Seeds Sprouted no compost HELP

• Thread starter anthony6969
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

anthony6969

My seeds have sprouted today with half inch root is it possible to just put them into some soil out of my garden until i buy some compost on tuesday

H

Hazeseeker

Hi Anthony,
i'm guessing you've got them in wet kitchen paper at the minute?, i'd be a bit worried about using dirt from the garden, i remember trying this the very first time i found a seed in some bud, the amount of insects n bugs that was in that little container was unreal, if possible i'd try and get down to the Garden centre as soon as possible, just get some cheap compost from there, or do you have either root riot cubes or perlite laying about the house?

Peace
Hazeseeker

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Soil from the garden will work in a pinch, but hazeseeker makes some good points.

Usually soil from gardens has a tendency to retain lots of water and not drain well so be real careful not to overwater. Take note of how heavy the cup/pot is with dry dirt and use that as a benchmark for watering needs.

A

anthony6969

i have put the 2 that have sprouted into the soil from the garden and just going to see how they go and the other 2 seeds i am just going to leave in the paper towel's untill i get paid tuesday. u are right the soil was full of little egg thing i squashed 1 to see if they were eggs and laods off puss came out, i dont no what they are but im guessing they will be bad for the plants, when i get the soil on tue ill have a little dig into the pots which have the seeds and prob transplant them into the new compost, i would rather lose the two that are in the soil from the garden than put the garden ones with my compost plants then the bugs from the garden kill all 4 of my plants

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
gnats maybe, nasty fucks. As long as the pots are separate you won't get them in your others but I would transplant them anyway as they do much better in prepared soil. Wash the roots off gently when you transplant and inspect carefully.

B

BITYmagicBeanz

keep everything clean mate. try not too rush things if you dont have the stuff ready. and try not bring the out doors in doors. use gnat off before you get infested

A

anthony6969

Thats what ill do ill wash off the roots them translpant them, they are in the boiler cubard now which is no were near my grow tent so would i still have to use natt off or can i just get away with washing off the roots, what do natts do to the plants. i am in uk dont no about use so the buggs could be diffrent, might just buy some anyways to be on the safe side

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Washing them should suffice as long as you inspect carefully. We not talking a bucket full of hydro roots here. Roots don't generally like light so I wouldn't do it in full sun.
;)
Take your time and be certain nothing remains.

H

hailstone

I've heard of people heating soil they've dug up from outdoors in the oven to kill any pests it may contain. Relatively low heat (like 100 celsius or something) for a couple of hours should do the trick..

Never tried it myself but it does sound like something that could work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom