it. the root had already grown through it, so when i took it off the root broke off. it still grew, and looks good. it is 4 weeks old and looks fine. i just dont think they are so picky they all drop dead because of how you germinate them. i think it is the soil. just my opinion. but the fun seems to be to talk about germination.

unless the guy actually cooked his seeds, i cant see a paper towel, a glass of water, or planting with your left hand while saluting with the right, has anything to do with his plants dying twice in a row. the thing they had in common is the soil and the guy. from the account, they germinated, they lasted a bit (we dont know how long), and then, after the germination, they died.
Never a need to pull that netting off they grow through it like nothing... hell in rdwc they grow through and break the net pots... roots are extremely forceful

Madbud

Madbud

@GDub51 seems you’re not the only one disappointed in that seed company, was just reading an old thread by greatlakes, she mentioned her disappointment with bomb last year. Not you, its probably the seeds. Sorry Dude.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

This will help;

Sprout
Turnaround 2

I poke them into dixie cup dirt, about 1 centimeter, pointy end up.
That's how they fall to the ground naturally, and this is why they do that.

Aloha,
Wee zard

Top Bottom